Pipe Majors Indian Army

aboode

I am compiling a list of Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums worldwide and have at the moment details of over 1800 Pipe Majors. I would like to know the names of the past and present Pipe Majors in the Indian Army. Can anyone help me?
Thanks and regards
Aad Boode
Livingston, Scotland

pmaitra

What is a Pipe Major? I am sorry, I am not aware of this term.

I know what is a bagpiper and a bagpipe.

aboode

Pipe Majors in the Indian Army

I am new to this forum and I live in Scotland, just west of the capital Edinburgh.
My interest is Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums worldwide and I have at the moment details of over 1800 Pipe Majors. Although I know that most infantry battalions and Regimental Centres in India have a Pipe Band (often called Pipes & Drums) I have very little information about their Pipe Majors, with the exception of the 4th Battalion of the 3rd Gorkha Rifles (I have a complete list since 1964). The Pipe Major is the director of bagpipe music in a Pipe Band, although in some countries they may have a different title.
I would also like to know if any of the Indian military Pipes & Drums have released CDs.
Your help will be appreciated.
Aad Boode

pmaitra

Perhaps you should send a PM to Ray Sir. His user id is 'Ray' and he probably knows.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Pipe Major - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An early photograph of a Pipe Major of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
The Pipe Major is the director of bagpipe music in a Scottish or Irish pipe band. Like the appointment of Drum Major, the position of Pipe Major is derived from British Army traditions. During the early twentieth century, the term Sergeant Piper was used for the role in place of "Pipe Major".

Civilian and military pipe bands usually assign a Pipe Major. Apart from being an outstanding musician, a Pipe Major should by tradition be an educated person well-versed in the history of bagpipe music as well as the history of their clan or regiment. The Pipe Major of a pipe band is usually assisted by a Pipe Sergeant.

Whether it is a civilian or military pipe band, the Pipe Major is usually responsible for:

Band administrative work
Selection, compilation and arrangement of tunes for the band's repertoire
Acting as a musical director and leading band rehearsals
Coordination of the band's performance schedule
Conducting and arranging for solo performance at weddings, funerals, dinners, and other functions
Training learning and beginning pipers

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I love this stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:

aboode

aggi74
I sent you an email on 15 April; did you receive this?
Aad

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles