Physical strength of our armymen

thethinker

Country flag
Source : What are the physical requirements to join Indian Army?

IA doc : http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/RTI/rti/rect_procedure_offrs&or_army.pdf

IA PFT :

One has to go for the Physical Fitness Tests (PFT) carrying following events of 100 marks in all.

(a) 1 Mile Run
(b) Pull Ups
(c) Balance
(d) 9 Feet Ditch

Details of the marks awarded in each test individually.

(a) 1 Mile Run
(i) 5.40 Mins and below - 60 Mks
(ii) 5.41 Mins to 5.50 - 48 Mks
(iii) 5.51 Mins to 6.00 - 36 Mks
(iv) 6.01 Mins to 6.20 - 24 Mks

(b) Pull Ups
(i) 10 and above - 40 Mks
(ii) 9 - 32 Mks
(iii) 8 - 28 Mks
(iv) 7 - 21 Mks
(v) 6 - 16 Mks

(c) Balance & 9 Feet Ditch
These are qualifying tests hence no marks are awarded.

Last edited:

Snuggy321

Source : What are the physical requirements to join Indian Army?

IA doc : http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/RTI/rti/rect_procedure_offrs&or_army.pdf

IA PFT :

One has to go for the Physical Fitness Tests (PFT) carrying following events of 100 marks in all.

(a) 1 Mile Run
(b) Pull Ups
(c) Balance
(d) 9 Feet Ditch

Details of the marks awarded in each test individually.

(a) 1 Mile Run
(i) 5.40 Mins and below - 60 Mks
(ii) 5.41 Mins to 5.50 - 48 Mks
(iii) 5.51 Mins to 6.00 - 36 Mks
(iv) 6.01 Mins to 6.20 - 24 Mks

(b) Pull Ups
(i) 10 and above - 40 Mks
(ii) 9 - 32 Mks
(iii) 8 - 28 Mks
(iv) 7 - 21 Mks
(v) 6 - 16 Mks

(c) Balance & 9 Feet Ditch
These are qualifying tests hence no marks are awarded.
Mhh pretty low emphasis on upper body strength, anyways, I could join with very high marks, depending on my mental and physical condition on the testing day

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
That reminds me that I enlisted for Infantry. After Basic Training I was sent to MP School. When I asked why, I was told, "you're tall and look good in your uniform." :rolleyes: Was in a few parades, too, and they were a lot of work.

The short guys ended up in tanks or were paratroopers.
I think I have seen US military guys doing proper workouts with weights and having small gyms in their bases. Many of them have good bodies.

Can you confirm if US folks are provided all that once they join in?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I think this is current for US Army. The link shows tables based on age for men and women.

Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)

I hate running, it makes me vomit.
Is this for real since I guess I can get really good marks and join US Army....just that I hate running but within a month I can catch up.

Also is there any bench press or weights etc criteria as well??

Blood+

Country flag
Hey @Kunal Biswas sir,are you absolutely sure that average height of Indian soldiers stands at 5'7"??I mean it's not like I'm questioning your knowledge or something,but my experience has been quite different.
For example,I've been to J&K,Sikkim,Arunachal Pradesh multiple times;I've got relatives near the Barrackpur and Dumdum Army Cantonments - in all these places,most of the soldiers and officers if not all were either towering well above me or atleast of same heights as me and at ~5'11", I'm not that short either!!

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Is this for real since I guess I can get really good marks and join US Army....just that I hate running but within a month I can catch up.

Also is there any bench press or weights etc criteria as well??
You could train with weights but the APFT is sit-ups, push-ups, and 2 mi. run.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I think I have seen US military guys doing proper workouts with weights and having small gyms in their bases. Many of them have good bodies.

Can you confirm if US folks are provided all that once they join in?
Every US Army base has a gym and a running track.. They also have McDonalds, pool halls and beer joints.

Twinblade

Country flag
Mhh pretty low emphasis on upper body strength, anyways, I could join with very high marks, depending on my mental and physical condition on the testing day
Everybody thinks that way. For an average army recruitment drive, thousands of boys show up and the quota is only for a few dozen. Unless you are scoring highest marks in each category, forget about it.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
As an update, US Army is looking to change physical requirements according to military occupational specialty.

Chris Jude

Country flag
And by the way US army criterion's don't apply here because we fight a different war than them, and our men are the best at it, in one of the Indian Army training videos I heard an Officer explain that our men run 20 km, 4 days a week with their backpack, and 40 km 2 days a week, is that enough, I bet even the best Marine/ Seal/or Berret wouldn't do that, So our men are the best, we don't need hunks, we need men of steel, and that's what our men are, Salute you Jawan's and Officers in the Army!

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
1,500 turn up doped at Army recruitment drive
Published February 13, 2016
SOURCE: TNN

On a day when the nation grieved the loss of Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, nearly 1,500 youngsters from UP were caught trying to cheat their way into the Indian Army by using performance enhancing drugs, including steroids and opium. Not stopping at that, many had brought with them fake rubber stamps of gazetted officers at the open Army recruitment camp at Mainpuri on Friday.

Of the 7,000 candidates who appeared for the test, close to 1,500 were promptly banned for using fraudulent means and indulging in other malpractices on the first day of the recruitment drive, which will continue till February 20.

Confirming this, Col Srikant Narayan, director (recruiting) for Army Recruitment Officer (ARO) Agra told TOI that drugs and other banned items were seized during the frisking that precedes registration of candidates. He said as per norms, candidates are registered at about 3 am and their physical endurance tests, which include a one-mile (1.6 km) race, commence after three hours at 6 am.

Col Narayan said though they do not conduct dope tests on candidates, there is a gap of over two hours between the registration and the tests, which is enough time for the effect of any performance enhancing drugs to wear off. He said besides the drugs, fake rubber stamps of district-level officials were also seized from some candidates.
“The fake stamps were apparently meant for attesting documents that a candidate is usually supposed to bring with him for verification of his domicile, qualifications and so on,” the Army officer added. The recruitment drive is currently being held for the districts of Hathras, Mathura, Kasganj, Firozabad, Aligarh and Mainpuri.

While Narayan did not give the exact number of candidates who were caught with these drugs, he said the number was “significantly large enough”. However, Army sources said the number could even be close to 2,000. Sources said the majority of drugs that were seized included steroid injections such as Deca-Durabolin and Deca-Ranbisol as well as opium, which enhance physical performance. Besides, large quantities of painkillers, cough syrups and pain-relieving gels were also recovered. Army officials later burnt all the seized items.

Incidentally, attempts to use physical enhancement drugs to clear Army recruitment tests are quite common and there have been several such instances in the past across the country, particularly in Haryana and Punjab. In Punjab, which has an extremely high incidence of drug abuse, the Army has started conducting dope tests at their recruitment camps.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Actually this1.6 km in 6 minute is totally wrong or in theory ,in reality and in every General Bharti rally (I mean non relative recruitment) the real time is under 6 minutes.

Between 5.40 - 6 minutes to more precise that too when 400 candidates run in one Go.

Written test has a very very low importance in GD bharti except clerical exam where their is height relaxation too.

Each and Every youngster who is preparing for army is utterly lean due to the efforts they put in running practice at least twice a day.

Also in general Bharti the tallest guys are allotted Brigade of the Guards l,the minimum height is 170 cm.

Only and only 2 things count - Running and medical.

Bornubus

True ..But Sir ..One we attend AF Selection in Thanjavur early 2012 .The PFT includes 1600 meters in 5min ..but there most of them finished nearly 4 min ..But the Selection committee selects the First 10 Peoples ..about the Heights they will say 160cm if more crowd means it will increased ..!!!
There is no way a candidate finish an army race in nearly 4 minutes.

Excellent run and highest numbers are between 4.50 - 5.20 mins.

Last edited:

Bornubus

Ohh my bad:shocked: i used think that you were a Jewish person,anyway do you know if it's possible for an Indian(person having a Jewish background) to be a part of the I.D.F.?
There are many Indians who are serving in IDF as we speak,even in elite Golani Brigade a Mumbai Jew has been selected recently.

Google it.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
There are many Indians who are serving in IDF as we speak,even in elite Golani Brigade a Mumbai Jew has been selected recently.

Google it.
Interesting.
Was this guy an Indian citizen when he served Israel?
Does India allow its citizens to join foreign armies? In many countries it is a crime for citizens to join foreign armies or work as mercenaries. In India also it may be a crime, with some exceptions (Nepal??)
I know the Republic of India normally doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Bornubus

Interesting.
Was this guy an Indian citizen when he served Israel?
Does India allow its citizens to join foreign armies? In many countries it is a crime for citizens to join foreign armies or work as mercenaries. In India also it may be a crime, with some exceptions (Nepal??)
I know the Republic of India normally doesn't allow dual citizenship.
He is not an Indian citizen any more.The guy name is Ronen Bridvaker,he migrated to Israel after 2008 and took Israeli citizenship.

135115803281754455a_b.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles