Photojournalist gang-raped in Mumbai

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by praneetbajpaie, Aug 23, 2013.

1. praneetbajpaie

praneetbajpaie Tihar Jail Banned

The Mumbai police, probing the shocking gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman photojournalist, has released the sketches of all five accused.

It has also picked up about 20 people for questioning but has obtained no leads in the case so far, even as it has formed special teams across the city to investigate into the matter.

"So far about 20 suspects have been grilled but we could not get any lead. Our efforts are on to track down the accused," a police officer involved in the probe, told PTI.

A special squad has been formed by the local police as well as by the Crime Branch to probe the case and investigators have fanned out across the city to trace the accused.

"We have taken the case very seriously and are working on it on a war-footing. We have activated all our informers and at the same time released sketches of the five accused. We hope to catch the accused soon," said a police official.

Photojournalist gang-raped in Mumbai, sketches of all 5 accused released | Business Standard

Dear God, what is happening?

DEJAVU likes this.
  3. praneetbajpaie

praneetbajpaie Tihar Jail Banned

Mumbai Journalist gangrape case cracked, two arrested

MUMBAI: Moving swiftly, Mumbai Police on claimed to have cracked last evening's gangrape case of a photojournalist, with the arrest of two of the five alleged accused.

Police sources said two of the accused were arrested this morning on the basis of the statement of the victim after a manhunt was launched for them in the wake of a massive public outrage. Efforts are on to apprehend others, they said.

Mumbai Journalist gangrape case cracked, two arrested - The Economic Times

Now for some exemplary punishment. Only thing I can think of is Capital Punishment

4. kseeker

kseeker Retired

Chop off their dicks :darthvader:

HeinzGud, SPIEZ, SilentKiller and 2 others like this.
  5. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

I prefer chemical castration. A useless appendage, forever dangling from their waists, forever reminding them of their crime.

6. Decklander

Decklander New Member

IMHO, a few types of punishments from Manu Smriti which are more stringent than what Sharia has, should be implemented for rapists. In Islam, it calls for death by stoning. In Manu Smriti, it talks of roasting a guy on hot metal plates till he dies. And this shud be done publicly for everyone to see and beware of committing such crime.
    I know will be called, "Fit to be a nazi camp commandant". But this is the only way left now. At the same time, we must now stop calling these third rate individuals who are known as judges in India, "Your Lordship". These are the biggest culprits and villains of our society. It is bcoz of them that our democracy has failed.

kseeker likes this.
  7. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Clearly there needs to be severe punishment to deter sexual crimes which are rampant in India (this has nothing to do with other countries with similar crimes). However harsh punishments cannot exist in a vacuum. A proper legal system has to be proficient and efficient in prosecuting criminals. Until the entire legal system is deemed credible, harsh punishments cannot be meted out. The last thing you want is for people in power to abuse the system in order to target innocents for political or other personal reasons.

I think it's time India creates a separate legal branch just to deal with crimes against women and children. This would require separate fast tracked courts and police units with specialized training in dealing with sex crimes, particularly in collection of evidence. From a jurisprudence point of view one good thing about sex crimes is that you have damning biological evidence that can prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt. However unless the evidence is properly gathered, handled and analyzed there cannot be credible convictions and harsh sentencing.

From a punitive point I think chemical and physical castration should be put on the table as an option.

8. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Chemical castration requires maintaining constant dosage of androgen antagonists; it isn't permanent. This means someone has to make sure the sentenced criminal adheres to the drug schedule. There's no point in chemically castrating a criminal while in prison. It has to be done after serving the terms of the sentence when the criminal is released back into society.

For criminals convicted of horrifyingly brutal sex offenses I think physical castration ought to be considered.

HeinzGud likes this.
  9. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Isn't this mentioned in the Garuda Purana.

10. rusellviper89

rusellviper89 Regular Member

When ever such a news come in our media people talk about hang the bastard castrate him. No one talks about the root cause that is weak legal system having low conviction rate and Social mentality. We will have to concentrate on fundamentals in our society to really bring any change.

11. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Root is weak police investigation. You want court to hang people without evidence ? Without evidence hands of court are tied.

rock127 likes this.
  12. LalTopi

LalTopi Regular Member

And what does Manu Smriti say if the rapist is of the Brahmin caste?

13. nirranj

nirranj Regular Member

these will become normal in future as the moral levels in the society is going down rapidly.

First Children of both sex should be taught to treat each other as equals... and the govt should be more stringent on violence on women in the films and all sort of media inclusive of internet...

I overheard what school boys (probably studying class 9 or 10) were speaking among themselves a couple of months ago in a saloon... "hey, I was bored in that class and that teacher was wearing the saree in such a way I couldn't even get glimpses of her "_____" and so I started to play the blue film in my chinese handset :mad: ....

the other boy probably from another class replies as follows "atleast you had the opportunity to watch the blue film... can you send me the film across in bluetooth??"

they used unimaginable words to describe their women teachers... I got pissed off... the barber got irritated and at one moment he yelled at them to go away as he was not able to concentrate and is irritated...

really scary on how the nations younger generations are growing up...

14. Coalmine

Coalmine Regular Member

^^^Children from 5th standard or even lower give maa behan ki gaali. This is way back in 2005.
    Practical solution will be lashes like 10 or 15 lashes for molesters for 1 month everyday like singapore

15. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Actually @LalTopi the punishment is more if the culprit is a Brahmin, even between man and woman as per `Manu Smriti` the punishment is less severe for the same crime if committed by a female. Will post links if I find.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  16. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Its most severe for Brahmins and Kshatriyas as Manu smriti distinguishes between learned and illitrates while awarding punishment. Brahmins ans Kshatriyas are supposed to protect the society and if they indulge in such acts, it is considered a much bigger crime.

17. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Ok i donot want to comment on present issue

But what i wanted to know is what women(/child) department are doing this.i mean in centre as well as in statse their women and child welfare department as well as comission.what are their jobs.they get money from government.how they spent this money.is their any account kept of it.

When they are going to start this money on training women /child for self defence

Are this commission (/departments) for organising kitty party only.

This commission always consisted of person who are near&dear`s one of the political party in power

18. LalTopi

LalTopi Regular Member

This is what I found in the attached link. look at pages 58 and table of punishments from page 59. All clearly referenced to the original Manusmriti versus. looks like pretty much one sided in favour of Bhramins to me, and is probably reflective of when the Manusmriti was written - I.e much later than the original Vedas when Bhraminism was on the defensive against Bhudism after the collapse of the Mauryan empire.

http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/5133/7/07_chapter%201.pdf

parijataka likes this.
  19. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks , I got it exactly wrong.

20. LalTopi

LalTopi Regular Member

This ShodGanga site is a good source for original research. I got the link from @Simple_Guy when he posted in the Gujarat Warriors thread. Below is the link to this particular research, but there is also a good search facility for all other research.

Indian ETD Repository @ INFLIBNET: Law as an instrument of social change a sociological study of the scheduled castes and the scheduled tribes (prevention of atrocities) act, 1989 in Gujarat

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  21. Decklander

Decklander New Member

You seem to have poor knowledge of things and seem unable to follow or understand english.
    http://vedpuran.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/manusmriti.pdf
    I posting link to complete Manu Smriti fro you. Capital Punishment is prescribed for all including Brahman but the brahmins were not put to death as they were supposed to live by begging and by teaching the society. Tonsuring the head of a Brahman is like throwing him out of society and as good as killing him as after death he will float around in Preta form and will not be born again. That is end of him with no chance of Moksh as he will not be born again to atone for his sins while a Shudra gets born again.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013