Philippines Overtakes India as Hub of Call Centers

Param

Unfortunately, many of them are girls that are generally kinda cute and wear makeup and all that so punching them isn't an option. Just wish I could put them on "mute".
How about molesting.....wait a minute, now I know why there are so many molestion cases in the capital:D

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Btw Mr.Ewald have you used Turbo Tax?
Yes, and it was convenient to file online, but now I go to the H&R Block office. After my second divorce my taxes were more complicated.:frusty:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Competition is never to be frowned upon. It is a good sign. Although Philippines need to take the curve as anyone else has had to, as India did, while we can move higher up in the value chain, such as consulting and high end technology.
It is high time India leaped to the next step - being the architect and not the laborer. Lets build some Operating systems and Packaged software technologies like SAP, Oracle .. or we'll always be just the call center guys, only difference being that we'll now fall in a league that has the likes of Philippines. No offense meant :)

Regards,
Virendra

Param

Yes, and it was convenient to file online, but now I go to the H&R Block office. After my second divorce my taxes were more complicated.:frusty:
I see. Anyone using TT and calling Customer service generally talks to an Indian the rest talk mostly to Filipinos. A friend of mine who happens to be a manager at that call center says Filipinos understand American accents better.

Poseidon

Country flag
If Govt is able to replace call centers with manufacturing sector nothing will be better than that.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
There are two sides to the results of IT recruitment in India. In a way there has been plenty of job opportunities for deserving candidates at a reasonable levels of competition. However it is also not helping the other sectors like manufacturing, struggling to find core talent. I've seen Civil and Mechanical engineers joining outsourcing based IT companies as freshers. Many don't want to, they have little choice. From the first glance of it it was clear - they are a grossly under utilized resource pool.
Other sectors aren't yet up to challenging IT in mass recruitment. The sooner they start, the better it is.
It seems herd mentality works too well in India. Everything that is well marketed is eventually well received. IT/ITES takes the cake in India.

Regards,
Virendra

DMF

The lost of outsourcing job is a serious setback, India have a huge population, so works are needed. one time I were in Dubai, the office have 5 or 6 Indian staffs, it's really difficult for me to understand these friends English, when Indian friends talked to me, I always need to beggar my pardon, I admit my English very limited, but the accent really little strong, but after a while you get used to it.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Relax. Outsourcing is going nowhere and by the time it goes, we'd up in the value chain with better things to do.
A job goes to those who do it cheap, by schedule and quality standards. Rest of the things don't matter.
Till we have those capabilities, we'll do enough for ourselves.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I only watch the interviews... helps me come to grips with why the fortunate young generation aren't pulling India forwards.
Same here. I watched quite a lot of the personal interviews on youtube for timepass. A complete deluge of morons exists in our country. Too many young idiots with no brains.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I see. Anyone using TT and calling Customer service generally talks to an Indian the rest talk mostly to Filipinos. A friend of mine who happens to be a manager at that call center says Filipinos understand American accents better.
My experience with an Indian call center was with a re-install of Microsoft Windows (don't remember the version). It was a lengthy and somewhat frustrating process, but the fellow at the other end of the line was so pleasant and patient I felt I had to reciprocate. :)

Country flag
This is a good development computer problems/IT problems can be the most distressing experiences and to have India disassociate from this bad time is a positive.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles