Petrol, Diesel or Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by pmaitra, Jun 22, 2012.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Petrol, Diesel or Hybrid?

Should GoI adopt an official policy of favouring any particular type of fuel? If yes, what should it be? Why? What could be the impact on the economy and environment?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. ashicjose

ashicjose Regular Member

Choose bio-fuel
    http://blog.sigsiv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/kumarakam-059.jpg
    these kinds of green weed, its called african payal in kerala causing problems for fishing and transportation.It has a ability to multiply in short time GOV and public tried hard to get rid of them but never succeeded.If the GOV think converting this to bio-fuel it will be a very cheap alternative for the hydrocarbon.
    https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/i...mSP__EUogguaHTK5lrbgUz7wbkCxJX_edFB0mCFcd7GeA
    https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/i...qg_wuJp1XqYBdtTCozcNOw10TovqmTYhUUIalGmTcP-cb
    https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/i...xkpO_PqhjOq1XUBiFA-e2pJBhVzCSseqxl4-jMnvftrLg

check this .... http://blog.sigsiv.com/2008/04/cruising-the-backwaters-of-kerala.html

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    pmaitra likes this.
  4. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Unless we have energy produced from nuclear reactors I wouldn't suggest Hybrids in India. Perhaps the electricity used by hybrids to run 100 kilometres would generate more pollution that it would produce by burning petrol.

Right now, I feel with the current technology in CRDI, diesel vehicles are less polluting. I think govt. should hike the diesel prices and favor it since it provides the maximum mileage. At the same time make better roads and decongest the roads to reduce fuel consumption and pollution.

trackwhack and pmaitra like this.
  5. pmaitra

Although not included in the OP, we could also discuss a bit about LPG and CNG. I do not have much knowledge about this. Perhaps someone could shed some light?

6. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

^^ Government is actively discouraging CNG because they don't make money of it.

pmaitra likes this.
  7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Hybrid is the future. Indian govt should abolish tax on hybrid cars so that masses can afford it.

8. ashicjose

ashicjose Regular Member

Electric is the future............in coming days hydrocarbon going to be very expensive and the electricity produced from the solar ,wind,nuclear and ocean currents going to be the future source of the electricity.
    And going for the Bio-fuel will keep the Earth clean.

9. Blackwater

We are talking about India:taunt::taunt:

10. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

I would still like to see someone finish the miniturisation of hydrogen fuel cells. Running a car on water is badass.

11. ashicjose

ashicjose Regular Member

Ooops......India not in Earth ?:shocked:

12. ashicjose

ashicjose Regular Member

Hydrogen cars not in the reach of common man dear and there is always a chance of accident.

13. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

If someone would mass produce fuel cells it would lower the cost for common man dear. India could take the initiative since the biggest draw back is below freezing conditions... not going to find that much. Chance of accident is less than other vehicles if you have a secure tank. It is much less flammable than petrol and failure of batteries. If not fuel cells then nuclear power should be wide spread powering electric vehicles. France is taking this initiative.

14. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

DD spot on. Nuclear power is the only abundantly available source. Electric cars are the future : Instant Max torque. High efficiency due to very few contact moving parts. All wheel independent drive. The benefits are unlimited. It is a pity that GOI does not support small companies like Reva. Instead waste money and keep sending royalty to Japan.

15. Blackwater

\yes on earth but not in EU or western world

16. pmaitra

AshicJose, I agree, electric might be the future, but probably not the near future. It will take some time to make pure electric cars that can travel long distances, and build quick charging stations all over the country like petrol pumps, so that, people can make small stops to recharge instead of having to stop for 8 hours to charge. Therefore, BlackWater has a valid point. We need hybrids, so that petrol can take over when the battery runs out of juice.

17. pmaitra

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015