Peter Fuller Fired: Senior U.S. Officer In Afghanistan Relieved From Duty

JayATL

WASHINGTON -- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has fired a senior officer from his job as the No. 2 general in charge of training for making inappropriate public remarks about Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his government.

Gen. John Allen issued a statement Friday saying that Maj. Gen. Peter Fuller has been relieved of his duties as deputy commander for the Afghan training mission.

In a recent interview with the website Politico, Fuller characterized Afghan leaders as erratic, ungrateful and isolated from reality. The interview quotes him as saying Afghan leaders don't fully recognize America's sacrifices on their country's behalf.

Referring to Karzai's recent assertion that Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if Pakistan got into a war with the U.S., Fuller was quoted as calling the comments "erratic," adding, "Why don't you just poke me in the eye with a needle! You've got to be kidding me . I'm sorry, we just gave you $11.6 billion and now you're telling me, I don't really care?"

Fuller said the Afghans have at times made unreasonable requests for U.S. assistance.

"You can teach a man how to fish, or you can give them a fish," Fuller was quoted as saying. "We're giving them fish while they're learning, and they want more fish! (They say,) `I like swordfish, how come you're giving me cod?' Guess what? Cod's on the menu today."

Fuller also said the Afghans don't understand the extent to which the U.S. is in economic distress or the "sacrifices that America is making to provide for their security." He said the Afghans are "isolated from reality."

Allen said the "unfortunate comments" don't represent the solid U.S. relationship with the Afghan government.

"The Afghan people are an honorable people, and comments such as these will not keep us from accomplishing our most critical and shared mission – bringing about a stable, peaceful and prosperous Afghanistan," Allen said.

There was no indication whether Fuller will be reassigned or if he would retire.

Pentagon press secretary George Little said Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was aware of Fuller's remarks. Little said Panetta has full confidence in Allen's judgment with respect to his decision in this case.

A native of Andover, Mass., Fuller was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1980 after graduating from the University of Vermont with a bachelor of arts in history and political science. He also holds a master's degree in public administration from Shippensburg University in Shippensburg, Pa.

JayATL

He spoke the right words and sentiment , frustrated as military man for the disrespect shown to his troops.

Yet! he should have know it was inappropriate of an officer and gentleman...

I would have done it too...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Who invited America in Afghanistan at first place? Why US is sacrificing? Pack bags and go home if they are so much in problem. Usual BS.

JayATL

Who invited America in Afghanistan at first place? Why US is sacrificing? Pack bags and go home if they are so much in problem. Usual BS.
it was this silly thing called 911 ....

JayATL

And the one who has done it was found in the state whom US is still paying billions cowardly.
cant say I disagree- we need to get out of afghanistan after 10 plus years and we need to stop every aid to pakistan...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
cant say I disagree- we need to get out of afghanistan after 10 plus years and we need to stop every aid to pakistan...
That guy has made wrong statement in first place, there is no need for Afghans to be thankful to US in first place. US first used there country for a proxy war, and then supported the terrorists to concentrate against India, now the same monster is taking the toll on them. Karma is such a female dog.

JayATL

That guy has made wrong statement in first place, there is no need for Afghans to be thankful to US in first place. US first used there country for a proxy war, and then supported the terrorists to concentrate against India, now the same monster is taking the toll on them. Karma is such a female dog.
what da-is this guy for real? " supported the terrorists to concentrate against India" ? man can I please have someone here with half a ____ nvm. :shocked:

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I agree with what the General has said. Karzai has been erratic and quite frustrating for India too. Just after signing a deal with India he says he will support Pak and the whole brothers and twins thingy got repeated.

Afghans have to be thankful to the US as it threw out the Talibs. Yes the US has sacrificed quite a lot for Astan since 9/11. India would have seen far greater terrorism if the Talibs were in power today in Astan. That's why I dread the thought of the US forces leaving the region.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
what da-is this guy for real? " supported the terrorists to concentrate against India" ? man can I please have someone here with half a ____ nvm. :shocked:
Typical ignorant response. Huh I have no remorse US is getting kicked day in day out and begging to pakis to help them. You supported those terrorists from the beginning. Till those mofos where fighting SU and killing Indians you were happy and lecturing India on giving freedom to Kashmir and bla bla. Now the same one are killing you. You reap what you sow.

JayATL

I agree with what the General has said. Karzai has been erratic and quite frustrating for India too. Just after signing a deal with India he says he will support Pak and the whole brothers and twins thingy got repeated.

Afghans have to be thankful to the US as it threw out the Talibs. Yes the US has sacrificed quite a lot for Astan since 9/11. India would have seen far greater terrorism if the Talibs were in power today in Astan. That's why I dread the thought of the US forces leaving the region.
to top that - one of the sweetest deals to come out of it is India is sitting afghanistan nicely... this has to be a diplomatic and strategic coup for india, thanks to Uncle Sam.

JayATL

Typical ignorant response. Huh I have no remorse US is getting kicked day in day out and begging to pakis to help them. You supported those terrorists from the beginning. Till those mofos where fighting SU and killing Indians you were happy and lecturing India on giving freedom to Kashmir and bla bla. Now the same one are killing you. You reap what you sow.
who was happy that whatever SU stands for was killing indians? Americans? ... they had a hands off poli ...no actions taken what so ever and in fact dare say they really are pro -India.

you say americans suported terrorists against India and then I'm called ignorant.

whats going here? is this your mob control manager? ROFL

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager

Did karzai invited US to free them?

Adux

Country flag
General Officer is a military as well as a political position, He should have kept his mouth shut.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But I agree to the decision to relieve him. As a military man he should have kept his mouth shut and his political opinions private.

JayATL

Karzai was a non entity before the US came in.
thats so ironical you had to state that- because most afghanis don't know ( some survey I read lately) about 911. its been awhile and the younger generation in other countries are equally not aware of why the US went into that region....

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
who was happy that whatever SU stands for was killing indians? Americans? ... they had a hands off policy ... where did you get your assumption from?
Yes you where happy till the terrorists were killing us and not attacking west. Thinking that you are too smart and get rid of terrorism by just paying some money, as you are sitting thousands of miles away.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles