Pervez Musharraf facing Treason Case

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Ensure Pervez Musharraf does not leave Pakistan, SC tells govt

Pakistan's SC today ordered Pervez Musharraf to appear before the judges to answer allegations that he committed treason while in power.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's Supreme Court on Monday directed the government to ensure that Pervez Musharraf does not leave the country as it began hearing several petitions seeking the former military ruler's trial for treason for subverting the constitution and declaring emergency in 2007.

A two-judge bench led by Justice Jawad S Khwaja ordered the interior secretary to take steps to prevent Musharraf from travelling abroad.

The bench issued the directive after hearing initial arguments on five petitions asking the apex court to direct the government to prosecute Musharraf under the High Treason (Punishment) Act of 1973.

The bench also issued notices to the government, Musharraf and other respondents to respond to the petitions and adjourned the case till Tuesday.

The lawyers for the argued that the former military strongman had violated the Constitution by declaring an emergency in 2007 and should be put on trial for treason.

They pointed out that the Senate or upper house of parliament had passed a resolution in January 2012 that said Musharraf should be arrested on his return but the government had not acted on it.

The lawyers further argued that the government had failed to act on an earlier Supreme Court order that directed authorities take action against Musharraf for violating the Constitution.

Talking to reporters after the hearing, the lawyers for the petitioners said Musharraf should not be accorded "VIP protocol" as he is an accused in several cases.

They said the case against the former president in the Supreme Court would ensure that no one subverts the Constitution in future.

They said the generals and other persons who backed Musharraf should also be held accountable.

-PTI

Blackwater

all moves for Commando As.s mussshy seems to back fired. i have feeling that he will be the first paki Gernail in the history of ancient pakistan to be staying in jail for long time

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
all moves for Commando As.s mussshy seems to back fired. i have feeling that he will be the first paki Gernail in the history of ancient pakistan to be staying in jail for long time
Depends on what sort of assurances Kayani gave him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Depends on what sort of assurances Kayani gave him

When is Kayani supposed to retire ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
What is Paki SC worried about, Musharraf returned willingly.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles