Persian, Urdu, English or Arabic language in Pakistan?

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by Vinod2070, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

Persian, Urdu, English, or Arabic language in Pakistan?

Guys, we do have a dedicated thread to discuss Pakistani ideology and identity but it has become somewhat a mixed up thread. I came across this article that again highlights some issues related to Pakistan's identity.

It's a very long article, so I am not posting the contents here. Please do read in full.

The key highlight is the sense of drift, hatred, the need to hang on to the coat tails of others to get their own sense of identity, the need to hate India just for the sake of it, the inability to look within to find their own identity and much more.

Fascinating!

3. Vinod2070

Some excerpts.

[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

4. Vinod2070

Some more..

5. Vinod2070

This shows the sense of drift.

Trying to clutch at any straw!

6. musalman

musalman پاکستان زنده باد

Fascinating indeed :) I saw it on you know what forum. :) Anyone has the right to say what ever they want that does not mean its something ppl think or talk about.
    There has never been any move in Pakistan to replace Urdu with Farsi Dari or Arabic. :blum3:
    People come up with ideas even my Grand Father wrote an article in Pakistan Times in early eighties to Romanize and simplfy Urdu by eliminating those words which are hard for other than Urdu speakers to pronounce based on Turkish model in 30s

7. Vinod2070

You are right. I am not claiming that all Pakistanis think so. It is just a part of the confusion about the Pakistani identity and what it means.

If you look at what he says, he is not wrong about Urdu for the most part. It is not the language of any Pakistanis except those who migrated from India.

He wants to replace it with another language from outside the Pakistani borders!

8. musalman

That is the reason I think that gentleman is stupid. However Arabic I know will be acceptable to all Pakistani but the problem is no one speaks or understand it. Same is in the case of Fasri / Dari only 1% are Dari speakers in Pakistan. So we have to live with Urdu coz now it is understood by all Pakistanis

9. Vinod2070

Why would an alien language be more acceptable rather than a language that is widely spoken within Pakistan?

Why does no other non-Arabic Muslim nation feel the need to use Arabic as their language, only Pakistanis?

10. musalman

Coz its the language of our Prophet(PBUH)

11. musalman

Further no other non-arabic Muslim country have more then one major language. All Irani speaks Farsi, all Indonesian and Malyasian speaks Bhasah Indo/Melu. Here we have Urdu Punjabi Pakhtoo Baluchi Kashmiri Brauhi Farsi Balti Shani etc

12. Vinod2070

What you are effectively saying is that you need to invent a common language/identity for yourself as you have none.

13. Vinod2070

So? How does that matter?

14. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

Most countries use their ancient history to create a national identity. Iran, inspite of being an Islamic republic, does nothing but encourage its citizens to appreciate its pre-Islamic history and the Persian Empire.

Indonesia too, inspite of being a muslim-majority nation, does nothing but glorify its pre-Islamic (Hindu/Buddhist) past. A visit to Jakarta will confirm this .

Pakistan has one of two options - use Islam as the unifying factor, which it has been doing all these years, or go further back in history to find it, which would unacceptably bring it closer to neighbouring India.

Unlike India, which has used all of its history (Colonial, Islamic, pre-Islamic) in order to find commonalities among its people, Pakistan's founding ethos limits it to the Islamic period, especially the Mughal period.

The irony of this, is that the Mughal empire was ruled from Delhi, and so ultra-nationalists in Pakistan have always dreamed of "re-conquering" Delhi to complete their identity.

India also faces this problem, but to a lesser degree than Pakistan, because the sources of its own identity are largely located within its boundaries, with certain exceptions. For example, Taxila, a major center of Hindu and Buddhist learning is located in Pakistan, and a number of major Indus Valley sites are also located there.
    Also, Lahore, which is one of the most ancient cities in the subcontinent, whose history dates from the Mahabharata, and also flourished during the Mughal period (when it was one of the greatest cities on earth) and played its own part in shaping Indian culture.
    However, the loss of Lahore is certainly compensated by Delhi and Lucknow.

15. Vinod2070

Yes indeed. Many of the challenges that Pakistan faces were also faced by India. Perhaps to a larger degree.

However, India has been much more successful in overcoming these challenges mainly because of the democratic ethos and wisdom of our leaders, something that Pakistan failed to get.

16. musalman

Yes coz we do not have a common language acceptable to all.

Islam is common to all Pakistanis plus since we are "jazbati" ppl so yes it matters

Yes I agree to that
    I do not agree with this. We are not very much fond of Mughals
    LOL I wonder where you Indians come up with this. No we do not want Dehli
    Lahore Lahore ai :D However I would really love to have Old ppl of Lahore coming back to it

17. musalman

True indeed

18. Flint

Well, you personally might not like them, but I am quite convinced that the vast majority of Pakistanis consider the mughal era as their "golden age".

I wouldn't know how many people in Pakistan want Delhi back, I have not conducted any poll, but I have had enough exposure to ultra-nationalist Pakistanis to know that those who are deeply nationalistic, often dream of that.

19. musalman

No ppl says Ayub Khan time was the golden era. Frankly ppl don't know about the mughal era.
    Regarding taking Dehli , tu janab not even Jamat Islami says they want it

20. Vinod2070

Some more gems. This guy is terrified that all Pakistanis will be able to communicate with all Indians. That in itself is a dreaded scenario for him. He dosn't even need to explain why this is a problem.

21. Flint

Jamaat is not ultra-nationalist, it is religious-fundamentalist. The distinction is subtle, especially so in Pakistan, but recognizable all the same.