Persecuted for-hindu prayer

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Raj30, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Raj30

Raj30 Senior Member Senior Member

Chennai schoolteacher ‘persecuted’ for Hindu prayer

Chennai schoolteacher ‘persecuted’ for Hindu prayer
    TUESDAY, 06 NOVEMBER 2012 23:16 KUMAR CHELLAPPAN | CHENNAI

In what is being seen as an assault on religious freedom, the management of an admittedly secular school in Chennai has suspended a teacher for reciting Hindu prayers during assembly.

Abirami, a chemistry teacher of the State Bank of India Officers’ Association Educational Trust School (SBIOA), recited the prayers in the school assembly on March 13, 2012 hoping to inspire the 330 students who were about to write the chemistry paper in the public examination.

“I recited the lines Om Mathru Devo Bhava, Om Pitru Devo Bhava, Om Acharya Devo Bhava, Om Vighneswaraya Namaha, Om Neela Saraswathiye Namaha which was repeated by the students. But before they could reach the stanza Om Vighneswaraya Namaha, school’s vice- principal Jayanti Sundar, a Christian who is also an evangelist, switched off the mike. I told her that prayers were not yet over and continued reciting the full prayer when she pushed me aside and asked another Christian teacher to lead the prayers. They put me under suspension on that day itself on charges of physically assaulting the vice-principal in front of the school students,” Abirami told The Pioneer.

She said that though the school was launched by the State Bank of India Officers Association, it has turned out to be a Christian management school. “Only Christian prayers are allowed in the school assembly though majority of the students are from the Hindu community. It was only on the day of the chemistry examination that I took part in the school assembly and recited the prayer. My intention was to recite prayers for the benefit of students belonging to all religions,” said Abirami.

Though she has been under suspension for the entire academic year 2012, the management is yet to complete the disciplinary proceedings which in itself are a violation of education department rules. “The internal disciplinary proceedings against her are under progress. Ours is a secular school and all the charges levelled against us are baseless. Abirami is trying to divert the attention of the general public by inciting religious sentiments,” PC Selvarani, the school principal, said. She alleged that Abirami was trying to spoil the minds of the students. But she refused to divulge the reasons behind the suspension and disciplinary proceedings against Abirami.

Students who took part in the March 13 school assembly said Abirami did not in any way violate the school discipline. “Abirami offered prayers for all religions equally. While she was offering the prayers, vice-principal Jayanthi Sunder tried to snatch the microphone from her hands. Consequently, Abirami resisted this act and did not force Jayanthi Sunder physically in any form. I could deduce no reason for her suspension,” said S Vidhyalakshmi, a student who was present in the assembly on the fateful day.

Some of the students backed Abirami’s claim that only Christian prayers are recited in the school assembly everyday. “Only Christian teachers are allowed to lead the assembly and recite the prayers. This has baffled us,” one of the students who did not want to be quoted said.

B Haran, a political commentator, described as outrageous the action of the school authorities. “This is a classic case of minorities serving their religion wherever they are. They infiltrate a secular institution, take control of management and convert it into a minority institution. This is what has happened exactly in this case. The SBOA is now controlled by the Church. That is Indian Secularism for you,” said Haran.

V Sundaram, all India general secretary (ideology), Janata Party, called the bluff on the school management. A former IAS officer withy more than three decades of administrative experience, Sundaram termed the action of the school management as a violation of the freedom of religion. “If we interpret true secularism, the court itself can take suo moto note of the news and initiate action against the school,”

he said.

Hindus and Muslims are hurt by the school management’s action, if comments on the social networking websites are any indication.

Though Abirami approached the chairman of the CBSE and the Chief Minister’s cell with her grievances, she is yet to get an acknowledgement.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    ani82v and maomao like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

If the school was secular and if it did not have any religious prayers during assembly, then this teacher is wrong to have recited a Hindu prayer.

However, if prayers of any religion is recited during the Assembly, then the school is not secular, but that of the religion of which the prayers are said.

And to use the tag of being secular thereafter would be a fraud.

It is extraordinary that an State Bank of India Officers’ Association Educational Trust School can profess to have any religion.

SBI is financed by the accounts of millions of Indians of all religious denomination.

SBI requires to be sued.

4. Raj30

Raj30 Senior Member Senior Member

She said that though the school was launched by the State Bank of India Officers Association, it has turned out to be a Christian management school. “Only Christian prayers are allowed in the school assembly though majority of the students are from the Hindu community. It was only on the day of the chemistry examination that I took part in the school assembly and recited the prayer. My intention was to recite prayers for the benefit of students belonging to all religions,” said Abirami.

Some of the students backed Abirami’s claim that only Christian prayers are recited in the school assembly everyday. “Only Christian teachers are allowed to lead the assembly and recite the prayers. This has baffled us,” one of the students who did not want to be quoted said

5. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

They had to recite christian prayer daily, her reciting hindu prayer was one time only, clearly secularism is one sided affair here.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I had amplified by post as you both simultaneously posted yours.

Indeed, it is a fraud being perpetuated to call the school secular and it is incorrect of the School to have prayers of one religion when it is being financed by people of all religious denominations.

Even if State Bank of India Officers Association claims it is a private and self funded organisation, I take it that SBI does not merely recruits Christians as its staff India and world wide.

Therefore, it is incorrect of the school becoming the preserve of one religion.

7. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

This is some :bs:. When will the Tamilians stop their love affair with Jeebus!

8. Joji

Joji Regular Member

I seriously scared of these two --religion and caste. Now, secular is also coming very hard these days.

9. uvbar

uvbar Regular Member

when hindus do its unsecular and when every body else is doing their just excercising religious freedom ironic

10. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Wow, the school authorities must be arrested, this is outrageous.

Raj30 likes this.
  11. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

Converts have more hatred for their previous religion...
    It proves that conversions by missionaries are done by insulting and demonizing hinduism...

Raj30, maomao and panduranghari like this.
  12. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

The school administration should be beaten to pulp by local bhaktas.

maomao likes this.
  13. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

This kind of attitude is what degrades the whole issue brings bad name to hinduism. They have to be take head-on instead of beating them. For starters, the people who fund this school can fire the management for making it a Christian school instead of a secular school.

Phenom likes this.
  14. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

the police should register a case against the school management for breaking the norms and having christian prayers in a school which is funded by an SBI affiliated association and is secular in nature.there is no room for religion in public institutions as we are a secular democracy:rolleyes:

15. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Neo converts are such tards. Lol.

Raj30 and maomao like this.
  16. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

Bad name to Hinduism? My friend, which world are you living in? Do not even remotely think of comparing a violent ideology like Hinduism to religions of 'peace' like Islam and Christianity. :lol:

17. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

After all the prayer started with by conveying their respect towards teachers... Now what is wrong... This happened b'cos they do not know the language....
    And this incident also shows the tolerance of HINDUS and MUSLIMS and the intolerant christians who force people to get converted...... The principal must be punished for this. If this was done by a christian teacher and a HINDU teacher had stopped her from doing the prayer, these so called christians would have created a big issue and would have brought in the R.S.S. and B.J.P. and would have told that this is how we are being treated. Now, i too had faced this problem in a christian school were I was told to take off the thilak on my forehead and I restrained from doing so and was thrown out of the school. What will you say for this......

Is that we HINDUS are so tolerant in nature that these people are doing so........ Time shall come when people will come to know what is the TRUTH......

18. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

LORD JESUS never told to convert people...... In fact he did not tell to start a religion by the name of christianity..... What he told was LOVE OTHERS AND THY SHALL LOVE YOU..... HELP OTHERS AND THY SHALL HELP YOU.......

19. marshal panda

marshal panda Regular Member

Wheather one likes it or not,the ethos of India is Hindu.

20. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Outrageous. The Vice-principal or whoever responsible should be punished.
    Religion, of any kind should not be allowed to pollute education of young minds.

21. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

Exactly,

If Hindu groups indulge in violence then that will just help in changing the whole picture and showing the minorities as victims. A more legal option would be the right way to go, sue them for religious discrimination.
    ----------------------------------

When I first read the title I thought its about something in Pakistan, but sadly its a lot closer than I thought :(