Pentagon makes India arms development proposal

Country flag
India can have 3 FGFA (PAKFA) for the price of 1 F-35. Moreover, it comes with joint production and TOT ,so later ,FGFA can be mass produced inside India. F-35 has engine problems and is very expensive for its kind.
This maybe a reason it was offered USA needs money for production and maintenance?

sgarg

Nobody has any strange notions about USA. I stayed in USA for a long time and have a lot of friends in USA.

It takes a lot of careful planning for a complex and big country like India. India cannot become a client State of USA.

I know very well that USA aviation is very much cutting edge. USA is definitely far ahead of Russia (and China) in aviation field.

However USA's strategic interests and India's strategic interests have not been in tune and there is no hope in future as well.

The security perspectives of both countries are different.

USA is a big supplier to Pakistan and this situation is unlikely to change in future. USA is also a big supplier to countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar that support Pakistan strongly.

This will cause a conflict of interest for USA if a war breaks out between India and Pakistan. It is very likely (I would say certain) that India will face fighters from Saudi or some other ME State in a war with Pakistan.

sgarg

This maybe a reason it was offered USA needs money for production and maintenance?
With defensive attitude of India, air defence has more significance than strike for India.

F-35 may be more successful compared to Su-30 (or Tejas) in strike role. However Su-30 is better for air defence.

Once Tejas is available in numbers, it will assume a lot of strike roles. Tejas is sufficient for Western border and sea areas of India.

For strike into China, we shall need far far more planning and resources. The China factor is better dealt with through diplomacy.

Some very expensive planes will hardly make a dent into China as Chinese will overwhelm us on the ground.

Sylex21

Nobody has any strange notions about USA. I stayed in USA for a long time and have a lot of friends in USA.

It takes a lot of careful planning for a complex and big country like India. India cannot become a client State of USA.

I know very well that USA aviation is very much cutting edge. USA is definitely far ahead of Russia (and China) in aviation field.

However USA's strategic interests and India's strategic interests have not been in tune and there is no hope in future as well.

The security perspectives of both countries are different.

USA is a big supplier to Pakistan and this situation is unlikely to change in future. USA is also a big supplier to countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar that support Pakistan strongly.

This will cause a conflict of interest for USA if a war breaks out between India and Pakistan. It is very likely (I would say certain) that India will face fighters from Saudi or some other ME State in a war with Pakistan.
-American jets are cutting edge but expensive. When factored for cost are they really any better than Russian jets? I'm not so sure on this. If you can buy a Russian jet for 1/3rd of the cost, the 3 Russian jets are going to blow the 1 American jet right out of the sky easily.
-On the contrary the USA and India have a massive overlap on strategic interests on most issues
-USA sells weapons to everyone, if you mean Aid to Pakistan it will end when they pull out of Afghanistan. They need Pakistan's cooperation so they can fly drones all around Pakistan killing terrorists and to get supplies into Afghanistan. The Americans actually dislike Pakistan, one of their least favored nations now.
-Saudi Arabia and USA allies but drifting lately, they need India a lot more than they need Saudi Arabia especially now that America is nearly self sufficient on oil and gas. Qatar is a tiny nation and of virtually no geopolitical significance.
-USA most likely to support India in a war with Pakistan, though will attempt to negotiate/force peace
-Saudi and Qatar might support Pakistan but they aren't in a position to do much and are unlikely to openly support Pakistan as much as they have in the past for fear of making an enemy out of India. In a war Pakistan is likely on its own, with possible support from China, which is unlikely to get directly involved.

Kharavela

Country flag
ROFL... :rofl: F-35 will give India air superiority over Pakistan and especially China !! What are you smoking ??

F-35 is nothing but junk. It neither can fly faster than JF-17 nor can out-manouver J-16 (forget J-20). Regarding its stealth characteristics, even obsolete radars of WWII era can catch F-35.
F-35 can not stand against Su-30, it has been proved in "Pacific Vision" war exercise.

Last edited:

Kharavela

Country flag
That's depend on the version. Trusted allies don't get the downgraded export version. With that said even if it downgraded it is better than what the Russian are offering IMO.

Do you know why India turn down the F-35? F-35 will give India air superiority over Pakistan and especially China. South Korea was offer the F-35 and they took it without blinking. We all know the F-35 will be primary use against China by the South Koreans.
ROFL... :rofl: F-35 will give India air superiority over Pakistan and especially China !! What are you smoking ??

F-35 is nothing but junk. It neither can fly faster than JF-17 nor can out-manouver J-16 (forget J-20). Regarding its stealth characteristics, even obsolete radars of WWII era can catch F-35.
F-35 can not stand against Su-30, it has been proved in "Pacific Vision" war exercise.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag

F-35 can not stand against Su-30, it has been proved in Yudh Abhyas 2012.
Sir,

Please prove your statements and claims, (see the red color part).

You may like to see.......http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-army/33035-yudh-abhyas-2012-a-5.html

debasree

Country flag
This time I want Indian pvt entities go for joint co op with us MNCs not the drdo

Kharavela

Country flag
Dear @Casper,
I could not able to post links, hence, please replace (colon), (slash) & (dots) with :, / & . respectively

* F-35 is nothing but junk
* F-35 can not stand against Su-30, it has been proved in Yudh Abhyas 2012
My mistake, Combat exercise "Pacific Vision", conducted at Hawaiian Airbase.
https(colon)(slash)(slash)www(dot)youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=27qdB1D0s9M

* nor can out-maneuver J-16 (forget J-20)
* even obsolete radars of WWII era can catch F-35
Watch Mr Pierre Sprey (Architect of F-16) explains capability of F-35, https(colon)(slash)(slash)www(dot)youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=mxDSiwqM2nw

Watch an Australian news program, dissecting F-35, https(colon)(slash)(slash)www(dot)youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=pteMgYPm1xM

Watch Air superiority of Su-30 at "Red Flag 2008", joint exercise by Indian and US Air Force, over the Nevada desert, USA, on August 21, 2008.
See this link: http(colon)(slash)(slash)in(dot)rbth(dot)com(slash)blogs(slash)2014(slash)03(slash)10(slash)dissecting_a_dogfight_sukhoi_vs_usaf_at_red_flag_2008_33623.html

Watch a full program on F-35 (Senator McCain described F-35 as SCANDAL & TRAGEDY in Congress)
https(colon)(slash)(slash)www(dot)youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=pteMgYPm1xM

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylex21

I don't see the problem here, it is a political issue in the USA. Because the USA has had high end technological weapons historically that ran the risk of proliferation and because their own internal politics make them a huge target if one nation passes technology or weapons the USA provided to an unintended party, they have to be careful.

India got a $2 Billion dollar ship used for the cost of $90M and upgrades/refits. Seems like India got a really great deal.

Dhairya Yadav

Sir, It doesnt matter to how much extent they inspected the ship. I have problem why do they need to? If US really want strong and good relations with India, a little trust would be good. Russia never treated us like this. Jalshawa , under contract is even restricted to be used in conflict without permission of pentagon. This is not how you gain our trust.
Even General Electric attempted to squeeze money out of India , saying we should pay a fee for every tejas crash occurring on pakistani soil during any war. Luckily , this was resolved.
Surveillance by NATO was done on India's newest Aircraft Carrier, INS Vikramaditya-
INS Vikramaditya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When the trials were ongoing, a Norwegian P-3 Orion aircraft observed Vikramaditya. While in international waters, it flew close to the ship to take photographs, and also dropped sonobuoys to record the ship's acoustic signature. The Norwegian aircraft left the area when a Russian Mig-29 arrived. A Norwegian ship was also seen to observe Vikramaditya.
If US is really interested in having an alliance/partnership with India, This is not the way to go . If Washington is really Pro- India , they must act like it .

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Sir, It doesnt matter to how much extent they inspected the ship. I have problem why do they need to? If US really want strong and good relations with India, a little trust would be good. Russia never treated us like this. Jalshawa , under contract is even restricted to be used in conflict without permission of pentagon. This is not how you gain our trust.
Even General Electric attempted to squeeze money out of India , saying we should pay a fee for every tejas crash occurring on pakistani soil during any war. Luckily , this was resolved.
Surveillance by NATO was done on India's newest Aircraft Carrier, INS Vikramaditya-
INS Vikramaditya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If US is really interested in having an alliance/partnership with India, This is not the way to go . If Washington is really Pro- India , they must act like it .
Your post addresses two issues. The first is an entrenched policy about arms aid. Changing it is going to require some hard negotiating by India.

The second was a training opportunity for NATO. I see it as routine and no threat to IN.

Just my opinion.

anupamsurey

Country flag
Your post addresses two issues. The first is an entrenched policy about arms aid. Changing it is going to require some hard negotiating by India.

The second was a training opportunity for NATO. I see it as routine and no threat to IN.

Just my opinion.

good to know the Nato and US train like that, was the snooping on various allies a training too..if it is then such training are costing US its allies.:cool2:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

good to know the Nato and US train like that, was the snooping on various allies a training too..if it is then such training are costing US its allies.:cool2:
There may be expressions of outrage, but no alliances are breaking up.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles