Paul Henry's rant on Shiela Dikshit

king98121

yup so you must have heard about paul henry by now and his remarks against our president well i dont care what happens to him

but i just went to see his fb page and saw a lot of racist comments against indians

i was under the impression that only aus hates us but i was wrong it seems nz hates us a lot which is bad because i liked nz a lot

what makes wonder tho that these 'Foreigners' dont seem to like our progress at all and always find a way to fuel their anger i am beginning to realise why china and usa is hated so much now

and btw i hate usa china is much nicer country to us regardless what you may think

pmaitra

Let us keep in mind that societies are composed of individuals and one should not judge an entire nation based on individual opinions. With India having a better PPP (Purchasing power parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) than even Germany, foreigners flocking to India for jobs in starting from Bollywood to the Tourism Industry and India stealing the show from foreign powers in the satellite launch market, Indians should brace themselves for more such envious outbursts from the remnants of the Great Realm of the Queen. Isn't the US abused by so many the world over? This in itself shows how India is grabbing peoples' attentions.

It is the one who is jealous that burns is his own flames!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ah no, right now more than hatred i think its more of PURE JEALOUSY. some in the west, particularly those of the colonial mindset just cant digest Indias rise.

I would be really happy to see Churchill rise from his grave and have a look as to how his country is wooing India day in day out. NZ and Oz are but their blood relations anyways and is expected of them.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ah no, right now more than hatred i think its more of PURE JEALOUSY. some in the west, particularly those of the colonial mindset just cant digest Indias rise.

I would be really happy to see Churchill rise from his grave and have a look as to how his country is wooing India day in day out. NZ and Oz are but their blood relations anyways and is expected of them.
Id pay to watch his reaction.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

It's a mix of that, with contempt. And that contempt is partly fueled by us. Take for example, Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire", it prettymuch depicted India as a shithole. Did we distance ourselves from it? No. Instead when that movie was sweeping the Oscars, we were fapping to it with a false sense of belonging. That movie was both racist, and was feeding the western world's undying fetish for poverty which they're used to, since colonial days. That buffalo-fart of a song "Jai Ho" has become a sort of an Anthem, when we clearly know it's far from Rehman's best compositions. When Nat Geo or another western documentary team comes to India for a story, there's an 8/10 chance of them covering India's poverty in a light of "there's persistent poverty and hopelessness here" than "there's poverty, but the government is doing something about it".

What do we do about these documentaries, movies, or pictures going outside, and contributing to foreign perception, like that of Paul Henry? Nothing. We should take some lessons from China.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tarun that is a bit of the old mindset, one in which the country probably had a little less self esteem as well as low self belief. We were hung to the past. Things are changing rapidly. You and me are not going to shit any more and our kids will probably be bragging for sure at the west.

Sri

Well individuals may be "good" or "evil". Why take the moral high ground? Can you guarantee that every Indian is free of jealousy and racism?

I'm not defending poor behavior of non-Indian individuals who happen to be white, brown, yellow or black. But put it in perspective and don't exaggerate it out of proportion.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh Sri no doubt about that. India is racist. In a country in which fairness creams sell like hot cake, there is not doubt we are racist.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Tarun that is a bit of the old mindset, one in which the country probably had a little less self esteem as well as low self belief. We were hung to the past. Things are changing rapidly. You and me are not going to shit any more and our kids will probably be bragging for sure at the west.
I never said we have a low self-esteem. It's that we are being wrongly (or unfairly) portrayed by the west, and we're doing nothing about it, and instead cry about the consequences (such as Paul Henry) of such malicious portrayal.

What "can" we do about it? For starters, we can kill the west's fetish for poverty by preventing such films as Slumdog Millionaire and by screening foreign documentary footage before it leaves the country. Such kind of censorship is bad for a "purist democracy", but India is a flawed democracy, and such censorship can be seen as a necessary evil, so it's kosher.

Last edited:

Sri

What "can" we do about it? For starters, we can kill the west's fetish for poverty by preventing such films as Slumdog Millionaire and by screening foreign documentary footage before it leaves the country. Such kind of censorship is bad for a "purist democracy", but India is a flawed democracy, and such censorship can be seen as a necessary evil, so it's kosher.
I understand your sentiments but I'm afraid I completely disagree. Trying to deal with symptoms than the illness doesn't help.

We should quit obsessing about how we are perceived in the West and pay more attention to real problems. And poverty in India is a real problem.

johnee

Tarun, very fine points. Unfortunately, west looks at the rest of the world from a certain prism. And as you rightly pointed out is fuelled by unfair portrayal by documentaries, movies and media. China also had to fight this negative rep for long. India will also be subjected to it. But as we rise, we should be more careful with how we are being portrayed. Sometimes, the portrayal can also have a certain agenda behind it.

johnee

I understand your sentiments but I'm afraid I completely disagree. Trying to deal with symptoms than the illness doesn't help.

We should quit obsessing about how we are perceived in the West and pay more attention to real problems. And poverty in India is a real problem.
Sri, eliminating poverty and censoring unfair portrayal are not mutually exclusive...

both can be attended to simulataneously. Otherwise, others will keep sermonising us that India should not go for space explorations when millions go hungry...etc etc.

dove

If there was repeated portrayal of British (say) as sexually perverted drug addicts in world media, would the solution be that they should take care of drug problems and teenage pregnancy first until which time its fair for the world to tar them all with the same brush ? Its one thing for any country to have social issues and another for exaggerated focus only on those.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Tarun, very fine points. Unfortunately, west looks at the rest of the world from a certain prism. And as you rightly pointed out is fuelled by unfair portrayal by documentaries, movies and media. China also had to fight this negative rep for long. India will also be subjected to it. But as we rise, we should be more careful with how we are being portrayed. Sometimes, the portrayal can also have a certain agenda behind it.
China handled this well. It screens all footage that leaves the country. There's poverty in China too, though the country doesn't allow portrayal of its negatives to overshadow its positives or achievements. What India is doing on the other hand, is letting west get away with bucket loads of bad PR for our country in the name of "freedom of expression", and then later objecting to Paul Henry's freedom of expression, which he built over years of accumulating bad PR about India by foreign press operating in India. It's not that Paul Henry built his opinion based on personal inspection, which is why his is "foreign perception", rather than a blatant slur. All he is exposed to about India probably is the abject poverty, whatever was portrayed about India in Slumdog Millionaire, or some other western documentary.

Remember, someone who's born and brought up in a developed country will inevitably see a poor person from India or China from the same prism as seeing a "zoo animal" (the same feeling of awe and intrigue). The onus is on us to prevent that.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Nah, Paul Henry is a symptom, the illness is bad PR. In other words, Paul Henry is a consequence, the problem is lackluster censorship over foreign media, which is leading to bad foreign perception about India, which in turn is leading to consequences, such as Paul Henry.

The west isn't calling spade a spade, but is deliberately blind to the positives of India and its growth.

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
NRI s would tell you that Indian names and sur names are routinely shortened and modified by people in US and other countries.
Now madam Dixit 's name came in handy for Mr Henry , for showing his bigotry, simply because of all the previous negative coverage of CWG preparation.Who gave them this oppurtunity ,we ourselves.

As a matter of fact foreigners who visit India have more negatives than positive things to say about us.

The poverty , the teeming millions in our megacities, haphazarded traffic , lack of cleanliness, beggars and street kids and above all crooks who make a living by swindling foreigners makes India still a choice for the low end tourists, the back packers who want a CHEAP HOLIDAY and can put up with our negatives

And nobody is jealous of India .We would be better off with a more realistic appraisal about ourselves.

king98121

i was just talking about china based on its racism behavior it definately isn't as bad as the europe for sure

and also our media is just hungry for anything foreign too they barely report any educational merits our school children achieve they are only interested in problems problems and problems and blaming the government and bollywood actors

what it forgets is in democracy we are the government (atleast a part of it for sure) and now take a good look and chinese media and cry about it seriously

dove

Its true that Chinese are by and large friendly people easy to get along with. The evil in the soul of China is pretty much concentrated within the PLA. Without the PLA influence, CCP is more of a tough businessman instead of the deranged power hungry ogre that China often appears to be.

A democratic China (a fantasy I know!) will actually be a great neighbour to have - IMO.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles