Patriotism and NRIs

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Chan Lankela, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Chan Lankela

Chan Lankela Regular Member

Good Afternoon

• I was just reading through a forum on a different site and came upon a patriculary disturbing view.
    • Majority of NRIs are not patriotic and hate the motherland.
    • They are traitors who abandoned the motherland
    • They constantly cricticize the motherland
    • Some put up a facade of a nationalistic spirit without trying to do anything about the problems faced by the motherland
    • Et-cetera.

I myself am a NRI, I know MANY NRIs, absolutely NO one I've met has conformed to these views. Please tell me your opinions on NRIs and their contribution to India as well as their "lack of"/"of" patriotism for India.

Thank you.

3. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Dont tel us about ur self we know about you.

Mods pls check his IP address

maomao likes this.
  4. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

I have one anecdote. I worked with an NRI for a few months here in the US. When I would ask him questions about India, he would cheerfully respond with positive answers and useful information. He spoke not one harsh word about India.

AFAIK you can ignore what you saw on the subject elsewhere on the internet. In fact, you can ignore most of what you read on the internet. (With the exception of DFI, of course.)

5. Chan Lankela

I don't understand? What do you know about me? I've already told you I'm a NRI, I just wanted to know why there was such a misconception about our loyalty and sincerity.
    Thank you for the constructive reply :)

6. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

[​IMG]

Are you in character now?:shocked:

pmaitra, Tolaha and parijataka like this.
  7. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

NRI is a much abused much misunderstood word. They are not ahomogenous community, never were, never will be. Indian citizens move to foreign shores for a plethora of reasons, they come from varied backgrounds, have diverse ambitions and political views. To think they think alike would be a ignorant assumption.

On the average NRIs are no more or no less patriotic than Indians residing in India.

Of course there are a few condescending pricks who think they are better than the rest just because of where they live/work or were educated, but they are found everywhere.

I think it is the resident non-Indians that we should be wary about more than the others.

8. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

What does it matter what others thing. If you are confident about your own feelings then how it does matter what is discussed on other forums.

W.G.Ewald and parijataka like this.
  9. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Did u introduced ur self in intro members section.if not then do it.

pmaitra likes this.
  10. Chan Lankela

Thank you :)

I know, but it is still hurtful when someone claims that just because you don't live in India that you don't love the mother land :(

Um.....you were one of the people who commented in my introuction thread. http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/introductions-greetings/33059-hey.html

Would you like me to add you on facebook as well?

11. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

There has already been a discussion on this topic.

12. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Thats for you Mr Ace009

GK, Im sure those people there earned their stripes. But you make a very relevant point about the thieves that run away after receiving a high class degree in our premier institutions.

13. trackwhack

GK, Defence labs can only hire from the talent pool that they have. If well schooled kids chase American dreams what the hell can we do? Defence job pay scales are not competitive, but we already spend 3% of GDP on defence. Amongst the highest in the world. Unless we get richer and our spending power increases, we cannot have a pay scale that keeps the best minds here.

Yusuf, why sjould GK be shown a mirror. Not everyone has a scientific aptitude, not you or me or GK. Those that do - those who get into our premier institutions dont have a nationalistic attitude. Most are just greedy jingoes.

panduranghari and Mad Indian like this.
  14. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I am shifting this thread to society and culture.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  15. ace009

ace009 Freakin' Fighter fan Elite Member

I have been following this debate and find it funny - on both sides.

@GK
    The PC on Tarmac is not a big problem, although it might be part of a big problem. There are specific softwares that are installed on specific pieces of hardware,and cannot be replaced easily (licensing issues etc). due to historic reasons or due to lack of foresight such might be the case for this picture. Even if it was not the case, a desktop in India is cheaper for the amount of processing power it gives, compared to the average desktop (not so much in the USA), so it might make more sense to go for a desktop than a laptop. The CRT monitor although is archaic and should be upgraded to LCD - but then again the sunlight on the tarmac might make a CRT monitor better to work on than an LCD monitor - I am not sure if that might be true - don;t remember how a CRT monitor looks in a bright sunlit space.

@Kunal and MadIndian
    I do agree with you guys that looks should never judge a persons caliber. I remember at IISC, some of our best professors were unkempt and cluttered while some of the worst were all shiny and organized. But IF it is indeed a cultural problem, then GK might be right in assigning blame to HAL mindset.
    In my PhD days, I had found that pretty often government funds went BACK or last minute frantic purchases were made (frequently of questionable stuff), because the conservative mindset and bureaucracy did not allow the students/ staff to actually order better/ upgraded quality stuff before, when the funds were lying around. I remember having to struggle through poor / old computers attached to key pieces of instruments that were never upgraded even when we had money, but newer components were bought for the same instruments that were rarely if EVER used. All because of wrong set of priorities/ cunning salesmen ship from the company sales executives and stupidity of the professors/ administrators who were involved in decision making.
    Having never worked at HAL, I cannot make a judgement call (and for once I agree with P2Prada on this).

@Trackwhack
    Not all bright students leave for foreign shores as soon as they graduate. A lot of them stay on and on till they are bored/ underutlized and forced into leaving for a private companies non-scientific job (as one of my cousins did). Some are mishandled and bullied into leaving because they had to deal with assholes for 5 LONG years during their PhD and the very prospects of having to work with similar assholes make them have nightmares (yours truly).
    The pay parity is indeed important, but not as important as the corrupt, incompetent culture and vision permeated by those in power in Indian govt organizations.

16. trackwhack

I wont take your bull at face value as you did nothing to help effect a change. You chose the easy way out so please dont generalize for everyone who graduates out of a top school.

As far as I am concerned you stole from my dad to fund your education. You then picked up your wares and decided to be productive for someone else from another nation who made no investment in you. You did that for your own selfish motives. And since you generalized about bright students who leave the country, this is my generalization about that same group.

The west did not get where they are because what they have was handed out on a platter. Generations of bright minds toiled selflessly to get there. So go sell your self-righteousness somewhere else. My respect for anyone who openly states that he/she came to the west simply for the better quality of life and more money and luxury it gives. For the pretentious bums who give other reasons like no opportunity to bloom in India can go do themselves.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Godless-Kafir likes this.
  17. trackwhack

Mods, if my post is going to be edited or removed then the post made by Ace with BS justifications also needs to be removed. Such bull is an insult to the hardworking scientists who chose to stay in India and do whatever they can for the nations upliftment.

18. ace009

Looking at the BS being spouted by you against people like me AND your employer's employers (the US companies), I can only imagine that your dad had NOTHING to contribute to MY education and training. I doubt he could have, because he clearly could not train and educate YOU sufficiently to make you openminded and appreciative of other's success. So, don;t bring your Dad in here, as it will only make me insult him for YOUR stupidity.

As for your allegations of my "doing" nothing - before you judge me from your limited if non-existent information pool, pray tell me WHAT YOU have done to fix ANY problems in India. I will then tell you what I have done, how I have fared, what changes I could and could not bring and WHY I ended up in the USA - but on PM - not on an open forum, since all that will clearly be OT. I hope in spite of all your ravings and rants, you are rational enough for that.

As for my helping out "foreign companies" - I am currently "helping" out by leading a couple of Indian biomedical companies to get business from US companies and start a new division in the USA - so in my few months with them, I have probably generated more than enough "revenue" for Indian companies than you have done in your life time for your employers. By the way, that has NOT made me hate my US clients in any way.
    Ciao ...

:D

As for the "west did not get there" ...BS you spouted - the west got wherever they are by valuing peoples abilities and contributions - across religion, race, caste AND nationalities - not to mention locations - exceptions like blacks in USA NOTWITHSTANDING.

19. ace009

Hardworing scientists?? Ha ha ha ha ha - don;t make me laugh dude. You have not even worked at Indian science organizations, which I have done for 10 years or so - so, I know who is hardworking and who is not. Just STFU before you make any more stupid comments.

20. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

The problem is as long as the job cannot command a good enough salary, it wont attract the right candidate. Hopefully things will improve. The raison d'etre Indian grads Go West is not just the salary but also the difficulty with the day to day living. WHat everyone wants is roti, kapda, makan and
    ease of getting basic things done. How many times have you been asked kharcha-paani to get basic things done drives most people mad. The thing is this kharcha-paani concept does not exist in the west at the small scale level. The politicians do the kharcha-paani stuff but the man who sets up your telephone or electric connection etc does not. Thats why people leave India.

21. trackwhack

Like I said earlier, you are one modest ass. I remember my first conversation with where you sitting in some village in New England asks me if I have ever left the country. When I responded with, yeah I work in Downtown Manhattan, that sure did make you wet your pants and I can see you havent dried them since.

Stop running away from the topic at discussion. We are talking about losers like you who run to the US after quality education provided for through subsidies funded by hard working Indians. You can sugar coat it however much you want, you can call yourself successful, but at the end of the day you cannot deny the fact that your greed drove you out of the country.

And I keep repeating to you over and over again, I work in an Indian firm, listed on the Indian exchange with the Indian public holding 70% stake. I make direct money for my country, very different from the stooge that you are.