PAS 2011: India nears attack helicopter decision (AH-64D or the Mi-28NE)

Adux

Country flag
It seems Apache can go up till 6100 Feet, while LCH goes up to 6500. What is the payload both will able to carry to that height? What will be the usual engagement in terms of height in our mountains. Apache has more than double payload capacity of LCH, it go upto less than 400 ft short of LCH, that is some true punch.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It seems Apache can go up till 6100 Feet, while LCH goes up to 6500. What is the payload both will able to carry to that height? What will be the usual engagement in terms of height in our mountains. Apache has more than double payload capacity of LCH, it go upto less than 400 ft short of LCH, that is some true punch.
Its dangerous for Apache to go at that altitude for operational duties, Apache is heavy coz of its Armour, It can carry its gun with limited ammo and may be some ATGM or Rocket pod, Where LCH is deigned for that high altitude purpose, It meant to carry its gun and full load of rocket pods, If u notice LCH is not using Russian rocket pods but lighter Euro pods made of carbon fiber and composites, HAL degined LCH keeping in mind that in operation LCH have to do every thing.. ..

Adux

Country flag
Its dangerous for Apache to go at that altitude for operational duties, Apache is heavy coz of its Armour, It can carry its gun with limited ammo and may be some ATGM or Rocket pod, Where LCH is deigned for that high altitude purpose, It meant to carry its gun and full load of rocket pods, If u notice LCH is not using Russian rocket pods but lighter Euro pods made of carbon fiber and composites, HAL degined LCH keeping in mind that in operation LCH have to do every thing.. ..
Do you have some stats on it. Thats what I want. Much I like this.

What will be with payload carried by LCH at 6500 feet and Apache at 6400 feet.

Adux

Country flag
Gents,

A mistake on my part, the ceiling difference between Apache and LCH is just 100 ft and not 400 ft like I mentioned before. So it is negligible, Question is what can they both carry at that altitude ?

mayfair

Re: IAF's heavy-lift helicopter tender opened

I don't know by how much. For eg: The difference between Mi-28 and AH-64 was only 20 points, but IAF chose AH-64 nevertheless even with an assumed cost advantage in favour of the Russians.

Both helicopters have their advantages, but the electronics advantage may push it to Chinook in favour.

May the best helicopter win.
What are these points? Is this a quantitative measure? Can you elaborate?

p2prada

What are these points? Is this a quantitative measure? Can you elaborate?
Points are technical points based on which aircraft are compared. Speed attained above XXX speed is this many points. Engine change speed is this many points. Time to take off is this many points etc. MRCA was also judged on these factors. There were 643 parameters tested for MRCA. The number for the heli competition is not known but it would be as big.

The points difference was a little above 20 between Mi-28 and AH-64, in favour of AH-64. All we know is the accuracy of the AH-64 was greater and played an important role in the selection of the aircraft.

Russia loses $600 mln Indian attack helicopter tender | World | RIA Novosti

This must have been below IAF's standards to continue in the competition and hence AH-64 was selected as the only bidder.

mayfair

Points are technical points based on which aircraft are compared. Speed attained above XXX speed is this many points. Engine change speed is this many points. Time to take off is this many points etc. MRCA was also judged on these factors. There were 643 parameters tested for MRCA. The number for the heli competition is not known but it would be as big.

The points difference was a little above 20 between Mi-28 and AH-64, in favour of AH-64. All we know is the accuracy of the AH-64 was greater and played an important role in the selection of the aircraft.

Russia loses $600 mln Indian attack helicopter tender | World | RIA Novosti

This must have been below IAF's standards to continue in the competition and hence AH-64 was selected as the only bidder.
Probably, but I find it strange that we went through all this trouble just to buy 22 helicopters, eventually settling on AH-64D Block III.

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag

Probably, but I find it strange that we went through all this trouble just to buy 22 helicopters, eventually settling on AH-64D Block III.
we can always increase the numbers like we did in many other purchases

p2prada

22 gunships are still a big number. 22 more are optional.

This may be IAF's last gunship orders apart from LCH orders.

Since IA has approval, they may place a new tender for a more gunships apart from orders for LCH.

Zebra

Country flag

22 gunships are still a big number. 22 more are optional.

This may be IAF's last gunship orders apart from LCH orders.

Since IA has approval, they may place a new tender for a more gunships apart from orders for LCH.
P2P, that will be different helos or the same one, I mean more numbers of the LCH.

p2prada

Re: Mil Mi-26T2 Halo vs Boeing CH47F Chinook

Who knows, let them order first.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles