Paris - hotel owner says Chinese tourists not welcome

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Where is Armand ? :laugh:

---
A French fashion designer has apologised for saying that Chinese holidaymakers will not be welcome at a luxury hotel he plans to open in Paris.

Thierry Gillier, founder of label Zadig and Voltaire, told the magazine Women's Wear Daily that his hotel "won't be open to Chinese tourists".

The statement caused outrage in China where his comments went viral on social networking sites.

Mr Gillier has said his comments were taken out of context.

BBC News - Designer Gillier 'sorry' for China tourist remark

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It isn't such an outrageous statement in France. Chinese tourist is synonymous with bus tourist.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
It isn't such an outrageous statement in France. Chinese tourist is synonymous with bus tourist.
But now the Chicoms won't take to France kindly. Remember the whole Norway-China tensions? :p

Just kidding.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually, this is what is an important reason which Happy Snail has stated:

Happy Snail said Chinese tourists needed to change "bad habits", adding: "Chinese commonly ignore warnings and try to take photos in art galleries, and talk loudly in restaurants."

There are certain habits that are perfectly fine in China but is not acceptable elsewhere.

The Europeans are persnickety people who feel that their ways is the real way.

There was this Chinese poster who was so keen to show that the Chinese have become 'western' because they wear jeans and eat KFC's and Macdonald's!

It is hardly great culture if you ask me.

Jeans were worn by gold panners in California made out of torn tent canvas. And KFC is the right way to die young!

I would advise the Chinese poster that if he has any self respect after this (and this is just one incident), they should eat exotic food that is in their cuisine and walk barechested as is the custom and damn the foreigners!

Americans don't care about table manners or speaking softly in restaurants. They are brazen and they tell others - like me and like my dog, OK?

But I say, be what you are and do what you feel comfortable to do!

If someone doesn't want you, then tell him that you don't want him.

It is said that when Lord Byron was banished from England for being incest, he said - If I am not good for England, then England is not good enough for me!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
^^
Sir, you should write travel guidebooks :)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
From the linked article:

"Lots of janitors at China's big hotels look down upon fellow citizens," wrote Real Babe. "How can we blame the French for doing so too?"
That is interesting, and, if true, typical of human nature.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
^^
Sir, you should write travel guidebooks :)
You are being unfair.

Someone asks me to write political stuff.

You want me to write travel stuff.

I am honoured by both of you.

But then I am what I am.

Totally unequipped to do either.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
From the linked article:

That is interesting, and, if true, typical of human nature.
That would be interesting only if it is true.

There is no doubt certain individual hotel does that. But they don't look down on own citizens, they look down on poors!

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
You are being unfair.

Someone asks me to write political stuff.

You want me to write travel stuff.

I am honoured by both of you.

But then I am what I am.

Totally unequipped to do either.

Let us collaborate on the political book and W.G Ewald can work on travel book with you.

Barak2

That's quite helpful because usually if we see the things should be in the equality and also understanding it basically helps the person more because it has all those elements in it.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That's quite helpful because usually if we see the things should be in the equality and also understanding it basically helps the person more because it has all those elements in it.
Speaking of understanding... what did you say?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles