Papaya leaves can cure dengue

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Papaya leaves can cure dengue

KUALA LUMPUR: Papaya leaves and pegaga (centella asiatica) juice are a possible cure for dengue fever, a recent study revealed.

It has been reported that many people consume papaya leaves or pegaga juice to increase their platelet count after they contract dengue fever.

A recent study, conducted by a group of researchers from local and foreign universities, indicated that the powder from papaya leaves has substances responsible for the release and/or production of thrombocytes (platelets).

The study was initiated and led by Dr S. Kathiresan of AIMST University.

Dr Kathiresan said the leaves of papaya fruit were high in complex vitamins that might help bone marrow to rapidly increase blood platelet production.

"Dengue fever continues to be a major health threat to Malaysia after its first reported outbreak in 1902.

"The dengue virus' main effect is on platelet production. Nor-mally, a platelet in our body lasts for about five to 10 days and the body replenishes them when required," he told Bernama.

"This virus destroys the body's capacity to produce new platelets (during the period the virus is effective). The platelet count for a normal person varies from 150,000 to 250,000 per micro litre of blood. On becoming infected, a patient's platelet count starts falling.

"A platelet count below 100,000 per microlitre is alarming – immediate medical attention is required. A platelet count below 50,000 can be fatal," he added.

A fall in the platelet count prevents formation of clots and this leads to haemorrhaging, which results in both internal and external bleeding.

Once such bleeding starts, the situation is almost irreversible, he said.

Dr Kathiresan noted that interest in the papaya began with a simple experiment with papaya leaves which were ground and administered to mice.

The platelet counts before, and 72 hours after dosing, revealed they were significantly higher.

The six-month study, titled Thrombocyte counts in mice after the administration of papaya leaf suspension, published in October 2009, was funded by AIMST University and Universiti Sains Malaysia.

Dr Kathiresan was assisted in the study by Dr Surash Rama-nathan, Dr Sharif M. Mansor and Dr Mas Rosemal M.H. Haris of Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, and Walther H. Wernsdorfer of Medical University of Vienna, Austria. — Bernama

Doc: Papaya leaves can cure dengue - Nation | The Star Online

Dengue is spreading in Calcutta.

I saw people buying papaya leaves as a cure.

I checked the internet and I saw that indeed it is a cure.

So, I thought I should share it will you all.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Dengue Fever Remedy

I would like to share this interesting discovery from a classmate's son who has just recovered from dengue fever. Apparently, his son was in the critical stage at the ICU when his blood platelet count drops to 15 after 15 liters of blood transfusion.

His father was so worried that he seeks another friend's recommendation and his son was saved. He confessed to me that he gave his son raw juice of the papaya leaves. From a platelet count of 45 after 20 liters of blood transfusion, and after drinking the raw papaya leaf juice, his platelet count jumps instantly to 135. Even the doctors and nurses were surprised. After the second day he was discharged. So he asked me to pass this good news around.

Accordingly it is raw papaya leaves, 2pcs just cleaned and pound and squeeze with filter cloth. You will only get one tablespoon per leaf. So two tablespoon per serving once a day. Do not boil or cook or rinse with hot water, it will loose its strength. Only the leafy part and no stem or sap. It is very bitter and you have to swallow it like "Won Low Kat". But it works.

*Papaya (Leaf) Juice - Cure for Dengue*

You may have heard this elsewhere but if not I am glad to inform you that papaya juice is a natural cure for dengue fever. As dengue fever is rampant now, I think it's good to share this with all.

A friend of mine had dengue last year. It was a very serious situation for her as her platelet count had dropped to 28,000 after 3 days in hospital and water has started to fill up her lung. She had difficulty in breathing. She was only 32-year old. Doctor says there's no cure for dengue. We just have to wait for her body immune system to build up resistance against dengue and fight its own battle. She already had 2 blood transfusion and all of us were praying very hard as her platelet continued to drop since the first day she was admitted.

Fortunately her mother-in-law heard that papaya juice would help to reduce the fever and got some papaya leaves, pounded them and squeeze the juice out for her. The next day, her platelet count started to increase, her fever subside. We continued to feed her with papaya juice and she recovered after 3 days!!!

Amazing but it's true. It's believed one's body would be overheated when one is down with dengue and that also caused the patient to have fever papaya juice has cooling effect. Thus, it helps to reduce the level of heat in one's body, thus the fever will go away. I found that it's also good when one is having sore throat or suffering from heat.

Please spread the news about this as lately there are many dengue cases. It's great if such natural cure could help to ease the sufferings of dengue patients.

Furthermore it's so easily available.
Blend them and squeeze the juice! It's simple and miraculously effective!

--
Friend,

Dev from Kolkata

Hyd-Masti.com: Cure for Dengue - Papaya Leaf Juice

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir,

This is but anecdotal evidence.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The first post speaks of a medical research finding.

A recent study, conducted by a group of researchers from local and foreign universities, indicated that the powder from papaya leaves has substances responsible for the release and/or production of thrombocytes (platelets).

The study was initiated and led by Dr S. Kathiresan of AIMST University.

The six-month study, titled Thrombocyte counts in mice after the administration of papaya leaf suspension, published in October 2009, was funded by AIMST University and Universiti Sains Malaysia.

Dr Kathiresan was assisted in the study by Dr Surash Rama-nathan, Dr Sharif M. Mansor and Dr Mas Rosemal M.H. Haris of Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, and Walther H. Wernsdorfer of Medical University of Vienna, Austria. — Bernama

Country flag
A real medical study needs to be done there are many this in India which have medicinal
properties but no studies are done another example was Neem having antiseptic properties
which is not questioned anymore but once refused in the west because of a lack of clinical
studies.

sob

Mod
Country flag
I can attest to it. Recently one of our employees son had dengu and the platelet count had gone very low . 3 days of juice from papaya leaves worked wonders for him. Even the nurses informed us that the patients who were taking this juice were recovering faster.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Its also there in Hyderabad and one of my relative got Dengue. Thanks for sharing, will pass on the information.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I can attest to it. Recently one of our employees son had dengu and the platelet count had gone very low . 3 days of juice from papaya leaves worked wonders for him. Even the nurses informed us that the patients who were taking this juice were recovering faster.
Must be something in the juice (a chemical) that interferes with Virus perhaps.

Oracle

Papaya, the fruit in itself has a very good effect on the stomach. For e.g., when I cook mutton, I drop in some pieces of papayas along with potato. Mutton is red meat, and as such is hard to digest, papaya takes care of that. And in mutton, the papaya tastes good too.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine

ABSTRACT
Article history:
Received 28 February 2011
Received in revised form 20 March 2011
Accepted 6 April 2011
Available online 30 April 2011
Keywords:
Dengue fever
Carica papaya
Leaves extracts
Platelets
Potential activity

The main objective of the current study is to investigate the potential of Carica papaya leaves extracts against Dengue fever in 45 year old patient bitten by carrier mosquitoes. For the treatment of Dengue fever the extract was prepared in water. 25 mL of aqueous extract of C. papaya leaves was administered to patient infected with Dengue fever twice daily i.e. morning and evening for five consecutive days. Before the extract administration the blood samples from patient were analyzed. Platelets count (PLT), White Blood Cells (WBC) and Neutrophils (NEUT) decreased from 176暳10 3 /毺L, 8.10暳10 3 /毺L, 84.0% to 55暳10 3 /毺L, 3.7暳10 3 /毺L and 46.0%.

Subsequently, the blood samples were rechecked after the administration of leaves extract. It was observed that the PLT count increased from 55æš³10 3
/毺L to 168暳10 3 /毺L, WBC from 3.7暳10 3 /毺L to 7.7暳10 3 /毺L and NEUT from 46.0% to 78.3%. From the patient feelings and blood reports it showed that Carica papaya leaves aqueous extract exhibited potential activity against Dengue fever.

Furthermore, the different parts of the this valuable specie can be further used as a strong natural candidate against viral diseases.

http://apjtb.com/zz/aug/18.pdf

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag

Same here , I was afflicted by mild dengue or so it seemed

Platelet count dipped alarmingly , but Papaya leave juice administered at the onset of appearance of symptoms arrested that right away .

So yeah it works in my experience.

Oracle

Actually, what I think is we should have a sticky thread on traditional medicines used by our grandmothers and mothers. This will benefit all of us. Learning across cultures.

Oracle

Same here , I was afflicted by mild dengue or so it seemed

Platelet count dipped alarmingly , but Papaya leave juice administered at the onset of appearance of symptoms arrested that right away .

So yeah it works in my experience.
From what I heard, Dengue is very dangerous. I'm glad you're okay. I am terrified of Dengue.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Actually, what I think is we should have a sticky thread on traditional medicines used by our grandmothers and mothers. This will benefit all of us. Learning across cultures.
Please start one in the Religion and Culture section.

I'll merge all related threads.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Papaya leaf extract – wonder drug for dengue patients?

nfected by it islandwide and the death toll mounting unabated, creating a national crisis - a cure for this dreaded disease however is still in wanting.

Dr. Sanath Hettige, an MBBS doctor - a consultant family physician-has affirmed that papaya leaf extract has definite beneficial effects on dengue patients. It prevents dengue patients from going in to dengue haemorrhagic state, he says.

The first ever scientific bio-medical study conducted to discover the salutary effects of Carcia papaya leaf extracts in patients suffering from dengue fever by Dr. Hettige was reported in the Sri Lanka Family Physician magazine in his article on the said subject in 2008.

The report further states, "The pilot study has shown the effects of papaya leaf juice in dengue patients of elevating the total white cell counts, platelet counts and recovery without hospital admission."

This was followed up in the IMPA newsletter of June 2009 volume 14, issue 6, in which he has written on his preliminary observations of his study to his colleagues for their consideration with the view to establishing a scientifically sound study. In the same article he has also said that "a delay in formal research and publication may result in many deaths if we were to wait for results of a study without making information available to patients during the present epidemic."

Dr. Hettige's latest research on randomised controlled clinical trial that is on going with more than 70 dengue patients including children has found that all patients who consumed papaya leaf extracts recovered fully with no hospital admission. The results had been highly significant when compared to the control group who did not consume papaya leaf extract. Meanwhile Dr. Hettige has submitted an application for patent rights for its use and has received a patent number, but is awaiting approval.

The Sunday Observer met Dr. Hettige to find out more details of his decision to reveal his findings related to this wonder juice to the public, the details on how he initially started his research and how this papaya leaf extract could be administered to a patient.

"I have found this method of treatment for dengue patients to be very effective. Although the study is not fully completed, I decided to release this information at a time dengue has reached a national crisis situation and the public would benefit from this information".

Q: What prompted you to initially do research on this disease?

A; It was in fact my wife, a Senior Medical Officer at the Intensive Care Unit, Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital, who would see the helpless dengue patients among many others, coming in to her unit and she would call me to inform of their suffering, and how most often than not the patients succumbed to this infection. She would constantly ask if there is nothing we could do. This prompted me to do something about it.

Q: How did you first start off your research?

A: Initially, I had a number of patients - relatives of those who work for me, friends and relatives infected by dengue who gave their consent to carry out the research on them. The pilot study consisted of 24 patients in total. Twelve who were given the juice and 12 as controls (who were not given the juice). We found that the 12 who consumed the papaya extract had good results. It was significant to observe that the platelet count increased in all 12 patients with two doses of papaya leaf juice and they all recovered with no hospital admissions, as per the details given in the pilot study that was published.

Preparation
Q; How is the papaya fruit leaf juice prepared for consumption for the purpose of treatment of dengue?

A: Leaves from a fruit-bearing tree can be taken (the Red Lady Papaya variety which is more effective), it has to be washed with clean water and then crushed in a wooden pestle without water or salt. The crushed leaves are then to be squeezed by hand to extract the juice which can be consumed fresh once again, without water, salt or sugar.

Q; What is the quantity of the leaf extract that has to be taken for an adult and child respectively?

A: A quantity of 10 ml is prescribed for adults twice a day and 5ml twice a day for children aged between five and 12 years.

Q: Could you give the scientific explanation as to how papaya leaf extract is effective in curing dengue?

A: It does three main services - the leaf extract increases the white blood cells and blood platelets and normalises the clotting profile which are the main aspects affected when infected with dengue. The most important factor is that it improves liver function too. The juice helps repair the damage caused to liver cells by dengue fever.

Q: At what stage should a patient consume papaya leaf extract?

A: It is best to consume it in the early stages of dengue haemorrhagic fever when the platelet count (PLT) drops below 150000 cu mm or when the packed cell volume is increased by 10 percent even though the World Health Organization (WHO) criteria to diagnose DHF is PLT of 100000 cu mm or Packed cell volume increase by 20 percent.

Papaya leaf juice has definite beneficial effects even when given to patients with very low platelet counts, altered clotting profiles and bleeding tendencies. But in the final stages of dengue, where multi-organ failure has set in, the beneficial effects are minimal. This is why the patients are advised to take papaya leaf juice early. When it is given early to patients, they recover fast, thus preventing the need for hospital admission. Most importantly, patients who have been identified as dengue-infected should first seek medical attention and take the juice along with the prescribed medication.

Features | Sundayobserver.lk - Sri Lanka

Oracle

One more point - Mosquitoes spreading Dengue bite during the day, so be careful during the day.

Thanks for the concern :)

It was Last year though :D
No problem. What matters is you are okay.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Dengue panic sweeps but Kolkata Municipal Corporation sleeps

KOLKATA: With there is no steady sign of rains so far and dengue looking set to wreak havoc, the civic body is yet to pull up its socks. A day after some private hospitals in the city and its fringes painted a grim picture, the Kolkata Municipal Corporation health department has termed the reports baffling.

However, the KMC health department records speak otherwise. Though the civic authorities had ruled out the gravity of the problem after a 40-year-old woman, a resident of Garfa on the south-eastern fringes, died of dengue three weeks back, figures available with the KMC health department now show that there is little room for complacency for the civic health officials.

The KMC health department has received over 50 cases of dengue since January till the first week of August, compared to 27 recorded during the same period last year.

According to a senior KMC health department official, if the figures from the private health care institutes are to be taken into account, the cases of dengue would cross 100.

However, some civic authorities feel that there are flaws in the figures, being sent by the private hospitals and diagnostic centres to the KMC health department. "They are confirming dengue cases on the basis of NS-1 antigen test, which has no approval of the World Health Organisation (WHO) or the guidelines issued by the Union health department. We have papers to show that a particular hospital has corrected its own report on dengue after a second blood test done on the patient under the elisa method," Atin Ghosh, the member mayor-in-council, told the reporters on Friday after a meeting with the state and Union health department officials at the civic headquarters.

Since an NS-1 antigen test may or may not prove presence of dengue germs, the KMC health officials are preferring elisa test over the conventional one. "It is more accurate and conclusive. Since elisa test is expensive, we have opened five laboratories, which have this modern facility to detect dengue germs," said T K Mukherjee, the officer-on-special duty of the KMC health department.

However, experts who took part in Friday's meeting, apart from its own reports, the civic body should also take into account figures from the private hospitals, nursing homes and laboratories. The experts who participated in the meeting included, Krishnangshu Chakraborty, the director of the School of Tropical Medicine, Puspita Banerjee, regional director, Union health department, Sekhar Chakraborty, director NICED, Ashok Biswas technical adviser of the state health department and others. "We will abide by the guideline given to us by the experts," said a KMC health department official.

In Salt Lake, meanwhile, the Bidhannagar municipality held a meeting with the state health department officials for more than two hours on Friday to take stock of the situation. The civic authorities later said that there was nothing to panic or worry for.

After the meeting, senior health department official Himadri Sekhar Sanyal said that the official figure of dengue affected persons in Salt Lake area is 11. Nine of them were admitted to Bidhannagar sub divisional hospital, one to Beliaghata ID hospital and another to School of Tropical Medicine. Officials said that there is a government guideline on identifying a case as dengue and some private hospitals are bypassing the rules. Having one parameter as indicative of dengue does not mean that the patient is a dengue positive patient, officials said.

Dengue panic sweeps but Kolkata Municipal Corporation sleeps - Times Of India

The website of the health department said that dengue has so far claimed three lives in the metropolis where 1,160 persons have been afflicted.
Health department sources said that the deaths were caused by dengue shock syndrome.

Dengue spreading in Kolkata, over 1000 afflicted - India - West Bengal - ibnlive

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Dengue fever facts

Dengue fever is a disease caused by a family of viruses that are transmitted by mosquitoes.
Symptoms such as headache, fever, exhaustion, severe joint and muscle pain, swollen glands (lymphadenopathy), and rash. The presence (the "dengue triad") of fever, rash, and headache (and other pains) is particularly characteristic of dengue fever.
Dengue is prevalent throughout the tropics and subtropics. Outbreaks have occurred recently in the Caribbean, including Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Cuba, and in Paraguay in South America, and Costa Rica in Central America.
Because dengue fever is caused by a virus, there is no specific medicine or antibiotic to treat it. For typical dengue fever, the treatment is purely concerned with relief of the symptoms (symptomatic).
The acute phase of the illness with fever and myalgias lasts about one to two weeks.
Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) is a specific syndrome that tends to affect children under 10 years of age. It causes abdominal pain, hemorrhage (bleeding), and circulatory collapse (shock).
The prevention of dengue fever requires control or eradication of the mosquitoes carrying the virus that causes dengue.
There is currently no vaccine available for dengue fever.

What is dengue fever?

Dengue fever is a disease caused by a family of viruses that are transmitted by mosquitoes. It is an acute illness of sudden onset that usually follows a benign course with symptoms such as headache, fever, exhaustion, severe muscle and joint pain, swollen glands (lymphadenopathy), and rash. The presence (the "dengue triad") of fever, rash, and headache (and other pains) is particularly characteristic of dengue. Other signs of dengue fever include bleeding gums, severe pain behind the eyes, and red palms and soles.

Dengue (pronounced DENG-gay) can affect anyone but tends to be more severe in people with compromised immune systems. Because it is caused by one of four serotypes of virus, it is possible to get dengue fever multiple times. However, an attack of dengue produces immunity for a lifetime to that particular serotype to which the patient was exposed.

Dengue goes by other names, including "breakbone" or "dandy fever." Victims of dengue often have contortions due to the intense joint and muscle pain, hence the name breakbone fever. Slaves in the West Indies who contracted dengue were said to have dandy fever because of their postures and gait.

Dengue hemorrhagic fever is a more severe form of the viral illness. Symptoms include headache, fever, rash, and evidence of hemorrhage in the body. Petechiae (small red or purple splotches or blisters under the skin), bleeding in the nose or gums, black stools, or easy bruising are all possible signs of hemorrhage. This form of dengue fever can be life-threatening and can progress to the most severe form of the illness, dengue shock syndrome.

Reviewed by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD on 9/9/2011

Global Defence

New threads

Articles