Panetta's visit to India could seal deal for Apache

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag

Exactly a week before Indo-US strategic dialogue in Washington, US defence secretary Leon Panetta is coming to the Capital on June 6 to discuss long term defence cooperation and seal the big ticket $1.4 billion worth sale of 22 Apache Longbow attack helicopters to India.Government sources said Panetta will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, his Indian counterpart AK Antony as well as other senior leaders of the UPA government. Principal deputy assistant Secretary of defence Dr Peter Lavoy was in Dehi today and briefed India about the Nato summit in Chicago on Afghanistan.

Secretary Panetta during his day long visit will share Pentagon's perception of political developments in China, Pakistan and Afghanistan. However, his main focus is going to be post 2014 scenario in Afghanistan after America withdraws from Kabul.

Both India and US are committed to a long term commitment to Afghanistan in order to have stablility in the regional neighbourhood. Panetta will be flying into India after attending the Shangri La dialogue in Singapore.

While the defence secretary will discuss long term defence cooperation with India, he will also ensure that the Apache deal is sealed during his visit. Pursued by India for the past two years, the Apache 64D II is possibily the best attack helicopter and has had a proven record in Iraq and Afghanistan operations. As of now, the two sides are trying to close the offsets part of the deal.

Terrorism is also going to be on the agenda for the bilateral talks with Panetta. A key player of Obama administration and a former CIA chief, he may also share the inside information about the US operation that took out Osama Bin Laden in Abbottabad in Pakistan last May.

Panetta's visit to India could seal deal for Apache | idrw.org

drkrn

within how much time will they be delivered once contract got signed

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Apache is a combat tested helicopter.

It is very fine and effective machine.

However, it is essential that the restrictive clauses of US military equipment sold to non allies is not added to this sale.

If there are restrictions wherein the sovereign rights are compromised, then the deal is a bad deal, Panetta or not!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

However, it is essential that the restrictive clauses of US military equipment sold to non allies is not added to this sale.

If there are restrictions wherein the sovereign rights are compromised, then the deal is a bad deal, Panetta or not!
It was not that long ago that Panetta publicly referred to India as an "emerging threat", so based on that data point we have progress.:thumb:

Tronic

Sir, India has already signed a modified End User Monitoring Agreement, after much negotiations taking the sensitivities of the Indian military into account, therefore it applies to all Indo-US sales.

It is CISMOA (Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement) which India has still refused to sign, and therefore we receive the US equipment, such as the C-130Js, stripped of transponders, data links and SATCOMs; where we replace that equipment with our own.

Same will likely happen with the Apaches.

ant80

Sir, India has already signed a modified End User Monitoring Agreement, after much negotiations taking the sensitivities of the Indian military into account, therefore it applies to all Indo-US sales.

It is CISMOA (Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement) which India has still refused to sign, and therefore we receive the US equipment, such as the C-130Js, stripped of transponders, data links and SATCOMs; where we replace that equipment with our own.

Same will likely happen with the Apaches.
What is the CISMOA? I read the expansion, but what does it signify? How is it important?

Tronic

What is the CISMOA? I read the expansion, but what does it signify? How is it important?
I believe CISMOA mainly deals with sharing each others data-links and communications. It is important because such an agreement will force India to open up its encrypted communication lines so they can be integrated with US systems. It is more of a strategic and political tool rather than militaristic. Signing this will give the US open access to our lines and us to theirs, but it also means that we would than be cemented firmly into the US camp.

It's similar to the MLSA, which is also something India refuses to sign, which gives the US open access to use our bases, and gives us open access to use their bases. However, again, it has a political significance since it means we will be cemented in their camp and shift away from our non-aligned policy, therefore, we're not signing it.

Last edited:

shubhamsaikia

In the long run, India has to chose. We need a don't mess with us policy and with threat emerging from all sides. India cementing a bond with the US will go a long way in lowering the threat....

Country flag
I believe CISMOA mainly deals with sharing each others data-links and communications. It is important because such an agreement will force India to open up its encrypted communication lines so they can be integrated with US systems. It is more of a strategic and political tool rather than militaristic. Signing this will give the US open access to our lines and us to theirs, but it also means that we would than be cemented firmly into the US camp.

It's similar to the MLSA, which is also something India refuses to sign, which gives the US open access to use our bases, and gives us open access to use their bases. However, again, it has a political significance since it means we will be cemented in their camp and shift away from our non-aligned policy, therefore, we're not signing it.
These policies are for almost all US defense customers.USA has to ensure things like
F16 sold to venezuela does not become a problem with other customers or USA another
Example f14 sold to Iran. There are compromises like using our own datalink in p8i.

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
india has commited a big mistake in not awarding the contract to mi-28 night hunter given the unreliability of washington as a weapon supplier.god knows how many agreements we had to sign(under cover from media glare) to opearte the apache.also according to their whimps and fancies they may stop supply of spares.i know some of you will aso argue that russia is also not a reliable supplier of spares given the bad condition of it's helicopter industry,but i would like to point out that we are already procuring 159mi-17s from them so that means iaf do trust them.

drkrn

every coin has two sides.yes American helos come with many rules.but they are the best

in apache longbow radar,gives us superiority than Pakistan and China not from Russia. leaving aside spare problems

Zebra

Country flag
More Indo-US Defence Deals On The Agenda .

Pending bilateral defence deals may figure in the upcoming talks between US Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta and his Indian counterpart, AK Antony. Panetta is slated to visit India in June.

Panetta's visit will be the first by a US Defence Secretary after ties between the two countries were strained last year following India's rejection of two US contenders from the bid for a contract for supply of 126 Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft to the Indian Air Force.

The two sides are also likely to sign some deals, including the one for 145 Ultra Light Howitzers. The discussion between Panetta and Antony may also include the pending deals like Logistic Support Agreement (LSA) and Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) and Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) for geo-spatial ties, sources said.

The leaders will also discuss pending defence deals and explore ways to boost ties, sources added.

The two sides have enhanced military cooperation with an increase in military exercises and sale of weapon systems to India by the US. In the last five years, India has procured weapon systems worth over $8bn from the US. The list includes C-130J and C-17 transport aircraft, P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft and naval warships. :confused:

The United States has had more exercises with the Indian Armed Forces than any other ally in the world, more than even the armed forces of the UK and Australia which are seen as the closest allies of the US.

Defence News - More Indo-US Defence Deals On The Agenda

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

If this is the case then India has more to gain from CISMOA than US. What will the US gain from gaining access to Indian militray communication lines, probably not much. India on the other hand could potentially learn a lot from having access to the most cutting edge military communication system... What do you think? :thumb:

Adux

Country flag
If this is the case then India has more to gain from CISMOA than US. What will the US gain from gaining access to Indian militray communication lines, probably not much. India on the other hand could potentially learn a lot from having access to the most cutting edge military communication system... What do you think? :thumb:
Nice one, i dont think though much people got what you are getting at.

But no thank you, we dont intend to be some second tier power, no country however advanced is ever going to have some other country have a intrusive system such as the CISMOA, now it is a fact, they cannot access our secure lines (so they say) and but I am sure we cant theirs.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nice one, i dont think though much people got what you are getting at.

But no thank you, we dont intend to be some second tier power, no country however advanced is ever going to have some other country have a intrusive system such as the CISMOA, now it is a fact, they cannot access our secure lines (so they say) and but I am sure we cant theirs.
How about the fact that it runs both ways under CISMOA as India can access US military communications?

I don't know if this is really what CISMOA means, but if it is how I understand it ot be (based on comments here) then this arrangement means a full pledged alliance as both parties will be figuratively naked before each other. So if India feels it cannot yet accept that arrangement then it indirectly means that it is not yet ready to have a full military alliance with the US...

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
How about the fact that it runs both ways under CISMOA as India can access US military communications?

I don't know if this is really what CISMOA means, but if it is how I understand it ot be (based on comments here) then this arrangement means a full pledged alliance as both parties will be figuratively naked before each other. So if India feels it cannot yet accept that arrangement then it indirectly means that it is not yet ready to have a full military alliance with the US...

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
^^
News video is from October, 2010

Tronic

That was just a tiny example of CISMOA.

And no, it is not necessarily beneficial since the encryption can be compromised and passed on, say, to Pakistan, in a future conflict. This may sound very unlikely at the present, but let's face it, Pakistan is and has been a "major non-NATO US ally" for decades, so much so, Task Force 74 sailed for the Bay of Bengal postured against India in the last major Indo-Pak war. Pakistan is still being propped, and still being provided US weapons at highly subsidized rates.

Also, there is nothing indirect here, India is not willing to have a military alliance with the US on these terms. Even if CISMOA is signed, LSA is still a big no.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles