Pakistan's Ideology and Identity crisis

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Hey @musalman it is so nice to see you back to answering our Islamic related questions again. :)

I am a little peeved with you, since there are some questions which I had addressed to you several years ago. I have also been repeatedly addressing the same question(s) over the years several times. I am yet to receive a response or an answer.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Hey @musalman it is so nice to see you back to answering our Islamic related questions again. :)

I am a little peeved with you, since there are some questions which I had addressed to you several years ago. I have also been repeatedly addressing the same question(s) over the years several times. I am yet to receive a response or an answer.
Please check those threads again I have answered all your questions

sorcerer

Country flag
Pakistan’s Militant Dilemma

The start of the new year has been brutally effective for terrorists in Pakistan: more than 60 people have already lost their lives in terror-related incidents. The Pakistani Taliban’s name has resurfaced again, which has renewed existing concerns that the Taliban insurgency–even if reduced–has survived and retained its previous ability to strike back.

The Pakistani Taliban’s resurgence has taken place at a time when other militant groups are trying to fill the vacuum left by the former–the group has been on the run due to a military operation against them. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and groups associated with it are posing a serious threat in this regard. The group has been actively looking for recruits in the country. A week ago, dozens of suspects across the country were detained by security agencies in connection with the group. Moreover, reportedly, the group has established regional chapters across the country.

The group’s ideology and propaganda tactics make it far more lethal than any other group with militant roots in the country. Its virtual presence across the globe has turned it into a successful terror brand, which every militant group wishes to follow or imitate. The recent attacks in Jakarta are an example that ISIS is rallying militants across the world under its banner.

So far, ISIS’s recruitment patterns in the country have emerged across all societal strata, raising grave concerns for what may transpire in the future. More than 100 people, including a large number of children and women, have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight for the group. ISIS has reportedly vowed to unite all Pakistani militant groups under its flag.

Pakistan’s year-long military offensive against the Taliban has been put to question, along with other elements of the National Action Plan (NAP)–a 20 point plan devised to tackle militancy and extremism in Pakistan.

Under the NAP, Pakistan has tried all knee-jerk options, ranging from stiff military action to the execution of hardcore terrorists. Pakistan may have targeted some insurgents, but it has not done much to contain the ideology that breeds radicalization and drives such insurgencies across the country.

In the past, promotion of radical Islamic ideas in the country has resulted in increasing radicalization. The institutionalization and selective use of Islam by the state for segregation and control, internally and externally, has opened up several battlegrounds across Pakistan with disastrous results. In 2001, Pakistan was home to more than 50 religious political parties and 24 armed religious militias; this number has grown steadily since.

Moreover, Pakistan’s militant dilemma is like a paradox where certain militant groups are perceived as grave threat to national security while others are let off the hook, which further complicates the problem. After the 9/11 attacks, while Pakistan was willing to cooperate with the international community, particularly the United States, it didn’t perceive the Pashtun Afghan insurgents operating from its territory and their allies as a potential national security threat.

With the arrival of the Afghan Taliban in the Federally Administrated Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan in 2001, war literally came home to Pakistan. Pakistan’s indigenous Taliban movement is a direct result of these policies.

After the school massacre in Peshawar last year, Pakistan vowed to target all militants, regardless of their agenda or affiliation. Many are apprehensive that Pakistan will actually give up its policy of supporting militant groups that target Indian interests. In a recent interview, U.S. President Barack Obama, while condemning the recent attacks at Pathankot, urged Pakistan that it “can and must” take more effective measures against militant groups operating from its soil by “delegitimizing, disrupting and dismantling” their terror networks.

The Pathankot attack was publicly claimed by Jaish-e-Muhammad, a militant group based in Pakistan. The group continues to operate freely despite the fact it was banned years ago. Furthermore, the United Jihad Council (UJC)–an umbrella organization comprising various militant groups–also claimed responsibility for the air base attack. UJC recently held an open really in Muzaffarabad in Azad Kashmir.

Unless Pakistan addresses the ideology behind radicalization and relinquishes its policy of support for those militants groups that target neighboring states, its militant problem will continue to grow worse.
http://thediplomat.com/2016/01/pakistans-militant-dilemma/

Hamza Baloch

Ok, I will grant you that on technicality. I am still convinced Pakistan is a Shia-hating (and any non-Sunni minority hating) society.
Bhai jaan, I'm Shia and Pakistanis dont hate Shias. Half of our government and military is Shia; terrorists attack everyone and anyone - whether it be sunni, shia or christian - but they dont represent the state or its people. Shias are proud Pakistanis - and they've contributed alot to our nation.

Regards, :)

Hamza Baloch

Pakistan’s Militant Dilemma

The start of the new year has been brutally effective for terrorists in Pakistan: more than 60 people have already lost their lives in terror-related incidents. The Pakistani Taliban’s name has resurfaced again, which has renewed existing concerns that the Taliban insurgency–even if reduced–has survived and retained its previous ability to strike back.

The Pakistani Taliban’s resurgence has taken place at a time when other militant groups are trying to fill the vacuum left by the former–the group has been on the run due to a military operation against them. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and groups associated with it are posing a serious threat in this regard. The group has been actively looking for recruits in the country. A week ago, dozens of suspects across the country were detained by security agencies in connection with the group. Moreover, reportedly, the group has established regional chapters across the country.

The group’s ideology and propaganda tactics make it far more lethal than any other group with militant roots in the country. Its virtual presence across the globe has turned it into a successful terror brand, which every militant group wishes to follow or imitate. The recent attacks in Jakarta are an example that ISIS is rallying militants across the world under its banner.

So far, ISIS’s recruitment patterns in the country have emerged across all societal strata, raising grave concerns for what may transpire in the future. More than 100 people, including a large number of children and women, have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight for the group. ISIS has reportedly vowed to unite all Pakistani militant groups under its flag.

Pakistan’s year-long military offensive against the Taliban has been put to question, along with other elements of the National Action Plan (NAP)–a 20 point plan devised to tackle militancy and extremism in Pakistan.

Under the NAP, Pakistan has tried all knee-jerk options, ranging from stiff military action to the execution of hardcore terrorists. Pakistan may have targeted some insurgents, but it has not done much to contain the ideology that breeds radicalization and drives such insurgencies across the country.

In the past, promotion of radical Islamic ideas in the country has resulted in increasing radicalization. The institutionalization and selective use of Islam by the state for segregation and control, internally and externally, has opened up several battlegrounds across Pakistan with disastrous results. In 2001, Pakistan was home to more than 50 religious political parties and 24 armed religious militias; this number has grown steadily since.

Moreover, Pakistan’s militant dilemma is like a paradox where certain militant groups are perceived as grave threat to national security while others are let off the hook, which further complicates the problem. After the 9/11 attacks, while Pakistan was willing to cooperate with the international community, particularly the United States, it didn’t perceive the Pashtun Afghan insurgents operating from its territory and their allies as a potential national security threat.

With the arrival of the Afghan Taliban in the Federally Administrated Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan in 2001, war literally came home to Pakistan. Pakistan’s indigenous Taliban movement is a direct result of these policies.

After the school massacre in Peshawar last year, Pakistan vowed to target all militants, regardless of their agenda or affiliation. Many are apprehensive that Pakistan will actually give up its policy of supporting militant groups that target Indian interests. In a recent interview, U.S. President Barack Obama, while condemning the recent attacks at Pathankot, urged Pakistan that it “can and must” take more effective measures against militant groups operating from its soil by “delegitimizing, disrupting and dismantling” their terror networks.

The Pathankot attack was publicly claimed by Jaish-e-Muhammad, a militant group based in Pakistan. The group continues to operate freely despite the fact it was banned years ago. Furthermore, the United Jihad Council (UJC)–an umbrella organization comprising various militant groups–also claimed responsibility for the air base attack. UJC recently held an open really in Muzaffarabad in Azad Kashmir.

Unless Pakistan addresses the ideology behind radicalization and relinquishes its policy of support for those militants groups that target neighboring states, its militant problem will continue to grow worse.
http://thediplomat.com/2016/01/pakistans-militant-dilemma/
TTP is dying if not dead; bombs and blasts are their last breaths as they desperately are trying to keep the population under fear again. They're infrastructure is crippled, and they are using whatever is left of their scarce resources. Looking at the terror index - ratings of Pakistan is declining while ratings of India is increasing; so you should be worried about your own country.

Attachments

Compersion

Country flag
I am getting a sense the contemporary part of Paki identity is smugness and cockiness - It is brought from getting away with wrongs.

It is being displayed by Nawaz Sherrif and all the others that include interactions with top PM Modi and even NSA.

It is like a smugness and cockiness they are playing India and wanting the state of affairs play out because it would be accommodating to making india not look good ... it is with the impression that like in kashmir the people will support them (when they did not).

but ...

it is like the line of thought on 26 - 11 : it was planned to make [x] look bad, it was inside job, yet Pakistan is labelled - why execution and who made the final moves.

like in our religious texts it does not matter about numbers ... it is the reason and truth and righteousness that prevails. Lord Krishna was on the right side and the moves made were decisive and everlasting teachings.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Bhai jaan, I'm Shia and Pakistanis dont hate Shias. Half of our government and military is Shia; terrorists attack everyone and anyone - whether it be sunni, shia or christian - but they dont represent the state or its people. Shias are proud Pakistanis - and they've contributed alot to our nation.

Regards, :)
Do you have any source to support your claim? That half of your government and military is shia? Please share.

Hamza Baloch

Do you have any source to support your claim? That half of your government and military is shia? Please share.
Pakistan army does not take sect surveys - but its well known in Pakistan. Our founder was Shia and our previous ruler was Shia. Also, you shuld be here at military areas during Muharamm.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Pakistan army does not take sect surveys - but its well known in Pakistan. Our founder was Shia and our previous ruler was Shia. Also, you shuld be here at military areas during Muharamm.
No sect surveys, then how would you know? What about the consensus? If no sect surveys are carried out how do people know the percentage of different religious people there?

I understand you are trying to prove a point. Bit you can't prove without proof.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hamza Baloch

No sect surveys, then how would you know? What about the consensus? If no sect surveys are carried out how do people know the percentage of different religious people there?

I understand you are trying to prove a point. Bit you can't prove without proof.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I was using my own estimates and sarcastically over-exaggerated; but I can safely put an estimate of 35% - its up to you to be believe me or not.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
TTP is dying if not dead; bombs and blasts are their last breaths as they desperately are trying to keep the population under fear again. They're infrastructure is crippled, and they are using whatever is left of their scarce resources. Looking at the terror index - ratings of Pakistan is declining while ratings of India is increasing; so you should be worried about your own country.
According to which Index terror incidents are decreasing in Pak in comparison with India ?

15 pakis dead today in a suicide blast while we crushed insurgency in Kashmir where only 300 ~ Jihadis are active.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Back in 80s I gave the test for Army, no one asked my sect.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
According to which Index terror incidents are decreasing in Pak in comparison with India ?

15 pakis dead today in a suicide blast while we crushed insurgency in Kashmir where only 300 ~ Jihadis are active.
Make that "at least" 17 dead.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Not dead. Definitely not dead. In the name of killing terrorists, your government is just massacring entire pakhtun villages.

Also, you need to check those "ratings" again. I have said before, I say again. If you post facts, post the source and/or proof with it.

Today's blast at pakistani court killed 17. This was because of Qadri execution. As long as such barbaric and primeval mentality exists and is taught in madarsas there, terrorism will never end in pakistan.

Also, talking about the terrorism in India or any other part of the world for that matter; don't forget the people behind it. They are all muslims. So when you try to put India down in comments about terrorism, you are actually putting down your own religious mentality and people.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles