Pakistan's Falcons To Fly Five New Recce Pods

smartindian

Country flag
Goodrich Corporation has been awarded a US$72 million contract to equip Lockheed-Martin F-16 fighters of the Pakistan Air Force with five DB-110 dual-band (visual/IR) reconnaissance pods. The systems will be delivered with two fixed ground stations and one mobile ground station, each equipped with one datalink receiving system (a total of four ground receiving datalinks will be delivered).

The Pakistan Air Force plans to augment the new capability by establishing a 'reconnaissance fusion center', the current contract funds the initial study of such facility to be provided by Goodrich. The U.S. Air Force is assigning a private U.S. company to train Pakistani operators and technicians in supporting the new systems.

The Pakistani air force is already operating two similar recce pods, which will now be modified with suitable datalinks to match the new ground stations. According to the U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency ex-U.S. Air Force F-16A/B fighters transferred to the Pakistani Air Force in 2008 were prepared to operate reconnaissance pods. No such capability was mentioned for the new F-16 Block 52 aircraft although it is likely that the pods will also be employed by these fighters.

The Goodrich DB-110 recce pod is operational with the Polish and Hellenic NATO Air Forces. Recent sales were approved for the UAE, Egypt, Morocco, Pakistan and Oman.

The DB-110 operates autonomously on the F-16, controlled by the pod's reconnaissance management system. Imagery can be viewed on the F-16's cockpit video display, enabling the pilot to verify targets and conduct tasks such as battle damage assessment. The real-time display also gives the pilot or aircrew more flexibility selecting alternate route to a selected target or seeking out targets of opportunity.

Goodrich's DB-110 pod has become a standard reconnaissance pod for the F-16, included in almost every new sales package of this aircraft. The pod is operational with the Polish and Hellenic NATO Air Forces, Recent sales were authorized for the UAE, Egypt, Morocco, Pakistan and Oman. The pod is also operated in its original 'Raptor' configuration, on Tornado GR4 and Japanese P-3C maritime patrol aircraft. Saudi Arabia has also been offered 10 DB-110 pods, yet to be integrated on their F-15SA Eagle as part of the latest multi-billion shopping spree of U.S. arms.

More recently the DB-110 system has also been modified to operate on unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) such as the Reaper – demonstrating the capability to operate simultaneously with other UAV sensor systems, including full motion video short range imaging payloads, radars and weapons.

http://defense-update.com/wp/20110121_db-110_pakistan.html

arya

Country flag
usa is helping them as they can

i dont why cant we see and take steps for our interest

Blackwater

Double standard of pakiz and there mamuus USA. IT will be used agains India not against Taliban. Even ammericaa knows it than WHY.

rizwan78

Country flag
Blackwater i assure you, our all Missiles, N-Bombs, Jet fighters, are meant to be used against the dangerous Taliban of our eastern side.......................

JBH22

USA is really the thekedaar of democracy and fight against terrorism first they arm and foster islamic fundamentalism to fight Russians note they were known as freedom fighters back then.
Now to fight the terrorist they give Pakistan Harpoon Missile,F-16,M-109 Paladin SP,Cluster bombs :)

rizwan78

Country flag
USA is really the thekedaar of democracy and fight against terrorism first they arm and foster islamic fundamentalism to fight Russians note they were known as freedom fighters back then.
Now to fight the terrorist they give Pakistan Harpoon Missile,F-16,M-109 Paladin SP,Cluster bombs :)
JHB22- You are on spot, there polices are very clear, they will never allow us to solve the kashmir issue, just because they will lost the market to sell huge armaments to our countries, they are also creating iran fear to Gulf countries and milking them as much as they can, they knows that if the kashmir issue solved we both countries have enough talent to challenge the hole EU & USA.

p2prada

Not a big deal. We have similar capability if not better with the EL/M 2060P on the MKI and perhaps the Mirage-2000.

Rahul92

well i am not bothered until some one say that now f-16 hav become superior to su-30mki

Country flag
so far Pakistan has been given only a few f-16's ,this is a good carrot instead of giving more planes.

rizwan78

Country flag
you are right BW more delivered in december 2010, either way these pods offer no advantage once they are spotted by Phalcon AWACS.
Ehh, OMG, is it means superity of MKI will be now zero after the induction of saab into paf ? Think twice before posting dear .

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Blackwater and Rizwan,

This is an English language based forum, so please don't use transliterated hindi/urdu language on the forum. If you continue to do so your posts will duly get deleted.

A.V.

rizwan please post in english ............ not all understand hindi here

amitkriit

Blackwater and Rizwan,

This is an English language based forum, so please don't use transliterated hindi/urdu language on the forum. If you continue to do so your posts will duly get deleted.
I thought that this is India's defense forum. I believe all Indian official languages must be allowed on this forum, if written with native script.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I thought that this is India's defense forum. I believe all Indian official languages must be allowed on this forum, if written with native script.
Yes I know that this is a Indian defence forum. But there are many members who need not necessarily know hindi be it NRIs,PIOs and many other Indians who have no studied in Hindi. So, please stick to English as it is the language in which most educated who throng to internet can communicate in. Thanks.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I am with you on that.. especially the national language.

Country flag
Ehh, OMG, is it means superity of MKI will be now zero after the induction of saab into paf ? Think twice before posting dear .
compare range and degree of coverage,jamming ability and electronic countermeasures of Phalcon and eeryie,

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles