Pakistanis too broken to rebuild in flood crisis

ifii

Tihar Jail
Banned
MADYAN, Pakistan (Reuters) - Shah-e-Roon doesn't have the energy, money or support from Pakistan's government to help Madyan recover from floods that decimated the small town nearly a month ago.

More...

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
This is truly heartbreaking. The misfortunes befalling the Pakistani people have been relentless and staggering.

As sad as this may sound, but I do hope this tragedy brings about the mass realization that Pakistan is indeed a state without any statesmen. Up until now in any given crisis the military would swoop in, assume power and project an image of control and leadership (which would eventually all apart) under pompous generals who excelled at the bravado act. This time round it is clear that neither the civilian government not the military are really capable of doing anything substantial for their people when true leadership is required.

Perhaps it is time to go back to the drawing board and for the first time design institutions of the state to serve the people instead of having one institution that practically owns the state and operates at the expense of its people.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Good. I hope they rot in hell. Let more join the Taliban and let there be civil war......let's make sure India lays mines all across her border with Pak though....just in case the refugees start pouring in. I'm amazed that only a few million have been displaced though. What about the other 165 million? This is hardly a crisis.....a crisis it would be when 50% of their population was displaced at least and another 25% dead.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
economically pakistan is broke, militarily they are fumbling, emotionally they are drained out, the motivation of living is dead atleast for the poor who have suffered this tragic flooding, the faith in he concept of pakistan is at an all time low. pakistan quite literally has reached the same point where they were left in 71 post partition, and had it been not for the international help the consequences for pakistan would have been disastrous and breaking off of the civil war would have been an imminent threat.

as Energon said, if pakistan wants to sustain a future with the same geographical boundaries they better tame their elites and elites are not just in the army who only tend to work for themselves, these types are to be found everywhere right from army to political class to bureaucracy to top businesses and till the time this is not done pakistan as a country can never dream of being a successful country since otherwise they are too loosely built and each time they have some problem confronting them that just snowballs into something potentially disastrous.

but then there is a saying which loosely goes as -
you fumble once, its a mistake. you fumble twice on the same thing you are an idiot, but if you keep repeating it, you are a pakistani. will they learn anything? well if the past is anything to go by then the answer is a NO!

johnee

Good. I hope they rot in hell. Let more join the Taliban and let there be civil war......let's make sure India lays mines all across her border with Pak though....just in case the refugees start pouring in. I'm amazed that only a few million have been displaced though. What about the other 165 million? This is hardly a crisis.....a crisis it would be when 50% of their population was displaced at least and another 25% dead.
The best thing would be to create new nations, like Sindh, Balochistan and Pakhtunkwa, so that we all(including the average abdul of pakistan) can be rid of the poisonous ideology of pakistaniyat. Pakistan as a nation serves neither its people nor benefits the world. Only PA and pakjabi elites need Pakistan to perpetuate their monopoly on the resources. The average pakistani(specially a non-pakjabi) is also a victim and needs liberation just like the dear old Bangladeshis.

if pakistan wants to sustain a future with the same geographical boundaries they better tame their elites
If aunty had balls, she'd be uncle....

Solid Beast

You reap what you sow. We have sowed...time to harvest the fruit of our labour. This is what happens to a country that only focuses on destroying its neighbours. If there is a God, he is carrying out justice on Pakistanis for silently allowing misfortunes to happen, hitting the voting booth or streets to celebrate everytime a tyrant forced his way into power. When you stand by idly and let your country be eaten by snakes and rats, you will also feel the consequences.

Rebelkid

I feel sad when i hear 3.5 million children suffering .. they have done nothing wrong to have this suffering...

Solid Beast

I feel sad when i hear 3.5 million children suffering .. they have done nothing wrong to have this suffering...
There's way more suffering children in Pakistan. Well what use can they make of your sympathy when their own government doesn't give a damn? I've never heard the establishment even hint at the fact that we might have suffering children in our country.

Illusive

Country flag
The Pak govt. main focus would be on saving their strategic assets, not the children who are future of Pakistan but their military hardware, corrupt politicians and ofcourse terrorists.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
There is an overwhelming swell of anger among the affected that any politician that would visit the affected will be end up in a neck tie party (get hanged). That is one of the reason all Pakistani politicians are avoiding the visit to the affected. Pakistan doesn't have a mechanism by which it can reached. If one goes by NYTimes report by a Pakistani journalist, it was clear that Pakistani Army has made breaches to the national highway to divert the water away from Jacobabad air base to avoid flooding of new F-16s. In the process, they have ended up flooding Baloch cities and their people. Now politicians/landlords/Pakistani Army will face the music once the flood waters recede completely and the affected people gains some semblance of clarity on what has transpired and how they got caught in the greed of landlords/politicians/Army's to save their assets at the cost of poor.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pakistan historically survives on the munificence of wealthy foreign powers.

It might appear heartless, but the elements also connive to keep Pakistan under the thumb of others. It is their kismet or so it appears. Every time some democracy struggles to take root, the military intervenes and now, Nature has unleashed her fury so that the democratic govt of Pakistan is made to appear but the usual puppet on a string.

The Western electronic media shows Pakistanis disgruntled with the Pakistan govt's effort and praises the Army for action. Am I to understand that the Pakistan Army is not a part of the Govt machinery and instead is an independent body, giving credence that countries adopt Armies, while in Pakistan, the Army adopts the country!!:emot100:

prototype

Pakistan was already broke,that was a nation already living on aid's and soft loan's in the magnitude of Billion's,and the flood's just added salt to their wound's

But this was bound to happen from the day they rise as an Independent nation,high level corruption, insurgency and ineffective governance made this already possible,that was a nation raised on Islamic values,now is in ruins due to Islamic insurgency,they created a paranoia for themselves about the threat from India and its security,which always remained top priority for them rather than its development

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think it is better to use the word jihadi terrorism and not Islamic terrorism because all Muslims are not terrorists. It is only the Muslims who subscribe to use terrorism as an agenda and cloak it with religious hoohah, who are the terrorists.

Technically, the Muslim of Osama's ilk are giving a pretzel like interpretation and waging terrorism and calling it a jihad. They are terrorists par excellence and not all Muslims.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles