Pakistani Military Still Cultivates Militant Groups, a Former Fighter Says

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Pakistani Military Still Cultivates Militant Groups, a Former Fighter Says :tsk:

By Carlotta Gall

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The Pakistani military continues to nurture a broad range of militant groups as part of a three-decade strategy of using proxies against its neighbors and American forces in Afghanistan, but now some of the fighters it trained are questioning that strategy, a prominent former militant commander says.

The former commander said that he was supported by the Pakistani military for 15 years as a fighter, leader and trainer of insurgents until he quit a few years ago. Well known in militant circles but accustomed to a covert existence, he gave an interview to The New York Times on the condition that his name, location and other personal details not be revealed.

Militant groups, like Lashkar-e-Taiba, Harakat-ul-Mujahedeen and Hizbul Mujahedeen, are run by religious leaders, with the Pakistani military providing training, strategic planning and protection. That system was still functioning, he said.

The former commander's account belies years of assurances by Pakistan to American officials since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that it has ceased supporting militant groups in its territory. The United States has given Pakistan more than $20 billion in aid over the past decade for its help with counterterrorism operations. Still, the former commander said, Pakistan's military and intelligence establishment has not abandoned its policy of supporting the militant groups as tools in Pakistan's dispute with India over the border territory of Kashmir and in Afghanistan to drive out American and NATO forces.

rest of the article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/04/wo...kistan.html?hp

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1. Pakistan will be always there.

2. Terrorism will be always flowing..

3. We need to stop talking..

Solution is logic, To strengthen our defense, Starting from Army`s Infantry Modernization..

Last edited:

Blackwater

I remember the old saying, " If you keep dog's tail in straight pipe for 100yrs, it will still be same". Did i say anything wrong??:confused::confused::namaste::becky:

bhramos

Country flag
I remember the old saying, " If you keep dog's tail in straight pipe for 100yrs, it will still be same". Did i say anything wrong??:confused::confused::namaste::becky:
That is true. i think that former militant would be killed soon by PA...........!!!!!!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles