Pakistan withdraws opposition to India's presence in Ankara talks on Afghanistan

ejazr

Ambassador
http://www.thehindu.com/news/article1602337.ece

In an apparent softening of its attitude against India, Pakistan has withdrawn its opposition to New Delhi's participation in a preparatory conclave on the security and reconstruction of Afghanistan to be held in Ankara next month, a media report today said.

"Senior officials within the administration have advised the foreign ministry not to oppose India's participation in the conference," an official source was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune newspaper.

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry had earlier told Turkey that Islamabad would not attend the conference if India was invited.

"Our civilian establishment is gradually digesting the idea of consulting India on regional issues," a high—ranking source told the daily.

The Ankara conclave will chalk out a plan for the International Conference of Foreign Ministers on Afghanistan scheduled to be held in Bonn in December.

More than 1,000 delegates from 90 countries, including Pakistan and India, have been invited to the conference.

Among those who will attend are Afghan President Hamid Karzai, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the UN Secretary General.

Foreign policy experts confirmed this change in the government's policy towards India.

"There is a visible change in Pakistan's attitude towards India on regional issues," said Simbal Khan, director for Afghanistan and Central Asia at the Institute of Strategic Studies.

"Our attitude is softening. If we can talk to India on other issues with a regional approach, there should be no harm in talking to it on the Afghan issue.

"We should keep in mind that India is the fifth largest donor to Afghanistan," she said.

The conference will focus on three key areas: transfer of security responsibility to the Afghan government by 2014, further international commitment to Afghanistan after the handover to Afghans, and the political process, including national reconciliation and integration of the Taliban.

Pakistan has often accused India of using Afghanistan as a base for "destabilising" its border regions, especially Balochistan province and the tribal belt.

However, Khan said: "Karzai had addressed Pakistan's concerns over India's role in Afghanistan. He removed top officials of the Afghan spy agency who were considered to be close to India."

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The Hindu Newspaper i have found to be a liberal apologist who thinks that any good gesture from Pakistan is something to be cherished more than what India does by running extra miles for these cunning Pakistanis.

Why Pakistan will object when India is spending money from its own pocket? Especially when Pakistani think tanks are suggesting GoP to go India's way by treating Afghanistan as an Isolated entity now. This shift is nothing but knee jerk reaction to Pakistan's isolation in geo political arena where stake holders have seen an exposed Pakistan seeking selfish strategic depth by exploiting Afghanistan repeatedly. The Hindu is happy to give Brownie point to Pakistan when Pakistan has no other option left but to enact friendly with India and end her geo political isolation.

neo29

Its wrong to blame The Hindu newspaper. It probably has the guts to post a news positive towards pakistan unlike others who only live on Pakistan criticism..

hit&run

Mod
Nobody enforces criticism of Pakistan to be mandatory in Indian newspapers. A pot is black and will always remain black as far as Pakistan is concerned.

I have given my reason why Pakistan has gone kind hearted to Indian participation now, after objecting and bullying Indian presence for last many years and inflicting sever damage to lives of many Indians in AF.
If you have anything to share other than defending The Hindu's gut; I would eye on it.
Thanx.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
as per najam sethi the deal has been india backs out of baluchistan to which supposedly the indian side has been made to agree through factors like the US (not sure true or false) and pakistan has dropped its opposition to india's involvement in a'stan ..................

hit&run

Mod
as per najam sethi the deal has been india backs out of baluchistan to which supposedly the indian side has been made to agree through factors like the US (not sure true or false) and pakistan has dropped its opposition to india's involvement in a'stan ..................
Why would Pakistan deal Baluchistan when exposing alleged Indian involvement can do miracles for her. As far as Afghanistan is concerned then one should wait to see Pakistani reaction after when USA will leave the place.
I would say its India's 2nd win by (alleged) interfering in Baluchistan, first during Pak supported insurgency in Punjab and now AF. I am not going to buy this BTW.

ganesh177

Country flag
If true thats a poor deal. I dont think its true though.
Why it wud be poor cause india backing off from baluchistan has its equivalent only with pakistan backing off from kashmir. Afghanistan does not fit into this equation.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The Hindu Newspaper i have found to be a liberal apologist who thinks that any good gesture from Pakistan is something to be cherished more than what India does by running extra miles for these cunning Pakistanis.
Tell me which media name isn't in India? Every goddamn media outlet in this country is occupied by self-ashamed, self-embarrassed bunch of losers who know nothing but perversion of genuine meaning of liberal and secular ideologies and every single media outlet in India is sold out to some or the other political babu. Burkha Dutt and Suzanna Arundhati Roy, Gautam Navlakha, Rajdeep Sardesai, Pranoy Roy and Vikram Chandra are fine examples of media personalities with the above characteristics.

ejazr

Ambassador
Very surprising to question a newspapers credibility for just reporting a factual piece of news. Besides, I doubt if Pakistan alone had the ability to block India in Turkey in anycase. There have been recent articles as well as ministerial level talks in which Turkey apologised for not including India earlier and promised to do so in any round of later talks. Pakistan had to basically agree and say that or face with the embarassing position of saying India should not be included while its supposedly "close ally" Turkey formally invited India anyways in defiance to Pakistan's wishes.

IMO, Turkey told Pakistan quietly to just accept this because we are inviting India wether you like it or not. And to act as a face saving method, they basically came out with the statement that we don't mind India's inclusion in the talks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles