Pakistan, where is your sovereignty?

kickok1975

Osama Bin Laden's Killing is exciting news around the world. The evil finally dies. But put this news aside, I'm surprised to find Laden was killed at a city so close to the capital-Islamabad, and was killed by a foreign force-American Seals Special Force, instead of Pakistani soldiers.

Pakistan is an independent country. But a foreign country's military air craft, drones can fly everyday above her sky; foreign troops can choose when, where, who and how to attack their target, eliminate their enemies in her territory. While thousands of innocent Pakistanis fall victims of such "collateral damages", Pakistan government just sit there idle with empty "protesting". How ironical it is. Isn't it a little shameful?

Pakistan people deserve better life. But the government needs to act like one for Pakistan people. As an observer, I just hope Osama's death is the end of miserable period for Pakistan and all Muslim countries around the world, and the beginning of peace and prosperous for good people living in that land.

pmaitra

@kickok1975,

I wonder why you are asking this question. Are you concerned that Pakistan does not really have any sovereignty?

Moreover, I wonder why you are asking this question now. Does it concern you that its sovereignty was lost to USA?

Where was Pakistan's sovereignty when it handed over large swathes of Gilgit-Baltistan, Indian territory under Pakistani occupation, to forces of the PRC?

Am I guessing it right?

kickok1975

@kickok1975,

I wonder why you are asking this question. Are you concerned that Pakistan does not really have any sovereignty?

Moreover, I wonder why you are asking this question now. Does it concern you that its sovereignty was lost to USA?

Where was Pakistan's sovereignty when it handed over large swathes of Gilgit-Baltistan, Indian territory under Pakistani occupation, to forces of the PRC?

Am I guessing it right?
My post is not a question need answer. It's a question to express my concern and disappointment of Pakistan's current status. Pakistan makes her own destiny. Neither China nor USA can determine where she needs to go.

Country flag
My post is not a question need answer. It's a question to express my concern and disappointment of Pakistan's current status. Pakistan makes her own destiny. Neither China nor USA can determine where she needs to go.
Kickok1975 Nations choose friends like people do. Nations want friends that are an asset not a liability. Both USA and China must know this well.

kickok1975

Kickok1975 Nations choose friends like people do. Nations want friends that are an asset not a liability. Both USA and China must know this well.
I'm not in the position to say particular country is asset or liability of China. But a country can't take care of itself is a liability for the whole world, not only for China or USA. In that regard, I hope Pakistan grow more self sustainable that can share prosperity together with her neighbor, India.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
In the past decade or so, Pakistan lost more sovereignty to PRC than to USA. You should be happy.

Country flag
I'm not in the position to say particular country is asset or liability of China. But a country can't take care of itself is a liability for the whole world, not only for China or USA. In that regard, I hope Pakistan grow more self sustainable that can share prosperity together with her neighbor, India.
It make take a long time maybe a few generations but when everything is viewed only in a religious sense it is very hard to change the mindset. There are still many trade opportunities being offered by India. All of India's neighbors are starting to share in the prosperity from ports,car plants to steel mills neighboring countries are getting their share of trade. Why is Pakistan missing out???

Yan Luo Wang

The most important kind of strength, is internal strength.

Pakistan has both the capability, and the potential... to be a very successful nation. They just need to elect better leaders.

Country flag
The country is not a democracy and is not run by elected officials.

SHASH2K2

When religious fanatics have majority in country and army and intelligence agencies are in bed with militants a country will not be able to prosper. Way I see things it will only get worse from now on. Pakistan is a failed state and first of all their nukes should be snatched away from them .

Yan Luo Wang

The country is not a democracy and is not run by elected officials.
Well, they can elect a replacement for Zardari at the very least.

Anyway, I'll rephrase and say "they need better leaders".

The potential is definitely there though. They have a huge population, and an excellent geostrategic location.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Country who allow terrorist to use their homeland against other country don't deserve sovereignty.

kickok1975

In the past decade or so, Pakistan lost more sovereignty to PRC than to USA. You should be happy.
I don't know what sovereignty Pakistan lost to China. If there is any and if it was not belong to China originally, I'm not thrilled on it either.
I just have a complicating feeling of Bin Laden's death. On one hand, I'm pleased to see the end of terrorist mastermind. On the other hand, I have worry about potential destabilizing of Pakistan due to lose faith of government and Islam extremist growing out of control, and America's quick withdraw which could leave a mess in South Asia for years to come. I believe such scenario is not in India's interest either.

Yan Luo Wang

I don't know what sovereignty Pakistan lost to China. If there is any and if it was not belong to China originally, I'm not thrilled on it either.
I just have a complicating feeling of Bin Laden's death. On one hand, I'm pleased to see the end of terrorist mastermind. On the other hand, I have worry about potential destabilizing of Pakistan due to lose faith of government and Islam extremist growing out of control, and America's quick withdraw which could leave a mess in South Asia for years to come. I believe such scenario is not in India's interest either.
That's right. Stability is in everyone's interest.

I hope the death of Bin Laden brings more stability to this region of the world.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

The potential is definitely there though. They have a huge population, and an excellent geostrategic location.
Their "leaders" are just PR men for those actually in power. Attempting to change/replace those "leaders" is only going to be a futile exercise. Even if there's a leader dumb enough to go into office with the idea of imposing his writ over Pakistan Army, he won't last long. Either he's killed (like the Bhuttos), or thrown out in bloodless coups (like Nawaz Sharif).

Vikramaditya

Country flag

Change in leadership will not make any change in pakistan mentality,yesterday when whole world was celebrating death of OBL.Pakistani people protested against the death of OBL.Pakistani media call USA terrorist and OBL as martyr.

Pakistani people on the road protested for OBL and was giver prayer to OBL.

Terrorism is pakistan ideology change in leadership will not change this.

You know only 3% pakistani think OBL is terrorist.

nimo_cn

Country flag
It is always a bad idea to moralize other people in public.

kickok1975

Change in leadership will not make any change in pakistan mentality,yesterday when whole world was celebrating death of OBL.Pakistani people protested against the death of OBL.Pakistani media call USA terrorist and OBL as martyr.

Pakistani people on the road protested for OBL and was giver prayer to OBL.

Terrorism is pakistan ideology change in leadership will not change this.

You know only 3% pakistani think OBL is terrorist.
Islam extremist can find soil in any country that is poor, depressed and led by corrupted government. Pakistan people are not born to be radical, and most of them are not. They just need to find a way to get their life back on track.

smartindian

Country flag
The most important kind of strength, is internal strength.

Pakistan has both the capability, and the potential... to be a very successful nation. They just need to elect better leaders.
oh really, we didnt knew , more over can you explain how a directionless country directionless army can puspore

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Like someone already said, swathes of land in Gilgit-Balisan area where there's movement of PLA; a permanent harbor with the facility to turn into a wartime base for PLAN in Gwadhar, Baloachistan; numerous soft-loans by China to set up and build a lot of leverage over Pakistan, part of which are military "sales" on those soft-loans.

I just have a complicating feeling of Bin Laden's death. On one hand, I'm pleased to see the end of terrorist mastermind.
I wouldn't have mixed feelings about anything to do with Osama Bin Laden. If he was hiding in Delhi or Beijing, we shouldn't mind if anyone uses any means to infiltrate and get his head.

On the other hand, I have worry about potential destabilizing of Pakistan due to lose faith of government and Islam extremist growing out of control, and America's quick withdraw which could leave a mess in South Asia for years to come. I believe such scenario is not in India's interest either.
I don't think his death changes much for Pakistan. If people were big fans of Osama, they didn't have faith in the Pakistani government anyway, so it's not like they'll lose faith in the government, unless they were counting on it to protect Osama.

America has a habit of pulling out of conflicts in the middle of the mess, when it wants to pull out and just needs something symbolic to validate the pull out. Even as we speak, Americans are terming the death of Osama as "the end of the war on terror", and in reality that's far from it. There is scope for China to fill into America's vacuum, under the lure of the $1 Trillion worth newfound mineral deposits in Afghanistan. So really, nothing much changes. In the process, nothing much changes for India, either.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles