Pakistan wants to rebuild ties with the U.S, says Gilani

Galaxy

Country flag

December 05, 2011

Islamabad: Pakistan wants to rebuild ties with the United States despite ongoing retaliation over deadly NATO air strikes on its troops along the Afghan border, the country's prime minister told The Associated Press on Monday, stressing that he believes "it won't take long" to achieve a new relationship with the old ally.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani's remarks indicate that Pakistan is looking for a way to restore some normalcy to ties with the United States following the November 26 airstrikes, but wants to leverage the situation to try and reset the relationship in ways more beneficial to Pakistan.

Mr Gilani also said the country remained committed to working with Afghanistan to bring insurgent leaders - many of whom are believed to be on its soil and to enjoy close relations with its security forces - into talks with the government and allow U.S. to begin withdrawing its troops as it is committed to doing.

That may reassure international leaders meeting in Germany to discuss the future of Afghanistan.

Pakistan boycotted the talks because of the air strikes along the Pakistan-Afghan border that killed 24 Pakistani troops.

"I think we have evolved some mechanisms, and we are ready to cooperate," he said, referring to meetings with Afghanistan's military and intelligence chiefs on a framework for talks. "We are committed (to reconciliation), despite that we are not attending (the Bonn meeting)," he said.

As well as boycotting the Bonn talks, Pakistan retaliated by blocking its Afghan border crossings to NATO supplies and giving the U.S. 15 days to vacate Shamsi air base, which has been used by American drones used to strike militants along the Afghan border. U.S. Ambassador Cameron Munter said in a local TV interview that Washington was doing its best to comply with Pakistan's demand to leave the air base.

Mr Gilani said new ties being negotiated with the U.S. would ensure that the two countries "respected each other's red lines" regarding sovereignty and rules of engagement along the border. While he gave few details, he made it clear he thought this was both desirable and possible.

"We hope, we really want to have good relations with the U.S. based on mutual respect and clearly defined parameters," he said. "I think that is doable. I think that it won't take long."
The two sides have given differing accounts of what led to the attacks on the army posts.

U.S. officials have said the incident occurred when a joint U.S. and Afghan patrol requested air support after coming under fire. The U.S. checked with the Pakistan military to see if there were friendly troops in the area and were told there were not, they said.

Pakistan has said the coordinates given by the Americans were wrong - an allegation denied by U.S. defense officials.

President Barack Obama called Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari on Sunday to offer his condolences for the deaths of the Pakistani soldiers and affirm the U.S. is committed to a full investigation.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Lol, a look at dollar reserves from previous aid would have sent shockwaves in the Pak govt. rebuild ties means aid and weapons for free!!
I think Pak has pushed a bit too hard this time. I doubt they will be able to recover.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So, money and military toys are required to keep Pakistan afloat.

Where has all the big talk gone?

How many days did it take for Pakistan to squeal for mercy?

What a country and a half!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This is what the US said that scared Pakistan

what do ya wanna make those eyes at me for
if they don't mean what they say
they make me glad, they make me sad
they make me want a lot of things that i never had

you're fooling around with me now
well you lead me on and then you run away
well that's all right, i'll get you alone some night
and baby you'll find, you're messing with dynamite
so what do ya wanna make those eyes at me for

what do ya wanna make those eyes at me for
they make me glad, they make me sad
they make me want a lot of things that i never had

you're fooling around with me now
well you lead me on and then you run away
well that's all right, i'll get you alone some night
and baby you'll find, you're messing with dynamite
so what do ya wanna make those eyes at me for

if they don't mean what they say.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
aakhir machhar phir se chappal ke neeche aa gaya!

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
So, money and military toys are required to keep Pakistan afloat.

Where has all the big talk gone?

How many days did it take for Pakistan to squeal for mercy?

What a country and a half!
As predicted by many of us with in two weeks, Pakistan will go back to business as usual.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
aakhir machhar phir se chappal ke neeche aa gaya!
You mean the SUPER GIANT MACCAHR WITH NUKES ON ITS BACK HAS SHRUNK TO FIT UNDER THE CHAPPAL. I am looking to wards a day when this macchar is wiped out of the world map.

Illusive

Country flag
Do they have any other choice:laugh:, its a question about their survival.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
At one point, I did develop a tiny shred of respect for Pakistan, for standing up to something. Looks like its lips can't stay dry for too long.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Pakistani leaders employ US security as bodyguards. What you expect?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It really must be frustrating for the Miliatary political leaders to keep calling China their taller than mountain and deeper than ocean friend but not get a single penny from them like the US does. Pakistanis cant lose the US much as they would like as China does not give them freebies.

Tianshan

It really must be frustrating for the Miliatary political leaders to keep calling China their taller than mountain and deeper than ocean friend but not get a single penny from them like the US does. Pakistanis cant lose the US much as they would like as China does not give them freebies.
we don't give anyone billions in annual free aid payments like usa does. we are still a developing nation.

we pay less, yet we get more from pakistan. they even offered us a naval base at gwadar, which we turned down.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
we don't give anyone billions in annual free aid payments like usa does. we are still a developing nation.

we pay less, yet we get more from pakistan. they even offered us a naval base at gwadar, which we turned down.
How lucky are you then!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese are very money wise!

They won't part even with a farthing unless there is something tangible obtainable from the deal.

Brig Yusuf had written about how pernickety the Chinese were when they gave arms and ammunition for the Mujahideens in Afghanistan.

Yusuf was an ISI man.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

In that case you have good diplomats helped by geopolitical circumstances.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
we don't give anyone billions in annual free aid payments like USA does. We are still a developing nation.

we pay less, yet we get more from Pakistan. they even offered us a naval base at gwadar, which we turned down.
Don't tell that to your pakistani brothers, let them live under false illusion. We like it that way.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles