Pakistan source of explosives

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by W.G.Ewald, Oct 4, 2011.

1. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Majority of IEDs are traced to Pakistan – USATODAY.com

(Perhaps I have posted this in the wrong forum.)

3. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Nothing surprising but what baffles me is even with evidence against Pakistan why US is paying an "ally" that is actively plotting against its interests, perhaps they don't have a choice(supply lines for Afghanistan).

This money would be used to by even more explosives I think, if US thinks common Pakistanis don't hate it, then it hasn't learnt much in 10 years.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  4. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

i think its really a question of geo-strategic considerations and no more.

US does see the pakistani utility in the long run in a region which has china, india, a'stan, energy rich CAR/ME in its vicinity.

as far as i can see, americans are seeing mid to long term and they will be anyways out of this region so why buy an enemy in the long run. once americans drastically scale down their ops in a'stan and stop the drone attacks in pakistan it wont take long for the pakistani establishment to change the narrative towards the US from one being anti to not so anti.

just look at how the rhetoric between the two has dramatically scaled down, and americans are more putting the blame on mullen and one of the mullen's parting shot included the need of addressing the kashmir issue, the long standing demand of the pakistanis.

americans are clever enough to play all sides!

ejazr likes this.
  5. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Agree with you on that thakur_ritesh,

I wouldn't be surprised if the recent catching of a senior Haqqani leader was done with covert help from the ISI. (NATO captures top Haqqani network elder)

The rhetoric has started coming down dramatically since then. The PA/ISI has basically said look, we can deliver you the Haqqanis and safeguard your interests, and here is a token gesture as well. The US wants to scale down with some sort of guaranteed presence or military bases in Afghanistan and if the PA/ISI (i.e. the Haqqanis) can guarantee that, then they will take it.

Here is what Hillary Clinton had to say on a Q&A session about Pakistan, very instructive and disappointment for those who think US-Pakistan relations have finished.

6. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

a nation which see 10-12 hours of power cut daily(both for business and people) and neighbor afghanistan + got itself radicalized to limits, have no other option so feasible than making death toys.

7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

There was no electricity in lahore last night people have come to roads and ransacked govt property clash with police. Guess what, still no electricity lollllllllllllllllllll

after karachi, lahore also has no electricity:laugh::laugh::laugh::pound::pound::pound:

8. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Ejazr,

There is another aspect worth considering.

With a battered economy, will the Obama administration go to the American public to seek votes with military operations in Pakistan which could involve bombers bombing and foots on ground which if it goes wrong could further dampen their prospects, which then will be projected as an unnecessary burden on the economy and a crucial ally in a very sensitive location lost, another failure on the foreign policy front and more ammo for the republicans.

From where I see, republicans will be pushing for military operations in Pakistan but would the democrats be as forth coming, I seriously doubt.

After what happened in a’stan in the last one month, Obama administration had to do a public point scoring and not be seen as one which will take things lying down and I think the objective is met. The high voltage rhetoric heavily conditioned the aid, which becomes a good scoring and selling point with the public, the ally in WoT is not lost, PA/ISI which were till recent past taking a beating have re-emerged as national heroes in Pakistan, so it seems it was a win-win for both.

I am sure haqqanis will be asked to take it easy from here on.

ejazr likes this.
  9. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

I think Secretary Clinton should reply to Pakistan that as you said - US equipped and funded Haqqni network in past .
    Now lets US destroy the same network which was funded and eqqipped in past by US .

10. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

btw , Why they need electricity ? too much luxury for them . :D
    They are ready to eat grass for 1000 years . :p
    Let them live with their wish .
    :amen:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  11. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Only country in the world who love history and successfully achieved negative growth path towards stone age and going very fast in history