Pakistan Navy To Get New Submarines from China

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
if pakistani sources are to be beleived then tommorow we will hear pakistan has overtaken usa and china to become the next superpower.

p2prada

All I am trying to say is there are still some more details to say China's sub strength is really that superior to India once 75A delivered...
Can you post the article from ONI, the one you are referring to?

About P-75I and P-75. P-75 is the Scorpene project, we have plans of building 6. The earlier plan was to build 1 every year from 2012 to 2017. But due to delays a second line( or the first line was expanded) was setup and MDL(Mumbai) will supply 2 every year from 2015 to 2018.

Once P-75I is signed, MDL and a new line in a different port(Vizag) will build 4. 2 will be imported from foreign lines. So, that's hopefully 12 new submarines by 2022 or 2023.

Private industry wants to join in, so we may have our own SSK plans by then.

As for nuclear subs, Arihant SSBN is still a TD. The other 3 or 4 being built will be more mature. We don't know if there are plans for SSNs but the Navy is quite keen on having SSNs. Actually IN wanted Arihant to be a SSN rather than a SSBN.

prpsarathy

donot bother much about pakistan. Nuisance for india will china especially with the huge cash reserve for buying anything with dollar. Pakistan is getting screwed by taliban on one side and usa on the others. Offcourse we must keep on eye on the old foe of the country.

LTE-TDD

pakistan if at all is getting nuclear submarine then china will be under tremendous pressure from international community. moreover even if pakistani navy gets nuclear powered submarine then also they will require much time to get pro in it. i dont see any significant development before 2020
That is a strange logic, why India can lease unclear sub, but Pak can't?

LTE-TDD

Another wellknown "rumour" or you gonna back it up with a source this time? I pray it wont be rupee news.
By the way the last one was made in 91. Yah, two decades ago.
India member here are realy fun of rumour.

LTE-TDD

Remember - Chinese never give anything for free (they may give it cheap but not without profits)!!

It's Europeans and Americans who have the habit of spoiling terror and beggar states with free lunches. Kindly, understand the Chinese/Han psych first (they are worst than marwari baniyas when it comes to making 'peesoo') and you will realize that - even for their own benefit they will charge and suck failed state pakistan dry of any zakkat/alms pathetic pakistanis receive from the west or oily Arabs.

P.S: Chinese will be paid with the dollar alms/aid and blood money which shameless pakistanis receive from their sustainers and masters!

tell me which country will give you somethong for free? your beloved Ruissan friend do give you something 'free', but are you happy?

agentperry

That is a strange logic, why India can lease unclear sub, but Pak can't?
because of break up of pakistan with the west and growing isolation.
canadian newspaper was very straight in pointing out that why canada should grant aid to a nation who is actively funding and supporting bunch of people who then targets canadian foot soldiers in afghanistan.
us and pakistan chapter we know.
and also nato which is again west as a whole is suffering to much because of supply suspension.

a known nuclear proliferator of nuclear tech and supporter of regimes like north korea and iran wont get any support in international arena.

moreover is china actually thinking of giving nuclear submarine to pakistan? i think there is a limit to generosity among chinese policy makers too. they wont be giving pakistan anything and everything keeping in mind that there exist a radicalized section in pakistan who dont like chinese strictness over its muslim region. few chinese were kidnapped and killed too in past and not to forget the open warning issued by al qaeda to china to treat well chinese muslims etc etc.

charlyondfi

Can you post the article from ONI, the one you are referring to?
About P-75I and P-75. P-75 is the Scorpene project, we have plans of building 6. The earlier plan was to build 1 every year from 2012 to 2017. But due to delays a second line( or the first line was expanded) was setup and MDL(Mumbai) will supply 2 every year from 2015 to 2018.
Once P-75I is signed, MDL and a new line in a different port(Vizag) will build 4. 2 will be imported from foreign lines. So, that's hopefully 12 new submarines by 2022 or 2023.
Private industry wants to join in, so we may have our own SSK plans by then.
As for nuclear subs, Arihant SSBN is still a TD. The other 3 or 4 being built will be more mature. We don't know if there are plans for SSNs but the Navy is quite keen on having SSNs. Actually IN wanted Arihant to be a SSN rather than a SSBN.
There you go: http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/oni/pla-navy.pdf (looks out quite huge file)

And the chart I mentioned:

Three points to add:
1. as you can see, even China is making quite impressive progress in quietness/stealth of their sub, especially in diesel part (SSK), ONI still regard its latest SSBN (094, Jin class) and SSN (093) interior to Russia 1970/80 design of Victory III and Delta III. Its 095 (SSN, 2015[?]) still lag behind Akula I (SSN, not SSBN).
2. according to ONI, Yuan and even Song class, in quietness, have already outperformed the Kilo 877, the ones China acquired as chart indicated. I yet compare the difference from India's 877, the Sindhughosh. Considering Singdhughosh are inducted much earlier, 1986~2000, and that I believe PLAN will also soon catch up (imitate) with the Kilo 636 they start inducting since 1998. That's why I agreed your comments in general.
3. this is a repeat: I do NOT know why ONI only compare the quietness, perhaps for budgeting reason. I want to highlight that sensor, combat system, and torpedo are all critical to a successful submarine warfare & strength. A good example is Song scores better than Kilo 877 in the paper, but I hardly believe it can beat 877 in real battle. I could be wrong but my point is it's still a mystery about the real capability of PLAN "fleet of silence"

Last edited:
Country flag
Submarines on average take 2 years to build and some Boomers can take upto 4-5 years. Taking 2 years as the bare minimum it would take 12 years to deliver these subs. By that time they may become outdated since these subs are based on 1967 Russian Victor sub designs and have more or less same functionality.

charlyondfi

My friends or moderator, can someone tell me why I kept failing to attach the graph/chart via Image Shack? I did copy & paste the URL link.
Thanks in advance.

Country flag
My friends or moderator, can someone tell me why I kept failing to attach the graph/chart via Image Shack? I did copy & paste the URL link.
Thanks in advance.
place the URL on the third button from the right in the image tab.

charlyondfi

Song is too old, I'll say. No way Pakistan will be fond of.
Song got a good grading in US office of naval intelligence, even better than Kilo87, but I hardly believe it had close-to-even combat system, unless it has got good improvement in sonar.
Yuan class should be the one worth Pakistan thought, even at cost concern

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Song is too old, I'll say. No way Pakistan will be fond of.
Song got a good grading in US office of naval intelligence, even better than Kilo87, but I hardly believe it had close-to-even combat system, unless it has got good improvement in sonar.
Yuan class should be the one worth Pakistan thought, even at cost concern
US Naval intel doesn't think any Chinese subs are better than Kilos. With the increased patrols they finally got good acoustic signatures on all their boats and all are obsolete. Pakistan won't like that too much when they want Euro subs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles