Pakistan Military Can't Afford Modernisation

Damian

US has already decided to scrap the MRAPs deployed in Astan. I wonder if Indian govt can buy them ?
No no, not scrap them. Some of them will be kept by US forces, and stored somewhere in US so if needed they can be reused. Other ones can be bought by everyone who wish to do so. Definetly India can buy them, if India would pay enough I'am sure that US manufacturers can refurbish them to 0 hours 0 miles condition and upgrade them with Indian specifications.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Over the past five years the U.S. military has fielded over 20,000 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles at a US$45 million investment, representing about 7 percent of the Army's vehicle inventory, providing protected transport to support combat operations, primarily in Iraq. The vehicles fielded in Iraq being heavy and restricted to road mobility, needed extensive modifications before they could deploy to Afghanistan.

With missions in Iraq completed and Afghanistan drawing down, the Army hasn't decided what to do with these monsters, available in many variants, from the massive Cougar to the all-terrain vehicle M-ATV, some are torn out by years of harsh service, others brand new, as they haven't travelled a mile yet. Others will be mothballed or used for training purposes. While most vehicles have left Iraq already, the Army plans to scrap some of the vehicles, and could leave behind about 60 percent of the 21,000 MRAPs, to be stored in prepositioned stockpiles prepared for future contingency or sold to local military forces. Since most MRAP configurations are too high for storage at sea, the vehicles are likely to remain on land in prepositioned unit bases, somewhere in Soutwest Asia. Some of the MRAPs that will reach the US will be mothballed at the Army depots in the California high Sierra or sold for scrap.

About 30 percent of these vehicles (up to 6,000 but most likely much less) will be heading home, to join the brigade combat teams route clearance missions and transportation units, providing protected transport for troop and supplies transport in high threat areas. To maintain driver and crew proficiency, about 2,000 of the vehicles will be sent to training bases in the continental US for training.Part of the Army's hesitance of maintaining the MRAP is the lack of funding for through-life support. In the past five years the Pentagon procured about 26,000 MRAPs vehicles through the war supplemental budget that has dried out in recent years. With the Afghanistan drawdown effectively completed by the middle of the decade, the Army will have to find the resources to support the MRAP in its annual operations and sustainment budget, and obviously, in these hard times, MRAP support would be the last priority for the Army.

Nevertheless, since some MRAPs will be maintained in service for at least 10 years, the remaining fleet will undergo reset and sustainment process at Army depots such as the Red River Depot, Texas, and Letterkenny Depot, Pa., Part of this process is aimed at bringing most MRAPs into a common configuration to enable more efficient training and support, partly through the cannibalization of existing vehicles.

Part of the motivation of the services maintenance of MRAP for the near term is the continued development of the Joint Tactical Light Vehicle (JLTV) currently underway. The JLTV is scheduled to become operational in 2016 and is expected to be available in critical masses toward the end of the decade, introducing HMMWV level mobility and MRAP-level protection to brigade combat teams. The Army and Marine Corps plan to acquire as many as 50,000 JLTVs by 2035.

- defense update

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am not able to find the item, where I read that US is finding it very expensive to store them or ship them, and would prefer selling them. but the above item is newer and more uptodate. India can and should certainly buy these beasts.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
Puki cant afford Modernisation just because they messed up their "US AID BUS" in exchange for life of some 20 odd puki's, that they dont regard valuable anyhow.

We know what puki need money and if the issue is out in media then they call it BLOOD MONEY they dont care for life :(

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I am mesmerized with the ignorance of ajtr on all threads. But she still lingers around with so much passion.

Anyway, coming to the discussion ajtr started I thought of sharing the Berlin airlift example. The US and UK supplied all essentials into West Berlin for almost a year when Soviets blocked West Berlin.

The Berlin Blockade (24 June 1948 – 12 May 1949) was one of the first major international crises of the Cold War. During the multinational occupation of post–World War II Germany, the Soviet Union blocked the Western Allies' railway, road and canal access to the sectors of Berlin under Allied control. Their aim was to force the western powers to allow the Soviet zone to start supplying Berlin with food and fuel, thereby giving the Soviets practical control over the entire city.

In response, the Western Allies organized the Berlin Airlift to carry supplies to the people in West Berlin.[1][2] The recently independent United States Air Force and the United Kingdom's Royal Air Force flew over 200,000 flights in one year, providing up to 4700 tons of daily necessities such as fuel and food to the Berliners.[3] Alongside US and British personnel, the airlift involved aircrews from the Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force, and South African Air Force[4]:338.

By the spring of 1949, the effort was clearly succeeding and, by April, the airlift was delivering more cargo than had previously been transported into the city by rail. The success of the Berlin Airlift brought embarrassment to the Soviets who had refused to believe it could make a difference. The blockade was lifted in May 1949 and resulted in the creation of two separate German states.[3] The Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) split up Berlin.[3] In remembrance of the airlift, three airports in the former western zones of the city served as the primary gateways to Germany for another fifty years.
The entire article: Berlin Blockade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although, this is not exactly the same as lifting back the military equipment but it shows anything is achievable. I think the Berlin airlift is a much bigger deal than any military withdrawal in the near future and US is capable to achieve it comfortably.

As far as using the Pak route is concerned, it is always a cost-benefit analysis. Right now it is cheap to arm-twist Pak and get the supplies into Afghanistan. Once it becomes expensive, other options would become relatively cheaper and hence viable.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ we have a few South African ones ? I don't think its about being better, but we can get them cheap and we have different sizes to choose from and they have acceptable security protection. Can be used in insurgencies/riot areas by paramilitary too.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ we have a few South African ones ? I don't think its about being better, but we can get them cheap and we have different sizes to choose from and they have acceptable security protection. Can be used in insurgencies/riot areas by paramilitary too.
South african were very old, There preform-ace is not good as OFB ones..

Mahindra MPV which are operational now can take in 21kg RDX, US ones cannot..

Also spares are made in country..

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
South african were very old, There preform-ace is not good as OFB ones..

Mahindra MPV which are operational now can take in 21kg RDX, US ones cannot..

Also spares are made in country..
wiki says 21kg tnt

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ from my googling 1 kg of RDX is 1.6 Kg TNT equivalent. RDX's configuration also matters and what if its a shape charged bomb ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ from my googling 1 kg of RDX is 1.6 Kg TNT equivalent. RDX's configuration also matters and what if its a shape charged bomb ?
If shaped charged, It will penetrate inside thin armored vehicles..

agentperry

USA cant leave Afghanistan without Pakistan opening up those logistics lines.USA can only fly Out its soilders out of Afghanistan at huge cost but then it has to leave all those heavy weapons like artillery guns,tanks,APCs etc in afghanistan which are more than enough to arm pakistan army for 3-4 decades.It is usa which got trapped into the monkey trap of afghanistan just as soviets did.Only Pakistan can save usa in afghanistan now.
central asia is place which allow USA to move out peacefully though in a costly manner. regarding pakistan army fetching usa weapons in afghanistan- do you still consider afghanistan a backyard of pakistan. getting artillery from somewhere near kabul is like invading afghansitan. sorry dude the other factor to deter pakistan militia(army buys or make weapon and not feed themselves on leftover like scavengers) is usa capability to destroy the weapons they cant carry just the way pakistan's grand ambition of getting something(to feed fully empty tummy) at airbase(cia launchpad) were torpedoed by americans themselves. what pakistan got there- ashes

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
No no, not scrap them. Some of them will be kept by US forces, and stored somewhere in US so if needed they can be reused. Other ones can be bought by everyone who wish to do so. Definetly India can buy them, if India would pay enough I'am sure that US manufacturers can refurbish them to 0 hours 0 miles condition and upgrade them with Indian specifications.
Indians will buy those if sold as scrap so that those could be melted in furnaces and foundries. Why not?

agentperry

usa cant do iraq or afghanistan in pakistan.Pakistans nukes have deterred usa successfully.
how are you going to drop your nukes over usa? its too far and pakistan neither have long range bomber that can intrude into us airspace nor stealthy icbms. nukes can only be dropped over americna bases in other countries and that will make pak go to war agaisnt 2 not one(usa)

agentperry

usa or forgiving to pakistan...lol..Pakistan has usa by scruff of it neck now.Its the usa which is unable to anything to pakistan so its just going mad and kicking up dust in afghanistan.usa has run out of all cards in order to force pakistan.
checkpost attack??? and still apology from pak.

agentperry

Even then its cheapest and shortest route thats why usa is so desperate to open it with drawdown date coming close.USA and Nato countries cant afford costly NDN in this time of economic downturn.
you still talking like bargaining salesman. why you worried about the finances of nato- they still got huge budget

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
USA cant leave Afghanistan without Pakistan opening up those logistics lines.USA can only fly Out its soilders out of Afghanistan at huge cost but then it has to leave all those heavy weapons like artillery guns,tanks,APCs etc in Afghanistan which are more than enough to arm pakistan army for 3-4 decades.It is usa which got trapped into the monkey trap of Afghanistan just as soviets did.Only Pakistan can save USA in afghanistan now.
A good dream. Makes Pakistanies feel Good. So Pakistanies are eyeing all artillery pieces and tanks and vehicles in Afghanistan. If I were an American I would invade Pakistan using that equipment rather than gift it away to double crosser ant American Pakistanies.

If I were Indian, I would bid for that equipment inside Afghanistan and arm the Afghanistan Army with those guns.

agentperry

usa piggybacked on the success of afghanistani and pakistani mujahideens to claim success.real efforts were those of mujahideens.
yes it was super rich pakistanis who financed mujahids and bought them thousands of stingers and milans. if pakistan was so rich why it even opened charity for displaced afghans- didnt had money for afghans food pakistan is claiming for financing entire war against mighty soviets with infinite resources

agentperry

Its always the men who win the war not the weapons.
slight modification- wars are fought by weapons and won by men- when you dont have weapons you cant fight leave aside winning

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles