Pakistan has shifted forces from Indian border: US general

Discussion in 'West Asia & Africa' started by LETHALFORCE, Jun 13, 2009.

1. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Pakistan has shifted forces from Indian border: US general- Hindustan Times

Pakistan has shifted forces from Indian border: US general

Pakistan has shifted forces from the Indian border to the west as it now sees very clearly the existential threat posed to their country by the extremists, said a top US general.
    "In Pakistan, there is no question I think at this point that the Pakistanis see very clearly the existential threat that is posed to their country by the extremists," General David Petraeus, Commander of the United States Central Command, said on Friday.

Taking note of the problems caused in particular by the Pakistani Taliban in the northwest frontier province, the Pakistani military has responded very strongly in Swat, Lower Dir, Buner and some other districts of the northwest frontier province, he said.

There have also been operations in the federally administered tribal areas, in Bajaur and Mohmand, Petraeus said in a speech to the Centre of a New American Security.

"There have been shifts, as they have announced, of forces from India to the west and in some cases, those are very important shifts that have taken place."

"And the reason I mention this is because it reflects their assessment of this threat and everyone has always said, gosh, don't they see that this is a threat to their very existence?" the general said.

"The answer is 'yes.' And they are showing that by the deployments and employment of their forces, the actions they're taking."

Petraeus, however, warned that military missions against terrorist groups are comprehensive and require more than force, saying "Countering terrorism requires more than counter-terrorist operations."

The General went on to discuss the implications of shifting military attention from Iraq to Afghanistan and Pakistan and how the US' experience in Iraq should optimise the efficiency of military operations in other countries.

"As we turn and shift our focus to Afghanistan and Pakistan it is very important to reflect on what we learned from Iraq and to remember that you have to apply what was learned there with a very nuanced understanding...of local circumstances," said Petraeus.

"The overriding mission of a military force in counterinsurgency has to be to secure the people and...be seen as securing and serving them. This is hugely important," he said.

Petraeus explained that once security has been established throughout the country, the US would not be able to leave Afghanistan.

3. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

Pakistan's leaders get it at last - Brantford Expositor - Ontario, CA

4. LETHALFORCE

this may all be for show since us passed bill tripling their aid yesterday.

5. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

AFP: Pakistan vows to fight Taliban 'until the end'

6. MMuthu

MMuthu Regular Member

Ha ha ha.... I dont think the Taliban's can be crushed by PA. Still I cannot believe that they are determined to finish Taliban.

Either Pakistan Army is staging a Fake war or For getting aid pakistan is killing civilians and telling that they are Terrorists.

If Pakistan stage a fake war then america will understand on one fine day, If pakistan is really fighting the terrorists, then I hope they are digging a grave for themselves because there is no end for Taliban, the taliban will live till there are non-tolerent muslims in this world.

7. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

In the Pakistani establishment's point of view the only threat is India and India alone.Nothing can be done or said that will change that.
    In their narrow mindedness they'll always believe that India is ready to attack them 24x7 and that leaving their position in the eastern border will result in an Indian invasion.
    If pointed out that India has never started a war with them they'll argue it furiously.
    When the Taliban problem is taken care of they'll be back in their old positions armed with a few new weapons and the Pak government richer by a few billion, continuing their provocative policies and supporting the Kashmir terrorist movement.

8. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Taliban does not have heavy weapons to counter PA or the US. I doubt they will last a full fledged thrust. But, the Taliban will utilize the only defence available. Human Shields.

9. LETHALFORCE

taliban don't need heavy weaponry they are fighting a guerilla war,which may seem primitive but it defeated the russians and probably will defeat the pakistanis too, they are well funded thru the heroin trade, this is just temporary until taliban starts striking pakistan then the pakistanis will do what they do best retreat.

10. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Heavy Machine Guns and Anti-tank weapons are what I meant. Along with MANPADS. Pretty deadly.

We still have to see how committed the PA is? Defeating Taliban will take commitment and integrity among PA's troopers and commanders.

11. SinghIsKing

SinghIsKing Guest

pakistanis can't handle rag-tag militants. How are they going handle heavy mechanised Indian advances. Yea i know Nukes but that has its own fallout effects. Which prohibites them from reclaiming that area due to radiation. They just can't handle India anymore in full fledge conflict. LOL

12. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

How much do you guys wanna bet that US is making sure world and SPECIFICALLY, India knows that Pakistan is taking steps like these so we go back to the so called "talks over Kashmir", forgetting recent Mumbai attacks while we're at it?

I mean the Congress is so pathetic that we are already hearing rumors of India starting talks again.

13. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

the rule being followed is very simple, and that is to put pressure on india to move back from the stand it took post 26/11. india moved its troops to the border areas, activated its airforce to hit the terror infrastructure in pok and pak punjab and all these things do not go down well in the books of the us which is pursuing its interests in afpak region where they are pressing upon pak army to get in more forces a reply to which is that they can do that only when india moves back its forces and in this whole situation india is being pressed upon to follow what eventually is being planned by the pakistanis. not only this, our pm is to meet zardari in russia which is more or less confirmed. india quite clearly seems to be playing into the hands of pakistanis yet again and post “parakram” this looks like another embarrassment heading our way at the hands of pakistanis. it will be a shame if we move our troops back but then anything is expected from our politicians and with the way the things are being said in the media i wont be surprised india will start the composite dialog with pakistan in another 2 months from now and move are troops back to pre 26/11 positions and let pakistan have the much needed diplomatic space they are craving for. dont be surprised if this is what must have been pressed upon by obama's all too famous secret letter to the pm. the least one can expect is india holds on to its stand till at least those terrorists in pakistan are hanged to death who dared to do a 26/11 on us but then i am being too hopeful of people who are just too ready to do any thing for the americans at the moment. let the end of the story be scripted but i guess we all know the end all too well just like our hindi movies, oh so dramatic!

14. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Is it not interesting to note that with the US pressuring India to open dialogue with Pakistan, the secessionists in Kashmir have increased their clamour to get the security forces out of Kashmir?

So who is driving the agenda?

15. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

They are piggybacking on the US pressure to try and get their way...

I'm certain that the troops will be decreased in other forward areas to a minor extent but the troops in the valley will remain the same to a large extent... also, their police force might be modernised to take over slightly some duties that are currently being performed by the Army...

16. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

TR:
    India's official line is that we didnot increase troops, so decreasing the troops is out of question.......