Pakistan expected to climb from 47th to 27th place in 2018

Zarvin

Pakistan is expected to have second highest increase in research output ranking in the world, increasing from its current position of 43 to 27 in 2018. An encouraging news for higher education sector in Pakistan, the ranking is announced by the Scopus, world's largest abstract, citation database of research literature and analytical tool similar to Web of Science (Impact Factor).

The Scopus initiated a forecasting exercise on predicting in April 2011 under the topic, "How World Scientific Output will be in 2018". According to the results of this mega exercise based on the research output from 2003-2010, Pakistan is expected to have the second highest increase in research output ranking in the world.

Commenting on this development, HEC Executive Director Professor Dr. Sohail H. Naqvi said this ranking recognises the tremendous growth in research in higher education sector of Pakistan over the past ten years and it also predicts the a bright future for research in Pakistan." The HEC has accomplished more in nine years since its establishment than was achieved in the first 55 years of Pakistan's existence. Recently, six Pakistani universities have been ranked among the top 300 Asian universities.

Research output has grown eight-folds since 2002 (from 815 in 2002 to 6,200 in 2011). Around 80 per cent of these research publications from Pakistan are coming from higher education institutions. Output has more than doubled just in the last 3 years and is expected to double again in the next 3 years.

More than 5,000 Pakistani scholars have been facilitated to present their research work in leading conferences of the world. The HEC Video Conference Network is established in all public sector universities by covering 31 cities. The network is recognised one of the mega interactive network by having total 79 purpose built e-classroom based videoconference set-up.

Access to 140 plus free software provided to over 1 million students in higher education sector and there has been more than 80,000 downloads from 68 universities during 2011-12. During 2011-12, a total of 447 accredited lectures/ lecture series have been conducted by both Local and Foreign Speakers under the Virtual Education Programme, totalling to 1,043 lectures since commencement of programme.

The academic circles have termed the Scopus ranking as great success and honour for the county in particular and higher education sector in general. They believe that if the continuous support may be given to this sector and the faculty continues their work with same zeal and vigour, Pakistani higher education sector can win more laurels for the country.

Pakistan expected to climb from 47th to 27th place in 2018 - thenews.com.pk

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Heh, today was a bad day for you to post this thread about Pakistani "research output". :heh: This is a separate post which I made earlier today:

While we're on the topic of pseudoscience in the land of the pure, here is something I read about a few months back, not sure if it was posted here:

How to spot the crackpot — pseudoscience in Pakistan – The Express Tribune

A recent physics thesis, which resulted in the award of a PhD degree by the University of Balochistan, has stirred some controversy. Guided by a "HEC meritorious professor", and with publications paid for by the HEC, it was entitled "A quantitative study on chromotherapy". Several notable Pakistani physicists, who actually know their subject, said the thesis was nonsensical. But after months of trying they still failed to convince the HEC. As a last-ditch effort, I sent a copy to physics Nobel Prize winner (1979), Steven Weinberg, and another to the physics Nobel Prize winner (1988), Jack Steinberger.

Weinberg wrote a point by point criticism which ended up saying: "I am appalled by what I have seen. The thesis shows a lack of understanding of the fundamentals of physics. This thesis is not only unworthy of a PhD, it is positively dangerous, since it might lead patients with severe illnesses to rely on 'chromotherapy' rather than on scientific medicine. I find it difficult to understand how this thesis could have earned its author any academic degree".
Steinberger was equally shocked: "A reasonable physics department should not have accepted anything like this work"¦. Following world news this past decade, I have been very unhappy about the Pakistani political instability and social problems, but I had imagined that its cultural level was better than what I now see."
Here is the actual thesis, in case any of you want to bang your heads against the wall: http://prr.hec.gov.pk/Thesis/373S.pdf

Here is an extract from the thesis:

DEDICATED TO
KHAWAJA SHAMSUDDIN AZEEMI,
Spiritual Scholar and author of 35 books on Metaphysics including Colour Therapy, Parapsychology, Qalander Consciousness and 'Art & Science of Sufi Meditation', presented in scientific manner encouraged me to explore the realms of Light and Colour..
We conjecture that color is a quantum state of matter. There are other quantum states such as charm, beauty, flavor, tenderness, etc. These quantum states are linked with each other via 'glueons' and form intermediatory energy fields known as 'quarks'. Quarks, if condensed, produce bosons, a fifth state of matter.
You realize you are part of the hologram of life, surrounded by an aura or energy field that radiates distinct colour and vibrations. The aura fingertips your soul and reflects your goodness, wellness, mental stability, maturity, emotional/inner turmoil or peaceful fulfillment. More of each of these qualities, peace, wellness, stability, maturity and fulfillment may become your ever present precious possession by the application of colour's power in our daily living
By using clay, a clay pot is repaired and piece of cloth mends a doll made of cloth, the plastic is used to repair the articles of plasic, then why light and colours cannot be used for the human health care which is the origin of man's creation. The holy scriptures say that existence of man is based upon various types of lights and colours. Then why a human being cannot be treated with colours?

Why indeed?

Let us remember that this is a physics PhD thesis, and not a religious discourse. Amazing, what?

Zarvin

@Bangelorean

So one guy makes a low quality research paper and that means they're all low quality? Remember it was Pakistanis that first questioned his authenticity.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Zarvin,

Can you post that prediction by scopus??. Can you post the original source. I tend to disbelieve pakistani sources.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
@Bangelorean

So one guy makes a low quality research paper and that means they're all low quality? Remember it was Pakistanis that first questioned his authenticity.
Well, maybe not everyone in Pakistan comes up with such junk. But considering that I made that post this very day, when you wrote about Pakistani research papers, this certainly deserved a mention. :D

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
@Bangelorean

And I will also concede that Pakistanis were the ones who questioned the authenticity of that latest hoaxer - the water-car wallah.

Now it would be good if some Pakistanis questioned the authenticity of that pindigeneously developed helicopter that we heard about last year. :D

Zarvin

@Bangoloeran

I can guarantee to you that no one with an ounce of intelligence is taking the water car joke as serious. Just go to any Pakistani forum.

@Daredevil

I will check it our when I get the chance.

agentperry

@Bangoloeran

I can guarantee to you that no one with an ounce of intelligence is taking the water car joke as serious. Just go to any Pakistani forum.

@Daredevil

well pakistan is known for much research in social sciences than physical science and it is evident from the no of researches and phds in ssc sector than phy sc sector. the recent surge in phy sc is though heartening for pakistanis but this nascent stage should be checked so that only a certain good quality research emerges out. as we have seen in a rejected research where a person is mingling religion into the phy sc( you might be knowing the opposite nature of both) then such things will only bring insult and humiliation.

i hope the ultra strong influence of religion be it any donot destroy the sanctity of pure phy science in pakistan

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think Pakistan's research is a joke.

Any high quality research out put is measure by the number of research papers you publish in respected journals and how many other research papers in that particular filed cite that research paper. A high quality paper usually gets high citations form other papers published in various journals. I had a look at a research paper on "research out put of Pakistan" which did similar research using Scopus database.

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/13917/1/ALIS 59(1) 25-38.pdf

According to research paper, Pakistan produced 61 high-impact research papers in 10 years (2001-2010) and of these 49 are due to foreign collaboration. And of these 49 papers, only in 8 papers are Pakistani researchers and in the remaining ones they are side researchers. So, out of 61 papers, only 20 are actually produced by Pakistani research. So, basically Pakistan is publishing only 2 high quality papers in an year in quality journals.

And here we have an article which says that Pakistan will move from 47th rank to 27th rank in research out put. Its pure bollocks. Gimme a break.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is this news of PAKISTAN from the MAD magazine?

Predator

@Bangelorean

So one guy makes a low quality research paper and that means they're all low quality?
Even your top scientists are funny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Bashiruddin_Mahmood

Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood is a Pakistani nuclear engineer and Islamic-scholar. A controversial figure, Bashiruddin Mahmood is widely popular in Pakistan's scientific and religious circles for his scientific interpretation and its relation to Quran. Mahmood, as an engineer, is an experienced atomic scientist and engineer who is known to largely contributed in the formative years of Pakistan's Nuclear Industry (PNI).

Mahmood has published papers concerning djinni, which are described in the Qur'an as beings made of fire. He has proposed that djinni could be tapped to solve the energy crisis. I think that if we develop our souls, we can develop communication with them, Mr. Bashiruddin Mahmood said about djinni in The Wall Street Journal in an interview in 1988.

The New York Times has described Mahmood as "an autodidact intellectual with grand aspirations," and noted that "his colleagues began to wonder if Mahmood was mentally sound."

ani82v

Country flag

Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood is a Pakistani nuclear engineer and Islamic-scholar. A controversial figure, Bashiruddin Mahmood is widely popular in Pakistan's scientific and religious circles for his scientific interpretation and its relation to Quran. Mahmood, as an engineer, is an experienced atomic scientist and engineer who is known to largely contributed in the formative years of Pakistan's Nuclear Industry (PNI).

Mahmood has published papers concerning djinni, which are described in the Qur'an as beings made of fire. He has proposed that djinni could be tapped to solve the energy crisis. I think that if we develop our souls, we can develop communication with them, Mr. Bashiruddin Mahmood said about djinni in The Wall Street Journal in an interview in 1988.

The New York Times has described Mahmood as "an autodidact intellectual with grand aspirations," and noted that "his colleagues began to wonder if Mahmood was mentally sound."
Thats what happen when a guy is scientist and Islamic scholar both at the same time.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Awesome stuff. :clap:

Pakistan needs more Islamic scholar-cum-scientists.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Abbottabad boy makes history by creating 7 operating systems - PakTribune

Abbottabad boy makes history by creating 7 operating systems

ABBOTTABAD: After the late Arfa Karim raised the nation's pride by becoming the world's youngest Microsoft Certified Professional, another Pakistani wonder child has made history after creating seven Microsoft and Google certified computer operating systems in a suburb of Abbottabad.

The 14-year-old student, Sikandar Mehmood Baloch, lives in Bilal Town in Abbottabad. Sikandar not only became a certified expert of 107 computer engineering languages at a young age but has also received certificates of his achievements from Microsoft and performed work for Google.

He has also received 25 certificates as acknowledgement of his unique work performed for Google, the biggest search engine in the world.

Sikandar is studying in the 9th grade in a local school and has made many Linux Systems (From VVS1 to VVS7) and developed an indigenous anti-virus system as well. He created a world record at the age of nine after making his first operating system. He works with many websites and earns over $70 dollars daily.
I tell you, it is so easy to pull the wool over the Paki awam's eyes!! :frusty: I'm telling you, if I had been born in Pakistan, I would have taken the entire country for a ride.

This fellow probably downloaded some Linux distro from the internet and made some silly changes in the startup JPEG image, like putting his own name etc., at the tender age of 9. And along comes the Paki newsman, lapping it up. :sad:

agentperry

I tell you, it is so easy to pull the wool over the Paki awam's eyes!! :frusty: I'm telling you, if I had been born in Pakistan, I would have taken the entire country for a ride.

This fellow probably downloaded some Linux distro from the internet and made some silly changes in the startup JPEG image, like putting his own name etc., at the tender age of 9. And along comes the Paki newsman, lapping it up. :sad:
well if he is getting some certification from then i guess it mean something. moreover microsoft certification too mean something

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
@Bangoloeran

@Daredevil

On Paki forums they are jumping with happiness on the fake water car fake news.

ani82v

Country flag

I know of a college-mate who was obsessed with Robotics.
By the time we entered college, he already knew C++, he learnt assembly language by first year and wrote his own sytenx of programming language in assembly code, developed os kernel in that language, he also learnt soldering. And nothing of this was in his engg course. He also did some R&D on remote controlled motorcycle and jeep for his final year project. Not many knew him then.

Later on he found his own robotics company in Ahmd. Now he gives interviews across India and is a TED fellow.

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
I know of a college-mate who was obsessed with Robotics.
By the time we entered college, he already knew C++, he learnt assembly language by first year and wrote his own sytenx of programming language in assembly code, developed os kernel in that language, he also learnt soldering. And nothing of this was in his engg course. He also did some R&D on remote controlled motorcycle and jeep for his final year project. Not many knew him then.

Later on he found his own robotics company in Ahmd. Now he gives interviews across India and is a TED fellow.
Is the name of the company Gridbots?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles