Pakistan expected to chair IAEA board

Vikramaditya

Country flag
VIENNA: Pakistan is expected to become the next head of the UN nuclear watchdog's governing body despite being outside a global anti-nuclear arms pact and home to a nuclear smuggler who supplied Iran and North Korea, diplomats say.

One Western diplomat said the choice was "not ideal" because, like India, North Korea and Israel, Pakistan has shunned the 1970 Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) that is at the heart of the International Atomic Energy Agency's work.

But Western powers are not expected to oppose the nominee of a group of Middle East and South Asia member states because Pakistan was a longstanding member of the Vienna-based IAEA Board of Governors and the choice would be within its rules.

"People are talking about it but I don't think there will be any uproar," a European diplomat said. "There is no rule saying that an informal nuclear weapons state cannot be chair."

The one-year position rotates between regions, who put forward their own nominee, and entails chairing debates of the IAEA's 35-nation decision-making body and helping them reach consensus decisions. It would not give Pakistan individual powers to decide UN nuclear policy.

In theory, other IAEA member states could reject Pakistan's chairmanship at a board meeting to decide on the issue scheduled for late September but this is very unlikely, diplomats said.

Malaysia currently chairs the board. "They are not the ideal board chairman but at the same time it is not really possible to make an issue of it," the Western diplomat said, suggesting opposition would undermine the traditional selection process.

The diplomat said Pakistan may have been chosen because it was easier to agree on within the regional group than a state from the Middle East.

Iran and Syria, under IAEA investigation over nuclear proliferation suspicions, are also in this group. "There is consensus on Pakistan in our group," an Asian diplomat said, without giving further details.:emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15:

LINK

Vikramaditya

Country flag
What a day has come...:emot15:

World Biggest Nuclear Proliferates will be head of UN nuclear watchdog's governing body and will stop the world from Nuclear non proliferation oops I mean nuclear proliferation.:emot180:

Rebelkid

VIENNA: Pakistan is expected to become the next head of the UN nuclear watchdog's governing body despite being outside a global anti-nuclear arms pact and home to a nuclear smuggler who supplied Iran and North Korea, diplomats say.

One Western diplomat said the choice was "not ideal" because, like India, North Korea and Israel, Pakistan has shunned the 1970 Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) that is at the heart of the International Atomic Energy Agency's work.

But Western powers are not expected to oppose the nominee of a group of Middle East and South Asia member states because Pakistan was a longstanding member of the Vienna-based IAEA Board of Governors and the choice would be within its rules.

"People are talking about it but I don't think there will be any uproar," a European diplomat said. "There is no rule saying that an informal nuclear weapons state cannot be chair."

The one-year position rotates between regions, who put forward their own nominee, and entails chairing debates of the IAEA's 35-nation decision-making body and helping them reach consensus decisions. It would not give Pakistan individual powers to decide UN nuclear policy.

In theory, other IAEA member states could reject Pakistan's chairmanship at a board meeting to decide on the issue scheduled for late September but this is very unlikely, diplomats said.

Malaysia currently chairs the board. "They are not the ideal board chairman but at the same time it is not really possible to make an issue of it," the Western diplomat said, suggesting opposition would undermine the traditional selection process.

The diplomat said Pakistan may have been chosen because it was easier to agree on within the regional group than a state from the Middle East.

Iran and Syria, under IAEA investigation over nuclear proliferation suspicions, are also in this group. "There is consensus on Pakistan in our group," an Asian diplomat said, without giving further details.:emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15:

LINK
Humanity is doomed.....lol

on a serious note... I really feel something wrong here

Rage

DFI TEAM
Chairmanship of the IAEA board routinely rotates between different geographical areas. Last 6 months, the Chair has been held by an envoy, Muhammad Ikraam Yaakob, from Malaysia- a country with no nuclear experience whatsoever.

But this is horrendous! A nuclear weapons proliferator cannot be held to be the Chair of the IAEA. That undermines the organization entirely, not to mention completely defeats the sanity of the non-proliferation regime.

I hope the foreign office is listening, and get their act together at the board meeting scheduled for late September. But to put up a nominee from Asia, would mean that other countries in South Asia- including India, would have had to agree upon a nominee from Pakistan in the first place- which completely defeats me!

Another reason could be that it might have been easier to agree upon Pakistan as more 'representative' of the Mid East and South Asia- given that these two regions were up for the running. A country from the Middle East might have been good for us, but would have been a nightmare for the West. Expect the U.S. not to get too vociferous over the choosing of this, their most pliant weapons state.

mayfair

Talk about getting a wolf to guard a flock of sheep..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well we know they proliferate but we have to be diplomatic too. Pakistan presents itself as a responsible nuclear power. Now don't we have criminal law breakers as lawmakers in our country?? Hypocrisy is all over the world.
Wonder what pak will do as IAEA head?? Give latest chinese designs to iran when they actually go to inspect??

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Next term has been reserved for north korea.

What a joke this has become!

Phenom

LOL,

If you ever needed evidence about the Failure of international system, then here is one. I remember last year Sudan was appointed the member of IHRC, now Pakistan appointed in IAEA. UN needs to do some serious soul searching if it wants to aviod the same fate as the League of Nations.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
UN is nothing more than expanded version of league of nations...it doesn't have any power.

It is a plaything for usa and other veto powers.

Only its humanitarian organizations have credibility and are useful.

Neil

Country flag
if there is a middle eastern country available...i would go for either israel or even saudi arabia but please spare IAEA of pakistan.....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles