Pakistan Defence budget analysis

Should India increase its defence budget to 5% GDP ? To crush paki economy?

• yes. This is one way we can punish pakimorons

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • No , we don't have to do it

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

26/11

Country flag
You speak very differently from common Pakistanis. The first in my experience to say India was made to interfere in 1971.

Though, regarding instable Afghanistan, from what I have read so far, seems this is what Pakistan desires for fear of encirclement or loss of influence in the region. So they will need to change their strategy with Afghanistan as well if they want to focus on internal challenges.
http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/orde...19-afghan-pakinstan-rapprochement-felbabbrown

Anyway, I also think a stable Pakistan is best for region's development.
It is true for any country except pakistan. Case in point India enjoyed relatively peaceful environment in past as pakis were busy fighting talibans. Not because they wanted peace.
As soon as their relations with Afghan improved and a thin chances of end of taliban problems emerged, they started focusing all their energy to India. Can be seen from heightened separatist issues in kashmir and khalistan issue.
Pakistan will always try to bleed India no matter it is stable or not. And I will prefer unstable Pakistan which has much less capability to bleed India than stable one.

blueblood

Well its one point to look at it but if you look at different side then whenever there is instability in the neighbourhood then it has its impact on the other countries sharing the border. Instability in Afghanistan had its adverse impact on us . Political instability in east Pakistan made you interfere in war when huge bengali people started crossing the border. You were involved in breaking Pakistan in 1971 then what you achieved except hate and now illegal immigration from Bangladesh lol
True but unlike the Indo-Bangla border, Indo-Pak border is fenced, mined and manned by people who are free to shoot any intruder without consequences.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Pakistan is spending according to what suit to their interests and is financially weaker because of internal reasons i.e poor governance and foreign policies. India cannot afford a military adventure with us as long as we are atomic power so there is no chance of full scale conventional war in this region. Pakistan has to concentrate on internal threats and less worry about India.

History tell us that India never initiated a war because of certain conflicts during partition but it was always Pakistan.

Financially weaker Pakistan will never lose anything if war start in this region so it will be india who will lose more if war begin lol
So a Paki accepts the truth on a Indian Forum that It's always Pakis who initiated the war and got bitchslapped by India. :india:

This is a hard FACT for Pakis to swallow but that's the FACT.

But Pak Army always fool their jahil people that India is the aggressor.Pakis always have their facts and priorities wrong and the reason they are in a serious mess.India don't need to wage a war at all since Pakis have waged a war on themselves... 60,000 Pakis butchered so far so why would India need to do something.Just sit and watch.

Pakis SHOULD FORGET KASHMIR if they want to have peace in the region.

avknight1408

Country flag
Come on guys. We are no match for them. Our defence budget increases by $5b every year. Their total defence budget is around $7b. If they enter an arms race with india their economy will collapse.

SANITY

It is true for any country except pakistan. Case in point India enjoyed relatively peaceful environment in past as pakis were busy fighting talibans. Not because they wanted peace.
As soon as their relations with Afghan improved and a thin chances of end of taliban problems emerged, they started focusing all their energy to India. Can be seen from heightened separatist issues in kashmir and khalistan issue.
Pakistan will always try to bleed India no matter it is stable or not. And I will prefer unstable Pakistan which has much less capability to bleed India than stable one.
So many senior members are saying that an unstable Pakistan is in India's interest. What I am having difficulty in understanding is the concern about how stable Pakistan possess more threat to India.

How likely is this for Pakistan to be stable unless they stop sheltering extremists, radicals and take action against them?

A severely weakened Pakistani state might actually provide greater opportunities to a range of jihadi organizations to provoke and bleed India at will and become a safe haven for all kind terrorist organizations on a scale that India has never witnessed.

They will only be stable when they act against extreme outfits and it will make ways for dialogue between two nations toward a better relationship.

Or Is something wrong with my logic?
Anyway, their stability is in their own hands.

26/11

Country flag
So many senior members are saying that an unstable Pakistan is in India's interest. What I am having difficulty in understanding is the concern about how stable Pakistan possess more threat to India.

How likely is this for Pakistan to be stable unless they stop sheltering extremists, radicals and take action against them?

A severely weakened Pakistani state might actually provide greater opportunities to a range of jihadi organizations to provoke and bleed India at will and become a safe haven for all kind terrorist organizations on a scale that India has never witnessed.

They will only be stable when they act against extreme outfits and it will make ways for dialogue between two nations toward a better relationship.

Or Is something wrong with my logic?
Anyway, their stability is in their own hands.
I accept your view that it is difficult for unstable pakistan to rein in terrorist.
But will stable pakistan rein in terrorist?? No they will give them more training, logistics and better equipments to attack India.

fyodor

Country flag
India just needs 10% economic growth for at the very least 10 years and most of the problems will be sorted out. India's strong economy will sustain a very strong Defence force.

praneet.bajpaie

India cannot afford a military adventure with us as long as we are atomic power l
I really don't get this atomic power garbage coming from Pakis you know. Does your pea brain comprehend what will happen in a atomic war between India and Pakistan?

We can survive it. We have a robust Air Defence system and an accelerator weapon is coming very soon which can shoot down enemy aircraft and missiles. DO you have any of those? Will there be a Pakistan left after such a war?

26/11

Country flag
I really don't get this atomic power garbage coming from Pakis you know. Does your pea brain comprehend what will happen in a atomic war between India and Pakistan?

We can survive it. We have a robust Air Defence system and an accelerator weapon is coming very soon which can shoot down enemy aircraft and missiles. DO you have any of those? Will there be a Pakistan left after such a war?
And Where was Paki atom bomb when Indian Army killed all the Pigs in Kargil??
Why Paki PM had to run to washington to save themselves when you already had atom bomb??
Your pakis does not have guts to use atom bomb. You can only talk.

praneet.bajpaie

And Where was Paki atom bomb when Indian Army killed all the Pigs in Kargil??
Why Paki PM had to run to washington to save themselves when you already had atom bomb??
Your pakis does not have guts to use atom bomb. You can only talk.
I am an Indian. Understand the context of my post before running your mouth, or your fingers. I was replying to the Paki here.

26/11

Country flag
@praneet.bajpaie , please read my post carefully..
My reply was in support of your position, not against it. And I never assumed you as Pakistani.
The only mistake I made was that I quoted your post instead of Raja Pakistani post..

pmaitra

Should India try to lure Pakistan into an arms race?

Sure. That seems to be one way to force Pakistan to go on a spending spree, which will eventually bankrupt Pakistan.

This conclusion is true, only, if we assume nobody else will help Pakistan.

Pakistan is very important internationally. The US needs Pakistan for its own strategic interests. The Saudis need Pakistan for their own. It might turn out that no matter how much India spends on defence, Pakistan gets whatever funds it needs from USA and/or Saudi. In such a case, it is India that will get caught in its own trap. On the other hand, the only serious counter to the economic might of PRC is India. Getting India into a spending spree without itself actually having to do anything is easily achievable if PRC continues to supply Pakistan with advanced weapons.

Ultimately, a pure arms race is not a viable solution to make Pakistan collapse. India needs to encourage separatism within Pakistan and weaken it internally, so much so that even a generous inflow of money will not save it.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Pakistani economy can be crushed through diplomacy.

blueblood

Should India try to lure Pakistan into an arms race?

Sure. That seems to be one way to force Pakistan to go on a spending spree, which will eventually bankrupt Pakistan.

This conclusion is true, only, if we assume nobody else will help Pakistan.

Pakistan is very important internationally. The US needs Pakistan for its own strategic interests. The Saudis need Pakistan for their own. It might turn out that no matter how much India spends on defence, Pakistan gets whatever funds it needs from USA and/or Saudi. In such a case, it is India that will get caught in its own trap. On the other hand, the only serious counter to the economic might of PRC is India. Getting India into a spending spree without itself actually having to do anything is easily achievable if PRC continues to supply Pakistan with advanced weapons.

Ultimately, a pure arms race is not a viable solution to make Pakistan collapse. India needs to encourage separatism within Pakistan and weaken it internally, so much so that even a generous inflow of money will not save it.
Sorry to say but you are not 100% correct.

1) India is already luring Pakistan into an arms race and India is winning by a massive margin.

2) While you are right that Saudi, US, China and all their other daddies are giving them either toys or monies or both, you have to realize that this is not the cold war anymore. Apart from the gulf states, every body else is trimming down their defence budget, that will soon enough will be reality for China too.

3) Recent brouhaha over Yemen resulted in Gulf calling out Pakis for what they are double faced POS and they made no secret of this "displeasure". Things won't be as smooth in the future as they have been in the past.

4) Despite all the money they are receiving, it results in a very "hand to mouth" budget. They maintain or at least try to maintain the ratio of 1:1.5 in most fields with some exceptions like naval surface vessels and infantry etc. At the same time, they have a fraction of India's budget when India don't have sufficient budget itself.

5) Modern weapon systems cost an arm and a leg something you can't have with your "hand to mouth" budget. What you needed was a F-16 blk 60 or a Gripen E what you got is used F-16 blk 15. I hope you get what I meant by that. An F-4 built today would have cost less than a third of F-16 blk 52 and only a fraction of F-35.

6) Whatever weapon systems Pak manages to "buy" from US or China today is very substandard. Be it the JF-17, Al Khalid, F-22p (their future mainstay FYI), and plenty of other stuff. While may look good on paper or good enough to fill numbers, their effectiveness in a battle is very questionable. So while Pak gets to say that they have a frigate in F-22p they don't and India knows it.

7) And last but definitely not the least, "Hasina Atom Bum". It shows you are fucked when maintaining your nuclear arsenal cost you $2.5 billion every year and your forex reserves need shoring up to get a loan from IMF.

................................................................................

So I wholeheartedly disagree that arms race with Pak is not a good idea. Instead with the current threatening posture of India, Pak army gets a bigger budget with the tacit approval of the politicians and the awam. Weapon systems are getting expensive at a crazy rate and Pak can't afford them despite all the hand outs.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles