Pakistan carried out drone strikes in Feb: NYT

Black Blood

Tihar Jail
Banned

Pakistan had carried out drone attacks in tribal region in the month of February, the United States officials revealed.

The US officials said that CIA has no connection in February drone attacks. They alleged that Pakistan it self conducted drone attacks in tribal regions.

It is important to mention here that in February two drone attacks were carried out in South and North Waziristan in which 10 suspects including two alleged commanders of Al Qaeda were killed in the attacks.

The US officials further alleged that Pakistan conducted drone attacks it self and also recorded protest with Washington.

After the revelation, if it was supposed that Pakistan has gotten drone fire technology and the report published in the New York Time was true that Pakistan it self conducted drone attacks in tribal regions then it was also a huge drone attack by Pakistan and clear warning for Pakistan's enemies. Pakistan and US Officials in Pakistan are not available for the comments.

Pakistan carried out drone attacks in Feb: US officials,3/5/2013 3:03:30 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/world/asia/us-disavows-2-drone-strikes-over-pakistan.html

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — When news of the two latest drone strikes emerged from Pakistan's tribal belt in early February, it seemed to be business as usual by the C.I.A.

Local and international media reports, citing unnamed Pakistani officials, carried typical details: swarms of American drones had swooped into remote areas, killing up to nine people, including two senior commanders of Al Qaeda.

In Islamabad, Pakistan's Foreign Ministry lodged an official protest with the American Embassy.

Yet there was one problem, according to three American officials with knowledge of the program: The United States did not carry out those attacks.

"They were not ours," said one of the officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the drone program's secrecy. "We haven't had any kinetic activity since January."

What exactly took place in those remote tribal villages, far from outside scrutiny, is unclear. But the Americans' best guess is that one or possibly both of the strikes were carried out by the Pakistani military and falsely attributed to the C.I.A. to avoid criticism from the Pakistani public.

E-mail and phone messages seeking comment from the Pakistani military were not returned.

If the American version is true, it is a striking irony: In the early years of the drone campaign, the Pakistani Army falsely claimed responsibility for American drone strikes in an attempt to mask C.I.A. activities on its soil. Now, the Americans suggest, the Pakistani military may be using the same program to disguise its own operations.

More broadly, the phantom attacks underscore the longstanding difficulty of gaining reliable information about America's drone program in the remote and largely inaccessible tribal belt — particularly at a time when the program is under sharp scrutiny in Washington.

For the past month, John O. Brennan, President Obama's counterterrorism adviser and nominee to lead the C.I.A., has been dogged by Congressional questions about the drone program's lack of transparency, particularly when it comes to killing American citizens abroad.

The biggest obstacle to confirming details of the strikes is their location: the strikes usually hit remote, hostile and virtually closed-off areas. Foreign reporters are barred from the tribal belt, and the handful of local journalists who operate there find themselves vulnerable to pressure from both the military and the Taliban.

That murkiness has often suited the purposes of both the C.I.A. and the Pakistani military. It allows the Americans to conduct drone strikes behind a curtain of secrecy, largely shielded from public oversight and outside scrutiny. For the Pakistanis, it allows them to play both sides: publicly condemning strikes, while quietly supporting others, like the missile attack that killed the Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud in 2009.

Still, the information vacuum also places American officials at a disadvantage when it comes to answering accusations that the drone strikes kill large numbers of innocent civilians alongside bona fide militants. State Department officials have complained that they cannot effectively counter civilian death claims they believe are hugely inflated because the program is classified — a subject of lively debate inside the administration, one official said.

The private controversy over the latest strikes, however, suggested another phenomenon at work: the manipulation of the actual drone reports themselves.

The two strikes, which took place on Feb. 6 in North Waziristan and Feb. 8 in South Waziristan, went unremarked on largely because they appeared so run of the mill.

Small Pakistani news agencies and international television networks, including NBC and Al Jazeera, carried common-sounding details: accounts of multiple American drones hovering overhead, estimates of the number of missiles fired, accounts of the rescue effort by local civilians and quotes from Pakistani military officials in the tribal belt or nearby Peshawar.

"The compound was completely destroyed. The militants had surrounded the area after the attack," one official told Agence France-Presse after the second explosion, in Babar Ghar, near Ladha, in South Waziristan.

Some reports, attributed to Pakistani officials, said the dead included two Qaeda commanders, identified as Abu Majid al-Iraqi and Sheikh Abu Waqas. Other reports said four Uzbek militants had died.

"The Pakistan Air Force does not generally undertake stand-alone strikes such as these because it is not equipped with the appropriate strike weapons," a Pakistani military source said.

The American narrative of those strikes is very different.

Two senior United States officials said there had been no American involvement in the attacks. A third official said the C.I.A. had not paid the reports much attention because no American forces had been involved. But that official said American intelligence pointed to the Pakistan Air Force as having conducted the first strike, probably as part of a military operation against Pakistani Taliban militants in the neighboring Orakzai tribal agency.

The second attack was more mysterious. "It could have been the Pakistani military," the official said. "It could have been the Taliban fighting among themselves. Or it could have been simply bad reporting."

Few issues antagonize the relationship between Pakistan and the United States as much as the drone program does — or encapsulate the often contradictory, smoke-and-mirrors nature of the military-to-military relationship.

In public, both Pakistani military and government officials routinely and vehemently condemn the strikes. But in private, a handful of senior Pakistani generals are "read into" the program, according to American officials.

The United States gives the Pakistani military 30 minutes' advance notice of drones strikes in South Waziristan. However, it gives no notice in North Waziristan, considered a bigger hub of Taliban and Qaeda militancy, and also a major base for the Haqqani Network, which carries out attacks in Afghanistan, one senior American official said.

If American claims are correct, the United States has not conducted a drone strike in Pakistan since Jan. 10, marking the longest pause of the campaign since November 2011, when the C.I.A. stopped strikes for 55 days after American warplanes killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in a disputed border clash.

Some analysts believe the lull may be connected to Mr. Brennan's nomination, pointing to a similar slowdown in Yemen, the other major theater of American drone operation. Others point to more prosaic explanations, like intelligence delays or bad weather.

"The whole thing seems to be on pause at the moment," said Chris Woods of the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, a watchdog group that tallies the drone strikes, mostly using news reports.

If one thing is clear about the drones, it is that all sides — Pakistanis, Americans and the Taliban — have an interest in manipulating reports about their impact.

Mr. Woods said he would take American claims of noninvolvement in the February attacks "with a pinch of salt," citing the details about the Qaeda deaths as potential evidence of C.I.A. involvement.

But, Mr. Woods added, his group had earmarked reports of about a dozen drone strikes as suspicious in recent years, and had marked them as such on its Web site.

Viewed from Washington, a handful of erroneously reported strikes may seem inconsequential. According to most estimates, the C.I.A. has carried out about 330 drone strikes in Pakistan's tribal belt since 2004, the vast majority of them in the past five years. (Though the American military also operates drones, officials insist that the program in Pakistan is solely conducted by the C.I.A.)

Yet in Pakistan, they carry greater significance, igniting huge and sometimes violent anti-American demonstration that make drones a toxic subject for generals and politicians alike. But the American claims about the two attacks this month suggest that they may, also, be trying to have the best of both worlds.

------------------------------------------------------------

Burraq UCAV is inducted. :thumb:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Sale kud he martey hain or khud he protest darj karvatey hai.
The US officials further alleged that Pakistan conducted drone attacks it self and also recorded protest with Washington. :rofl::rofl:
First nation on earth who killed its own people to test its drone fire technology.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Why would they do it for something they have been doing with impunity.
To implicate Pakistan and make trouble with Taliban or weaken the argument of Pakistan that drone strikes are killing civilians. But then some Pakistani posters use this for entirely different purpose to implicate that Pakistan has UCAV abilities :laugh: :rofl:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Everyone knows US is doing all drone attacks... just to shut mouth of Pakis and their useless "protest" US might have done small propoganda.

Serves purpose of both ie US does more drone attacks and Pakis dont have to fake out and cry in "protests"

hit&run

Mod
To implicate Pakistan and make trouble with Taliban or weaken the argument of Pakistan that drone strikes are killing civilians. But then some Pakistani posters use this for entirely different purpose to implicate that Pakistan has UCAV abilities :laugh: :rofl:
Talibans already know USA's impunity is because of their agreement with Pakistan. They know USA is using Pakistani bases as well.

Pakistanis themselves would love to be capable of doing the same and we can see from their representation here.

I think it is one of their same old another lies they thought would be debited on USA's account, everyone knows they have been killing their own population using artillery and air force.

They have been using drones for a while, I don't think using drones to drop dumb or guided bombs is a big deal at all. There was news that China has offered them the assistance, Chinese would love to use Pakistanis as guinea pigs to test their JV.

natarajan

now is Taliban going to crash any high rise in Karachi for this drone attack ?

gokussj9

Country flag
Pakistan Army rejects NYT report on drone strikes | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan's military on Tuesday rejected a report published in a US newspaper on recent drone strikes in northwestern Pakistan, calling it a "distortion of facts" and an attempt at weakening the country's stand against drone strikes.

Commenting on the report published in the New York Times on Tuesday, a spokesman for the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said "such an accusation is a distortion of the facts and seems to be aimed at diluting Pakistan's stance on drone strikes."

Local and international media had reported two suspected US drone strikes in the North and South Waziristan tribal regions in early February.

According to Dawn reports, the first strike on Feb 6 targeted a suspected compound in North Waziristan agency killing three unidentified people. The second strike on Feb 8 carried out on the border of the North and South Waziristan tribal regions was reported to have targeted a compound owned by a local Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) commander.

Intelligence officials said the Feb 8 attack killed eight militants, including two Al Qaeda men. The rest, sources said, were local TTP fighters.

However, the report published by the New York Times today quoted unnamed US intelligence officials as denying the US carried out the attacks and instead accused Pakistani forces of carrying out the strikes.

Rejecting the report, the ISPR spokesman denied Pakistan's security forces having carried out any operation, including air strikes, in the area on dates mentioned in the news report.
:laugh:

Agnostic Muslim

Sale kud he martey hain or khud he protest darj karvatey hai.

First nation on earth who killed its own people to test its drone fire technology.
Are you suggesting that no other country on earth has the death penalty for criminals, and has had ZERO instances of alleged criminals being killed in encounters with law enforcement agencies?

Agnostic Muslim

Another CIA disinformation campaign.
It is certainly possible, but even if it is deliberate disinformation on the part of the US government, it points to a significant shift in their position. Remember that Musharraf and the Zardari government argued for the US to at least officially claim that Pakistan was conducting the drone strikes, even if Pakistan was not in the loop at all. The US refused to even state that Pakistan was consulted on the drone strikes.

So if these strikes continue to remain 'unclaimed' by the US, and we see more 'unclaimed strikes in FATA', it could point to increased behind the scenes cooperation between Pakistan and the US.

hit&run

Mod
Are you suggesting that no other country on earth has the death penalty for criminals, and has had ZERO instances of alleged criminals being killed in encounters with law enforcement agencies?
You have been criticizing USA for their drone strikes in Pakistan ?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Yes - but I have always supported Pakistani controlled or jointly operated drone strikes.
Haan Haan kyun nahi.... if you ever knew US was coming to attack Osama by drones then Osama would have been living happily even today with his mansion with harem of women and 100 kids.

By unilateral drone attacks US clearly wants to say "We dont trust you ehh...shooo away and issue statements do "we condom" or simply protests in the streets"

:lol: :lol:

hit&run

Mod
Yes - but I have always supported Pakistani controlled or jointly operated drone strikes.
I will tell you why you want it, because you want US technology.

Other then that it so irrational an argument that operator A is culpable if he is operating a killer drone after the permission of operator B, but B wouldn't be culpable if operator A let him use the same drones. In both the case Taliban will come after you, If you can handle the backlash while operating the same yourself then you should be doing the same in any case, after all USA is your ally.

Agnostic Muslim

Haan Haan kyun nahi.... if you ever knew US was coming to attack Osama by drones then Osama would have been living happily even today with his mansion with harem of women and 100 kids.

By unilateral drone attacks US clearly wants to say "We dont trust you ehh...shooo away and issue statements do "we condom" or simply protests in the streets"

:lol: :lol:
That is irrelevant to my comment - that I support Pakistan controlled or jointly operated drone strikes.

Agnostic Muslim

I will tell you why you want it, because you want US technology.
I want the drone strikes conducted by Pakistan and/or conducted jointly - whether they use US, European, Chinese or local technology I don't really care.

Other then that it so irrational an argument that operator A is culpable if he is operating a killer drone after the permission of operator B, but B wouldn't be culpable if operator A let him use the same drones. In both the case Taliban will come after you, If you can handle the backlash while operating the same yourself then you should be doing the same in any case, after all USA is your ally.
There is nothing irrational about my position or the Pakistani position - Pakistan continues to state that the drone strikes are a violation of international law, a violation of the UN Charter and a violation of Pakistani sovereignty and unauthorized by Pakistan. Given the official Pakistani and US position, your example of Operator A and Operator B is not applicable here.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
That is irrelevant to my comment - that I support Pakistan controlled or jointly operated drone strikes.
Osama is 1001% relavant since its the BIGGEST example that Pakis support terrorists and cant be trusted for even "joint" operations. :lol:

So today it doesnt matter what you think or want but what US thinks and does.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles