Pakistan Bleeding America

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by Ray, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

What is Pakistan doing?

Another dismembering a country with 1000 cuts?

How far is Hamid Gul right that Afghanistan will be the graveyard of the Americans?

Is it time, as the Wall Street Journal states, to send Pakistan back to the Stone Age and if so, how?

3. AOE

AOE Regular Member

In reality Pakistan is actually being bled dry. It has spent over $30 billion US in its marginal fighting in the WOT, and has US drones/agents in the country attempting to do their job for them. If the Pakistanis overstep their bounds, it would mean that aid will be cut off and the possibility of US intervention in the region would increase. They know that China will not come to their aid, especially given the PRCs focus on the east at present.

Afghanistan will certainly not be the graveyard of the American forces, as the polls indicate there is support for coalition troops bringing democracy to the region; especially if the alternative means Taliban rule which is very unpopular. It is just a conflict that will take decades to fix the region.

4. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

If "bringing democracy to Afghanistan" means more regimes like Karzai's, then I'm afraid Afghanistan is f*****.

Karzai was elected due to immense corruption and fraud in the election process. The only reason why he's in power is because he has America's support. Karzai has very little support from the Afghan people, and it has gotten to the point where American soldiers are being used as door-to-door ambassadors to sell the Karzai regime to the Afghan people. What we are seeing is a classic example of a puppet regime being established.

The solution is not simple either. Pakistan wants to use Afghanistan to satisfy its goal of "strategic depth" against India, and to accomplish this it is willing to support Islamist elements in Afghanistan; in particular, the Pashtuns, who form the majority of the Taliban, but a minority of the overall Afghan population. In order for Afghanistan to achieve some degree of stability, Pakistan needs to go.

The American-backed puppet regime in Afghanistan is a good idea if America's long-term goal is to balkanize and destabilize Pakistan. If not, then the plan was doomed to fail from day one.

5. AOE

AOE Regular Member

I'm well aware of the corrupt elements within the UN that allowed or helped Karzai to be elected, and frankly I don't support their move. Heck, I don't support many decisions the UN makes, but that's a separate topic for now. This is not what I meant in the post that you quoted. If you watched the videos in my intro thread by Christopher Hitchens, you would also note that his position (which you basically explained here up until the last line) is one that I completely agree with.

If the US wants to destabilize and balkanize Pakistan, then 'good riddance' is all I can say. Pakistan is a terrorist breeding ground and I think the world would be a better place without it, but this does not mean that the attempt to bring about peace, democracy, and prosperity to Afghanistan is a vain one. As you have said yourself at one point; they are a country that is still partly stuck in the Middle Ages, and will be the biggest challenge to see if democracy will succeed.