Pakistan begins submarine procurement talks with China

Country flag
Anyone want to guess how long it will take China to deliver the 7 subs?? Since there is no money incentive ,I don't think any bonuses or reward will be given to have it done on time?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Pakistan begins talks with China for procurement of 7 submarine
BY: JANES
I see header as outrageous. Entire article restricts number at 3-4 and header says 7.

One relevant question is still here, can PN afford to maintain a fleet of 13 SSKs even if these 7 Chinese submarine comes free of cost?

Last edited:

rizwan78

Country flag
I see header as outrageous. Entire article restricts number at 3-4 and header says 7.

One relevant question is still here, can PN afford to maintain a fleet of 13 SSKs even if these 7 Chinese submarine comes free of cost?
I think with current budget allocation Pakistan can easily effort one nuclear sub

Islamabad: Pakistan government's total allocation for the military for fiscal 2010-11 is about Rs 675 billion and not Rs 442 billion as shown in the defence budget, a top finance official has said.

Saqib Sheerani, Principal Economic Adviser to the Finance Ministry, said the allocation for defence was not reflected under one head in the budget but was distributed under three different heads.

Sheerani was explaining why the International Monetary Fund had given Rs 593 billion as Pakistan's total defence spending for the last fiscal while the government had put the figure at Rs 378 billion in its budget documents.

During the last fiscal, Rs 378 billion were shown under the main head of the defence budget while over Rs 200 billion were shown under two other heads ? spending on pensions and the war on terrorism.

The government also had to pay for "legacy expenditures" like purchases of defence hardware for which deals were struck during former President Pervez Musharraf's tenure, Sheerani told The News daily.

The budget for 2010-11 contained the total allocation for defence under three heads.

Besides the Rs 442 billion announced as the defence budget, almost Rs 225 billion were allocated for pensions and the war on terrorism, Sheerani said.

Recent media reports had said that the government has allocated Rs 110 billion for the Armed Forces Development Plan, ongoing anti-militancy operations and a key defence initiative.

The aim of this initiative is to enable the military to acquire fighter jets and surveillance aircraft, submarines and other weapons and technology to effectively counter external threats and terrorism.

PTI

AJSINGH

as long as PN does not have nuclear sub , IN has little to worry about

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
as long as PN does not have nuclear sub , IN has little to worry about
why ? SSKs are in some ways more dangerous than SSNs or SSBNs dangerous.
I would prefer PN has as few Subs as possible and lesser the amount of SSKs the better.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The problem is the scorpene deal, we need to dump that whole deal and possibly negotiate a new deal with the swedes for A26's or with the Germans for one of their subs.
Scorpenes are already being built.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Military Inc by Ayesha Siddiqa ??
Pak Military is a military with a country. They can easily operate those 13 SSKs.

sandeepdg

Instead usa is made to pay Jaziya for all those attacks by pakistan in the form of aid.
That's the most stupidest thing I have ever heard !! Actually, its not "Jaziaya", its alms that a master (US) gives to beggar(Pakistan) so that the beggar can just sustain itself and does not fall apart ! :emot15:

Rahul92

I think with current budget allocation Pakistan can easily effort one nuclear sub

Islamabad: Pakistan government's total allocation for the military for fiscal 2010-11 is about Rs 675 billion and not Rs 442 billion as shown in the defence budget, a top finance official has said.

PTI
On paper, India spends $32.7 billion, about 3% of its GDP on defense, after an increase of 34% for 2010.

In reality, India spends closer to 3.5% of its GDP on defense.

debasree

Country flag
this is vrry serious development if pakis get one of this toys,we should enhance our anti sub capabillity!

Neil

Country flag
On paper, India spends $32.7 billion, about 3% of its GDP on defense, after an increase of 34% for 2010.

India does not spend even 3% of its GDP on its defence my friend....thats has many defence analyst worried as all are enemies spend nearly 3% or more than that....

and how did you get that 3.5%....source...??

Blackwater

china is giving submarines to pak if its true coz of pak give full control of gawadar port to China.

tanlixiang28776

Pakistan is going to get improved Yuans. No nuclear subs are up for leasing and certainly not for selling.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
this is vrry serious development if pakis get one of this toys,we should enhance our anti sub capabillity!
You cannot "buy" nuclear submarines. Also considering the number and the money involved, the Pakistani Navy canceled the Milgem corvette deal with Turkey despite it being cheaper than US corvettes. I don't know how they intend to actually purchase the weapon because their production line of JF-17 itself is on soft loans from China. If they buy these also on soft debt, then their entire military would be debt ridden.

Any source? This cannot be proven. Half the analysts are worried sick because we don't spend enough in defence already while both our neighbours spend far more than us in % as well as in real terms. You're saying we are overspending? Heck its not even 3% fully-- which is supposed to be healthy.

The 34% of increase you are saying was in proportion to our economic growth but in real terms of %, it remains the same. We simply cannot afford more than this in a logical manner since most of the countries that actually overspend on military are either prison states or tyrannical dictatorships. This is not possible in India though we need to start spending about 3% now seriously because below 3% is not healthy.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
LOL pakistan is getting its DOLLAR bhik on time, no doubt they cannot buy anything other than chinese, as most of the DOLLAR BHIK pakistanis receive goes into the pockets of the Army :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles