Pakistan begins submarine procurement talks with China

nandu

Pakistan begins submarine procurement talks with China

China's vice-president, Zheng Dejiang, met with civil and military leaders in Pakistan on 9-10 June in a visit surrounded by reports of a major new defence deal under discussion that would see Pakistan buying at least three Chinese submarines.

Speaking to Jane's on 9 June, a senior Pakistani government official said the Pakistan Navy began discussions with "the Chinese authorities last month for an eventual submarine deal" for up to three or four boats, but declined to specify the types or terms under discussion.

China has a long history of helping Pakistan overcome shortages of key military hardware, notably the hardware it was denied by the Western world following sanctions imposed from 1990 in response to Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme.

The Pakistani government official who spoke to Jane's on 9 June said that it was vital for the navy to acquire more submarines to offset "the pressure we will definitely come under" due to the rapid expansion of India's naval capability. "Our Chinese brothers have always come to our help and we are asking them for assistance once again," he said.

Although neither China nor Pakistan have ever publicly revealed the terms of their past financial arrangements, defence analysts say that China continues to offer long-term loans to Pakistan on concessional terms, allowing the country to continue with its military hardware purchases.

http://www.janes.com/news/defence/jdw/jdw100611_1_n.shtml

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I hope pakistan get some of those Chinese nuke subs then the game in the IOR will be more interesting.

DaRk WaVe

I hope pakistan get some of those Chinese nuke subs then the game in the IOR will be more interesting.
I will be tha happiest person on the face of planet if PN ever got Nuclear Submarines, YOO!!! :D

Country flag
How will China give Pakistan a nuclear submarine without violating the NPT??

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
LF,
What NPT has to do with nuke sub???didnt india get one on lease in 1980 and one now from russia without signing NPT????

Agantrope

I will be tha happiest person on the face of planet if PN ever got Nuclear Submarines, YOO!!! :D
Nuk Submarine? Does pakistan have a economy to support these kind of toys. Think some thing reliable. If China does this then US will have every reason to sell 3-4 squadrons of the F-16s to taiwan

DaRk WaVe

Nuk Submarine? Does pakistan have a economy to support these kind of toys. Think some thing reliable. If China does this then US will have every reason to sell 3-4 squadrons of the F-16s to taiwan
personally i think Nuke Sub will be tooooo ambitious for PN, but lets have it if we can

plus you think US will stop sale of Weapons to Taiwan under Chinese Pressure, Think again

san

I will be very happy if PAK will get nuck sub, AC all and need to spend 20% of their budjet on defence. It will destroy their economy. We will have a growth of around 9-10% for next deacade and this will make us far more strong then Pak. Let them sit on their nucks subs and beg for money all over the world

Country flag
A nuclear submarine violates NPT,MCTR if it is carrying SLBM's, If there is transfer of fuel that also violates NPT but Pakistan is a non signatory and China is so it makes it interesting, this is a direct challenge more to USA then India by China and Pakistan.

http://www.wmdinsights.com/I23/I23_LA1_BrazilPursuit.htm

Brazil's Pursuit of a Nuclear Submarine Raises Proliferation Concerns

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I will be very happy if PAK will get nuck sub, AC all and need to spend 20% of their budjet on defence. It will destroy their economy. We will have a growth of around 9-10% for next deacade and this will make us far more strong then Pak. Let them sit on their nucks subs and beg for money all over the world
There you do the mistake.Pakistan gets mosts of its weapons in aid but india spends hard earned cash on its weapon procurements.

Agantrope

personally i think Nuke Sub will be tooooo ambitious for PN, but lets have it if we can

plus you think US will stop sale of Weapons to Taiwan under Chinese Pressure, Think again
Chinese pressure stopped the sale of F-16s to taiwan. But more PAC-3 system go there.

Agantrope

There you do the mistake.Pakistan gets mosts of its weapons in aid but india spends hard earned cash on its weapon procurements.
How long can they beg and maintain their system? This can be done some years but not for lifetime

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
A nuclear submarine violates NPT,MCTR if it is carrying SLBM's, If there is transfer of fuel that also violates NPT but Pakistan is a non signatory and China is so it makes it interesting, this is a direct challenge more to USA then India by China and Pakistan.

http://www.wmdinsights.com/I23/I23_LA1_BrazilPursuit.htm

Brazil's Pursuit of a Nuclear Submarine Raises Proliferation Concerns
thats all fine.But my question is how can india get nuke sub without raising eyebrows but for pakistan there is lot of noise about NPT,MCTR etc.Coz both india and pak are non signatory to these treaties.

Agantrope

thats all fine.But my question is how can india get nuke sub without raising eyebrows but for pakistan there is lot of noise about NPT,MCTR etc.Coz both india and pak are non signatory to these treaties.
Nuclear Deal dude!!!, Do you still need a reason?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
A nuclear submarine costs 7 -10 Billion dollars to BUILD, who will do this for FREE for Pakistan??
As long as pakistan does china and usa bidding in the region they will get free flow of weapons in aid and pakistan is quite smart enough in playing with superpowers.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Nuclear Deal dude!!!, Do you still need a reason?
nuclear deal was signed in this decade but the india got its first sub on lease from USSR in mid 1980s that time there was no nuke deal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles