Pakistan an incurable disease?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
An incurable disease?
by Murtaza Haider

Given the brutal violence against the Shias in Pakistan over the past three decades, Shias have started to wonder if there is a future for them in Pakistan.

While hundreds of thousands of Shias had migrated to Pakistan in 1947 in the hope of building a new life for themselves and their future generations, many are now contemplating emigrating from Pakistan to save their lives and property.

Hundreds of Shias have been murdered by the Deobandi militants in Quetta in the past few months alone. In the last couple of weeks, Shias have been taken off buses, lined up and shot dead. Quetta, however, is not an exception. Shias are not safe in any major town in Pakistan. Their places of worship, religious processions, and civilian and religious leadership has come under relentless attacks while the State's machinery has either refused or failed to protect Shias and other religious minorities in Pakistan.

According to South Asia Terrorism Portal, 3,700 civilians, mostly Shias, have been killed and another 7,700 wounded since 1989 in sectarian violence in Pakistan. Elsewhere, several thousand Shias have been ruthlessly murdered in sectarian violence in Afghanistan, Bahrain, Iraq, and Pakistan. In the last decade alone, the number of Shias killed by fellow Muslims is an order of magnitude higher than those who died at the hands of non-Muslims. These stats are at odds with the mainstream rhetoric of the religio-political Muslim parties who argue for one people under Islam.

In 2004, I visited India for the first time. I attended the Friday prayers in the historical Delhi mosque. The cab drove me right to the main gate and I walked freely into the compound. Later, I visited the Bara (large) and Chota (small) Imambargah in Lucknow. I walked into both places without any hindrance. The same was true for mosques and shrines in other cities that I visited in India. Weeks later when I went to Pakistan I realised how far things had deteriorated vis-à-vis India. While I was able to walk into Sunni and Shia places of worship in India without being stopped at checkpoints by the police, I was not able to do the same in Pakistan.

The streets leading up to Imambargahs in Pakistan were guarded by police against possible attacks on Shias. Even Sunni shrines were heavily guarded by the police and private security guards; I made a painful realisation. In the supposedly Hindu India, Muslims' places of worship existed in relative safety while in a Muslim Pakistan, mosques and shrines had to be guarded against the wrath of fellow Muslims.

I am not oblivious to, or ignorant of, the wholesale violence against Muslims in Gujarat in India, or the discovery of 2,156 unidentified dead bodies buried in unmarked graves in Kashmir, or the breakout of sporadic communal violence in Mumbai that often leaves many Muslims dead. However, if one were to focus on the rest of India, especially the States in South India, Muslims live in relative peace. On the other hand, there is no place left in Pakistan where one can claim that religious minorities are not threatened by extremist Muslims.

An incurable disease? | Blog | DAWN.COM

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hundreds of Shias have been murdered by the Deobandi militants in Quetta.
It appears that the Deoband is hardly the institution which teaches peace, notwithstanding pious proclamations!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Pakis secretly know that they are beneath India. Few make it known subtly.

Blackwater

pak is like this

how on earth you can cure these.Only one solution.. distroy it.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Pakis secretly know that they are beneath India. Few make it known subtly.
Yes, all Pakis know it in their heart of hearts.

Occasionally, very rarely, we can see Pakis settled in foreign nations whisper about how their country is a total waste and how it would have been better off not to have made it, and to have been part of India's progress instead.

The fact that many Pakis pretend to be Indians when abroad is another indicator. I hate them for this, but it does show their extreme self loathing.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I did my part with this story. Put it on Facebook!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is like some skin disease.

Parts of skin falls off.

East Pakistan gone, Balochistan going.

They have killed the Bugti's daughter and grand daughter!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Killings of Nawab Bugti's relatives shock Karachi

slamabad: In a high profile political double-murder case, the daughter and granddaughter of slain Baloch nationalist leader, Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti were brutally shot dead in Pakistan's Karachi city last week.

The shocking murders are being seen as a warning sign to the leader of Baloch Republican Party, Brahmadagh Bugti, late Nawab Bugti's grandson.

The killings include Brahmadagh's daughter, Jhumar, 34, who was married to Balochistan member of provincial assembly Mir Bakhtiar Domki and their daughter, Jaana Domki. They were both shot dead near Gizri flyover of Karachi. The driver of their vehicle, Barkat Baloch was also shot dead.

According to the reports, the attack took place a short distance from Jhumar's maternal uncle's home in the heavily policed Clifton area.

Baloch nationalist website, Balochwarna reports that a black car intercepted Jhumar's car in Clifton around midnight. A man in dressed in black clothes with a black face mask came out to carry out the attack.

Then the assailant opened the rear door and two bikes accosted the car. Jhumar offered her jewellery, phone and valuables to the man thinking that he was a robber. In response, the killer said he didn't need her valuables but he was there to kill her and her daughter.

Adding brutality to the murders, victim Jhumar was made to witness the brutal murder of her daughter, Jaana. Then, Jhumar was shot, over a dozen times in the head, face and neck at point blank range and was left in a pool of blood.

The soul- stirring murders have once again plunged Pakistan's southern Baluchistan province into political mayhem. The country's Supreme Court has termed the case as most sensitive and ordered the arrest of the murderers by February 10.

Killings of Nawab Bugti's relatives shock Karachi

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It is like some skin disease.

Parts of skin falls off.

East Pakistan gone, Balochistan going.

They have killed the Bugti's daughter and grand daughter!
It's amazing that the west is bothered about Syria but the targetted killings, abductions and cleansing of the Baloch is totally overlooked except for some sound bytes here and there. The US just held some hearing but has not amounted to much. Pakistan will clean the entire region of its people and settle its punjabis there who in turn will suck up to china.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Here is some more news of Pakistan preparing to shed extra weight

Daily Balochistan Express | Daily Azadi | National News | International News | Local News | Sports News

Balochistan Express
Daily Azadi

Seraiki Province inevitable

Whether the Central Punjab leadership likes it or not, there are bright chances that the demand for Seraiki Province will be accepted ultimately forcing the opponents to concede the demand. The reason is that it is the demand is popular among the Seraiki people and it is also enjoying broad support from rest of the people of Pakistan. Punjab was given provincial status around a century back and some of the territories of other nationalities, including Baloch and Seraiki people, were included in the Punjab for administrative reasons by the British colonial rulers. Punjab cannot claim the territories of Baloch and Seraiki people on any ground and administrative reasons are no ground to annex territories of adjoining and national provinces of Pakistan. Sooner or later, the leadership of Punjab will have to agree to hand over entire Dera Ghazi Khan region back to Balochistan and create a separate province for Seraiki people. The demand for Bahawalpur Province is irrelevant and it had no solid stand on any basis. The people of Bahawalpur are part and parcel of Seraiki people having no other distinct characteristics to make it a separate province merely because some pro-establishment people are demanding it only to sabotage the Seraiki Province. It is a fact that no major political party had opposed the demand for Seraiki Province as the N-League supported it for administrative reasons and not on ethnic, cultural and linguistic basis. Thus there is no dispute on creating Seraiki Province and the Government should move ahead to create the Seraiki province. The fear of some Sindhi nationalists is totally misplaced to oppose the Seraiki Province as it is not claiming any part of Sindh. The Seraiki people are demanding a separate province on their own territory and Urdu people have no territory and they are also refugees and settled on the soil of Sindh on humanitarian grounds. They have no political or other base to make demand for Urdu province. Urdu is not confined to Karachi and Hyderabad; it is the official language of Balochistan for more than a century replacing Persian in Kalat State.

We hope that the Punjabi leadership will not obstruct the move to create the Seraiki province at the earliest for political reasons as the PPP is taking away the credit and Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani is the champion of the Seraiki cause as he had been vocally supporting the demand. If the Seraiki people resorted to political agitation, then it will be difficult for the Punjabi leadership to control it as it will engulf the whole country destroying its economy, social and cultural fabric leaving no one to repair it on any ground.

Seraiki Province inevitable | Daily Balochistan Express | Daily Azadi | National News | International News | Local News | Sports News
This is an editorial from Baluchistan Express.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It's amazing that the west is bothered about Syria but the targetted killings, abductions and cleansing of the Baloch is totally overlooked except for some sound bytes here and there. The US just held some hearing but has not amounted to much. Pakistan will clean the entire region of its people and settle its punjabis there who in turn will suck up to china.
I am reading 'The Wandering Falcon' by Jamil Ahmad, a Pakistan Civil Service person's fictional work on the Baloch people. Most interesting. The author has spent most of his time in the Frontier and Balochistan.

Given the way the Balochis are, if one goes by the book, then it appears that their tribal loyalty and customs are above the Govt rules and binding them to the modern administrative ways.

As far as the US is concerned, they must be aware of the ways of the Baloch. Maybe that is why they are taking it easy.

The US is like a Baz. A slowly swirling falcon. They swoop when the time is ripe and the attack is sure.

They are now busy dismantling the Middle East since it is to them strategically more important.

Pakistan they are aware is on self destruct. Maybe they are awaiting it to slowly crumble by itself and then deliver the coup de grâce to help end Pakistan, its misery!

Pakistan, at the moment is festering with infected sore, boils and carbuncles. It is rotting by the day.

Why should the US bother when it is going to die by itself. It is only giving medication - by causing more dissensions! Who knows if they are not helping the Balochistan Liberation Army and the other Baloch leaders?

Conveniently, the muddled Pakistanis, afraid of the US, blames India and makes India their scapegoat!

US has more strategic interest in Balochistan than India!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles