Pakistan accuses India of shelling as Kashmir tension simmers

Ash

Country flag
MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan (Reuters) - Pakistan accused Indian troops of firing shells across the disputed border in Kashmir on Monday and tensions ran high in both countries after last week's killing of Indian soldiers set off a wave of skirmishes between the two nuclear-armed rivals.

Skirmishes flared along the 740-km (445-mile) Line of Control that divides Kashmir on August 6 when five Indian soldiers were ambushed and killed in the Poonch region. New Delhi blamed the attack on the Pakistan army. Islamabad denied involvement.

While tit-for-tat shelling and machinegun fire are common along the LoC the current round of fighting is one of the most intense since a ceasefire signed in 2003. It has been linked to protests in both countries and rowdy scenes in India's parliament. Under pressure from opposition politicians, the government has hinted at retaliation.

On Monday, a Pakistani army official said a civilian was killed as a result of "unprovoked Indian shelling" in the Battal, Chirikot and Satwal sectors.

"Pakistan troops effectively responded to Indian firing," the official said.

A spokesman for the Indian Defence Ministry offered a different version of events. He said Indian posts came under heavy mortar and automatic weapon fire overnight in the same area and that India "responded effectively." He said no damage or injuries were reported on the Indian side.

The disputed Himalayan region was split between India and Pakistan in 1948 but they both claim it in its entirety.

They have fought two of their three wars over Kashmir and India accuses Pakistan of supporting separatist rebels fighting its rule in its part of Kashmir since 1989.

The two armies have been exchanging fire on the front line since Tuesday, straining the ceasefire that has largely held for nearly a decade.

RIOTS AND PROTESTS

The Indian army patrolled an area close to Poonch on India's side of the fence on Monday after three people died in riots between Hindus and Muslims over the weekend. Opposition parties linked the rioting to the renewed border tensions, because some of the protesters involved had brandished a Pakistani flag.

"It is not a law and order situation, this is an issue of India's sovereignty," said Arun Jaitley, a senior leader of the Bharitya Janata Party.

Jaitley was prevented from visiting the riot-hit area of Kishtwar on Sunday, and Kashmir's chief minister, Omar Abdullah, accused him of trying to enflame tensions for political gain ahead of elections next year. Sporadic protests and clashes with police continued on Monday.

On Pakistan's side of the border, hundreds of people on Monday took to the street in Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, accusing India of stepping up attacks.

"Down with India! Long live the Kashmir freedom movement!" they chanted as the crowd marched towards the Muzaffarabad office of the U.N. Military Observer Group which monitors the ceasefire.

"India does not want peace to prevail in this region," said migrant Uzair Ahmed Ghizali. "This becomes clear from atrocities inside the held territory and provocative actions along the Line of Control."

Media have reported Pakistan might redeploy some of its troops from the Afghan border, where the army is fighting a separate Taliban-linked insurgency, to the eastern frontier, but an army official said the option was not on the table.

India and Pakistan have been trying to restart stalled peace talks, possibly as early as this month, as well as a possible meeting between Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart, Nawaz Sharif, in New York in September.

India has deployed tens of thousands of soldiers in Kashmir to put down an armed revolt that began in 1989. In recent years, violence has ebbed, but there has been little movement on a political settlement.

SHARENET - Your Key To Investing on The JSE Securities Exchange - South Africa

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
The peace in J&K is in India's favor, why would we do such idiotic moves. Idiot Pakis.

bose

Country flag
We have just payed the interest part in the Sialkot sector...one goes down there...

Ash

Country flag
"Media have reported Pakistan might redeploy some of its troops from the Afghan border, where the army is fighting a separate Taliban-linked insurgency, to the eastern frontier, but an army official said the option was not on the table"

I am sure this was said to put pressure on the U.S to intervene.

wrigsted

Country flag
I know this is not popular to mention, but you should know that there are some sitting laughing in China at this border dispute. Try to read some of the threads on the various military forums and see how they are trying to whip up a mood. What will it cost to buy some criminal or a few officers (no matter how high in the line and command) and start this whole show. I'm just saying ....

Compersion

Country flag
"Media have reported Pakistan might redeploy some of its troops from the Afghan border, where the army is fighting a separate Taliban-linked insurgency, to the eastern frontier, but an army official said the option was not on the table"

I am sure this was said to put pressure on the U.S to intervene.
Good point. Perhaps the paks are trying to highlight they are important after-all. You know important sovereign nation that can make a rising power and global super come and bargain for its own benefit. Raising temperatures is a ammunition of a sovereign state according to Pakistan.

Perhaps india was too silent on the loc border that allowed Pakistan to move its troops to the afghan border. Wonder if the USA awards India for that gesture. It might be also that since Pak moved away from the loc border it became more peaceful. Its important to state india wants peace in Afghanistan for its own strategic interests.

Moving away from the afghan border will also amplify the drone strategy and right of self defence by chasing the terrorists across the afghan border by NATO, American and afghan forces that the Pak armed forces are really there to prevent.

Will moving Pakistan soldiers away from afghan border to indias advantage. Definitely and I would recommend india gets that done. And it will cement American relationship further. Stupid calculated move by paks better to call that bluff. They are trying to show muscle with brains. But they are pulling too many straws to achieve a multiple things which is to try outsmart India and America (west) at the same time.

I would get on the phone to Obama and tell him that Pakistan isn't serious about Afghanistan and we are gifting you a open border. And focus everything on Afghanistan and how Pakistan is trying to destabilise it by allowing terrorists to flow in there and preparing that for American withdrawal. Pakistan up to their old dirty tricks using terrorism as a destabilising tool.

Blackwater

[video=dailymotion;x130501]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x130501_top-story-12th-august-2013_news?start=465[/video]

Blackwater

[video=dailymotion;x1309px]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1309px_11th-hour-12th-august-2013_news?start=8[/video]

ramakrishna

soldiers be-headed ... ceasefire violated several times ... 5 jawans dead .... still New Delhi just blaming pakistan instead of strong words and action ... Come on ... whats in the name of god this UPA govt. doing????

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Both sides shoot and shell, then blame other side... :)
One side does it to facilitate infiltration the other too prevent it.

===

I have said so many times, India's response to infiltration should be unpredictable, from massive concerted non stop shelling over a few days to just polite requests. Pakistan should be so confused by our response that they'd dare not test us.

Decklander

many members have questioned my credentials. I am the only one who had claimed that a snatch ops for Dawood was authorised by BJP long back.
Pls see the HT centre stage today. You will know the truth of my statements. truth has an uncanny ability to surface at most inconvinient time for the liers. You had questioned my intel background, now hear that.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Both sides shoot and shell, then blame other side... :)
Your "equal-equal" stuff is getting a little tiring. Really.

As Singh said, Pakis shell posts to facilitate infiltration of terrorists into India. They have been providing such "cover fire" for decades now.

And "equal-equal" rajas like you need to understand that India built the border fence at its own expense. It is a massive lighted fence that is visible even from outer space. Pakis did all they could to obstruct the fence coming up. Obviously, since such an easy infiltration route gets much tougher to use due to the fence.

So please - let us cut out this "equal-equal" nonsense.

honeybadger

Your "equal-equal" stuff is getting a little tiring. Really.

As Singh said, Pakis shell posts to facilitate infiltration of terrorists into India. They have been providing such "cover fire" for decades now.

And "equal-equal" rajas like you need to understand that India built the border fence at its own expense. It is a massive lighted fence that is visible even from outer space. Pakis did all they could to obstruct the fence coming up. Obviously, since such an easy infiltration route gets much tougher to use due to the fence.

So please - let us cut out this "equal-equal" nonsense.
Well, there is always tit-for-tat response from other side. Its a bloddy game going on there, people beheaded by both side, villagers killed. I am not sure whether it has political blessings from delhi but if we dont want to talk and maintain status quo, shelling once in a while is a good way to ensure it.
From pakistani side of course it could be infiltration.
I tend to believe for most part, its an endless self-repeating feud, like those bollywood movies in which families kill each other for generations. :)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
So much denial... Are you a Paki, honeybadger? Is your purpose to try and badger us with your honey laced words?

Well, there is always tit-for-tat response from other side. Its a bloddy game going on there, people beheaded by both side, villagers killed. I am not sure whether it has political blessings from delhi but if we dont want to talk and maintain status quo, shelling once in a while is a good way to ensure it.
From pakistani side of course it could be infiltration.
I tend to believe for most part, its an endless self-repeating feud, like those bollywood movies in which families kill each other for generations. :)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Rather then trying to decipher the identity or the intent of the said member, please try to counter his arguments.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles