Pak successfully test fires Ghauri Hataf-V

Zaki

Country flag
Pak successfully test fires Ghauri Hataf-V

Updated at: 1111 PST, Tuesday, December 21, 2010
RAWALPINDI: Pakistan successfully test-fired ballistic missile Ghauri Hataf-V capable of carrying all kind of warheads, the military spokesman said.

According to Geo News, ISPR spokesman stated that the missile is capable of carrying all kind of warheads besides hitting its target at a range of 1300 kilometers.

The test of Ghauri Hataf-V is normal experiment to identify its capability.

Meanwhile, President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani have f congratulated Pak Army and the whole nation on succesfull test of Ghori Hataf-V.

A.V.

Thats a good news for pakistan finally seeing regular test reports coming to media

any other new missile scheduled for test in the immediate future zaki

still what we were discussing here on another thread begs the question did pakistan report any missile test failures in the recent times i certainly didnt see any and for any regular missiles there are found to be failures as is evident from the american and russian tests this last decade

divya

Ghauri [Hatf-5]

n the early 1980s China is widely reported to have provided Pakistan with the blueprints for a 1966 design of a U-235 nuclear-implosion device, of the type used in the warhead that China flew on a DF-2A missile during its fourth nuclear test on 27 October 1966. This missile warhead was reported to weigh about 1,300 kilograms with a yield of 12-25 kt. This warhead design would be too large to be carried on an M-11, which does not have the range to reach beyond the Indian Desert to threaten New Delhi or other large population centers. The Ghauri missile represents both an opportunity to use heavier uranium bombs on ballistic missiles, as well as to deliver nuclear warheads to targets across much of India. The Ghauri missile was developed by the Kahuta-based Khan Research Laboratories, led by Dr. A.Q. Khan, which is responsible for uranium weapons development.

Pakistan has stated that the range and payload capacity of the missile will be upgraded. Pakistan claimed that the missile had "no relevance" to China's M-11 missile, and analysis suggests that it appears to be a derivative of the North Korean Nodong design. The December 2001 CIA report "Foreign Missile Developments and the Ballistic Missile Threat Through 2015" seemed to suggest that the Ghauri was based on No Dong MRBMs that Pakistan has acquired from North Korea.

This missile was first named Hataf-V, later the name was changed to Ghauri, which was approved by the prime minister. The missile was named after the 12th century Afghan king Shahbuddin Ghauri who captured western parts of India between 1176 and 1182, and captured northern India by defeating Prithvi Raj Chauhan in 1192. The Ghauri name is thus highly symbolic, as "Prithvi" is the name of the Indian short-range ballistic missiles, and Pakistan's "Ghauri" has a much longer range than the Indian missile.

On 06 April 1998 Pakistan carried out a successful flight test of the surface-to-surface Hatf-V (Ghauri) missile with a range of 1,500 kilometers (937 miles) and a payload capacity of 700 kg. The missile was tested to hit a target at a range of 1,100 kilometers. The Ghauri was fired from Malute, near the city of Jhelum in northeastern Pakistan, and impacted the target near the southwestern city of Quetta. This is a distance of only some 700 km, significanly less than the claimed range of up to 1,500 km/930 miles.
The Indian Test of the Agni II IRBM was conducted 11 April 1999. Pakistan responded on 14 Apr 1999 with a test firing of its Ghauri II missile from the Jhelum region in northeast Pakistan. The vehicle reportedly struck a target in the Baluchistan desert about 1,100 km. away. It would appear that if the missile was fired directly due east, the effect of the earth's rotation would give it a range of 1,240 km. Fired in a southerly direction towards major urban targets in India, it could reach a range of some 950 km - 1,120 km.
The US-based stratfor.com intelligence consulting company suggested that Pakistan may have test fired a missile [which could be a Ghauri] on 15 August 2000, when India was celebrating Independence Day. Objects streaking through the skies in Balucistan on that day were perhaps Ghauri-III missile tested by Islamabad, or perhaps they were merely a meteor shower.
On May 25, 2002, Pakistan conducted a test of the Ghauri. The test the first of a series of "routine" tests announced by the Pakistani Information Ministry and came as Inidia and Pakistan were involved in a tense standoff over Kashmir.
On May 29, 2004, Pakistan test fired a Hatf-5 (Ghauri) missile with the test reportedly aimed at improving the technical parameters of missile system.
On 04 June 2004 Pakistan test fired a Hatf-5 (Ghauri) missile.
On 12 October 2004 Pakistan test fired a Hatf-5 (Ghauri) missile. India was informed beforehand about the test. A military statement said "Pakistan this morning carried out another successful test of the indigenously produced intermediate range Ballistic Missile Hataf V (Ghauri)... [as] part of a series of tests planned for the Ghauri missile system. ... The test completely validated all the design parametres... "

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/pakistan/hatf-5.htm

Zaki

Country flag
Thats a good news for pakistan finally seeing regular test reports coming to media

any other new missile scheduled for test in the immediate future zaki
no actually they were refraining doing missile tests since past couple of years due to International pressure and the fact the whole world is watching our moves.

Only couple of secret cruise missile tests were conducted that were later on reported after 2 or 3 weeks giving a brief headline that Pakistan successfully conducted cruise missiles test on xx.xx.20xx

Usually we do not announce the testing date and usually conduct on short period of notice. I think the reason why we openly conducted a Ballistic missile test is the visit of Chinese Premier to Pakistan and assurance of $35 billion dollars worth of investment in next 5 years and thirdly we have to inform India before conducting a Ballistic Missile test. As you all know the War on Terror has hit our economy very badly so the we have to take issues with a lot more sensitivity comparing to our neighbors.

Zaki

Country flag
what was the need of that article divya?

may be you didn't like yet another successful test by Pakistan :(

divya

The most recent development in Pakistan's ballistic missile program was the flight testing of the Ghauri (Hatf-V) missile in April 1998. The Ghauri is liquid-fueled and is Pakistan's imported version of the North Korean Nodong, itself a fancy Scud. Official Pakistani statements claim the missile has a maximum range of 1500 km carrying a 700 kg payload, but analysis by the U.S. Department of Defense of the Nodong puts the range closer to 1000 km. According to Dr. A. Q. Khan, who is credited with being the father of Pakistan's nuclear and ballistic missile programs, the Ghauri flew 1100 km in its flight-test in April, supporting the Pentagon's analysis. Press reports put the tested range as being between 700 km and 1200 km.

The Ghauri is reported to have a relatively large diameter - 1.25 m. Pakistan is capable of producing nuclear warheads approximately the size of a soccer ball and weighing 400 kg, a size which would easily fit on a 1.25 m missile. Dr. Khan claims the Ghauri is now "fully operational." And when asked if Pakistan is now capable of deploying nuclear weapons, he replied, "No doubt about it, one should not be under any illusions." He said it could be done within "not months, not weeks, but within days."

North Korea has been an important missile partner for Pakistan. North Korea admitted publicly in June 1998 that it is developing and exporting ballistic missiles to make money, though it did not specify to whom. The Commission to Assess the Ballistic Missile Threat to the United States , led by the Honorable Donald Rumsfeld (Rumsfeld Commission), believes that in addition to supplying the Nodong, North Korea supplied production facilities for the missile. This enables Pakistan to indigenously produce a fleet of missiles and reduce its dependence on imports.

Intelligence and satellite images reportedly have revealed the delivery of warhead canisters from North Korea to Pakistan's Kahuta Research Laboratories (KRL) in June 1998 and have disclosed increased activity at KRL's missile facility, suggesting that production of the Ghauri may be in full swing. And U.S. intelligence has reportedly concluded that Pakistan received a shipment of maraging steel from Russia, useful for missile production, via the North Korean Changgwang Sinyong Corporation (aka North Korea Mining Development Trading Corporation). The United States Department of State imposed sanctions against both Changgwang Sinyong Corp. and KRL for this relationship.

In return for its help as a supplier, North Korea is able to receive performance data from Nodong tests by its customers. North Korea itself has only tested the Nodong once, to a 500 km range. But most important, Pyongyang receives hard currency, meaning that its exports will continue to fuel rogue states' missile programs.

http://www.wisconsinproject.org/countries/pakistan/missiles.html

divya

what was the need of that article divya?

may be you didn't like yet another successful test by Pakistan :(
Nah just posting the info which i got about the missiles. Hope some members can refute the data which i got over.....

Congrats on the successful test though :)

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
^
There is nothing to refute. Ghauri is the Nodong. Pak gave North Korea nuke tech, they gave them Nodong.

Zaki

Country flag
Nah just posting the info which i got about the missiles. Hope some members can refute the data which i got over.....

Congrats on the successful test though :)
yeah please carry on with your bashing :)
I have been hearing all this since 10 yeas now - indians try to claim its no-dong Pakistani prove its not... whatever it is

It will successfully hit its target when its launched :D

Bye for now

PS: Can't say same for Indian missiles though

divya

^
There is nothing to refute. Ghauri is the Nodong. Pak gave North Korea nuke tech, they gave them Nodong.
Am not the expert though but as far as i know The Ghauri is reported to have a relatively large diameter - 1.25 m.

divya

yeah please carry on with your bashing :)
I have been hearing all this since 10 yeas now - indians try to claim its no-dong Pakistani prove its not... whatever it is
Its aint bashing. I just posted the data which i got from global security. i dont think that it is biased source.

It will successfully hit its target when its launched :D
Agreed.
Bye for now

PS: Can't say same for Indian missiles though
Lets have thread for that?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Ok one thing is wierd. Ghauri is a liquid fueled missile (crap like Prithvi), yet they apparently developing new variants for ~3500km range. I thought they'll be going with the solid fueled Shaheen ?

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
All pakistani missile test are always successful, they are the only country where tests never fail, their technology has to be 10-20 yrs ahead, still they produce:

BTW Congrats on both the feats!!;;D

Last edited by a moderator:

S.A.T.A

The advantage of testing a missile on a defense ministry report is that irrespective of deficiency in technical skill,there little likelihood of such a test becoming unsuccessful on the report,unless you count a typo..........

Zaki

Country flag
Ok one thing is wierd. Ghauri is a liquid fueled missile (crap like Prithvi), yet they apparently developing new variants for ~3500km range. I thought they'll be going with the solid fueled Shaheen ?
There are two missile development programs in Pakistan

1) NESCOM having employees of 80,000 + (scientists and engineers)
2) Kahuta research Lab having employees of 12,000 +

One is working on Solid fuel missiles while the second on liquid fuel missiles

Funny thing is 100s of those scientists have studied in foreign Universities under the programs funded by the GoP in 1960s, 70s and 80s and some of them also worked under several International organisations before they joined Pakistan's missile development program. If I see the designs of Mercedes Benz and Lexus in pictures I feel like its a same car but you find the difference when you are sitting on the driver seat :)

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag

Funny thing is 100s of those scientists have studied in foreign Universities under the programs funded by the GoP in 1960s, 70s and 80s and some of them also worked under several International organisations before they joined Pakistan's missile development program. If I see the designs of Mercedes Benz and Lexus in pictures I feel like its a same car but you find the difference when you are sitting on the driver seat :)
please backup your claims with a source (A.k.a) citation or reference. because i think even Boeing and lockheed martin don't have 80,000 engineers.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Zaki said:

Funny thing is 100s of those scientists have studied in foreign Universities under the programs funded by the GoP in 1960s, 70s and 80s and some of them also worked under several International organisations before they joined Pakistan's missile development program. If I see the designs of Mercedes Benz and Lexus in pictures I feel like its a same car but you find the difference when you are sitting on the driver seat
My point was that liquid fueled ballistic missiles suck (they require many hours for prep up). No one is using them, India is replacing their Prithvis with Shauryas.

imo Pak is going to abandon the Ghauri and go with variants of the Shaheen

Pandora

Country flag
well i see pakistani missile industry providing biggest employment oppurunity unlike others buhahaha

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All pakistani missile test are always successful, they are the only country where tests never fail, their technology has to be 10-20 yrs ahead, still they produce:

BTW Congrats on both the feats!!;;D

Imagine that N. Korea gets this, and Pakistan get Ping Pong MBT. We are so doomed. :emot15:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles