Pak military delegation detained at US airport

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
A delegation of senior Pakistani military officials visiting the US was deboarded from a plane, detained, ''interrogated and rudely treated'' by security officials after one of them made a comment to a flight attendant, prompting the team to head home in protest.

The nine-member delegation of high-ranking Pakistani officers boarded United Airlines Flight 727 from the Dulles International Airport in Washington to Tampa yesterday, but were pulled off the plane, Mike Trevino, spokesman for the Airlines, was quoted as saying by 'The Washington Post'.

He said they were deboarded from the plane after one of them "made a comment to a flight attendant."

The delegation was to travel to Tampa, a Gulf Coast Bay city in the state of Florida, to attend the annual conference of the US-Pakistan Military Consultative Committee.
Though the spokesman refused to provide details, Pakistani officials said the remark came from a General in the delegation.

The General, weary of a long day of travel that began in Islamabad, said "I hope this is my last flight," or words to that effect.

That sparked a call to Dulles law enforcement officials, who "detained the delegation for two-and-a-half hours and refused to allow the officials to contact their embassy or the US military officials who had invited them to visit", the Post quoted an unnamed Pakistani military official as saying.

The Pakistanis were finally released after police at Dulles determined they did not pose a threat.But instead of proceeding to Tampa, the delegation was ordered to return to Pakistan by their military superiors in Islamabad, in protest of their treatment, the Pakistani official said, adding that they were "verbally abused."

The Post said the delegation members alleged they were "interrogated and rudely treated by security officials at Dulles International Airport."The officers are scheduled to depart the US this evening.

"Pakistani officials said they received apologies from Pentagon and Centcom officials," the Post said.

The officers were originally en route to US Central Command headquarters in Tampa to attend the annual conference, said Maj David Nevers, a Central Command spokesman.
He said Centcom officials hoped to reschedule the conference

deepak75

He said they were deboarded from the plane after one of them "made a comment to a flight attendant."
The General, weary of a long day of travel that began in Islamabad, said "I hope this is my last flight," or words to that effect.
An innocent mess-communication :happy_2:

The Pakistanis were finally released after police at Dulles determined they did not pose a threat.But instead of proceeding to Tampa, the delegation was ordered to return to Pakistan by their military superiors in Islamabad, in protest of their treatment, the Pakistani official said, adding that they were "verbally abused."

The General is definitely not an oracle...... it was afterall surely not his last flight. Talk about having a bad day....

And seriously:

What purpose did the cancelling of the visit serve? Just wasted money on the tickets and also the opportunity to get some sympathies from the Generals at Pentagon. Ostrich Thinking.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
A delegation of senior Pakistani military officials visiting the US was deboarded from a plane, detained, ''interrogated and rudely treated'' by security officials after one of them made a comment to a flight attendant, prompting the team to head home in protest.

The nine-member delegation of high-ranking Pakistani officers boarded United Airlines Flight 727 from the Dulles International Airport in Washington to Tampa yesterday, but were pulled off the plane, Mike Trevino, spokesman for the Airlines, was quoted as saying by 'The Washington Post'.

The delegation was to travel to Tampa, a Gulf Coast Bay city in the state of Florida, to attend the annual conference of the US-Pakistan Military Consultative Committee.
Though the spokesman refused to provide details, Pakistani officials said the remark came from a General in the delegation.

That sparked a call to Dulles law enforcement officials, who "detained the delegation for two-and-a-half hours and refused to allow the officials to contact their embassy or the US military officials who had invited them to visit", the Post quoted an unnamed Pakistani military official as saying.

The Post said the delegation members alleged they were "interrogated and rudely treated by security officials at Dulles International Airport."The officers are scheduled to depart the US this evening.

"Pakistani officials said they received apologies from Pentagon and Centcom officials," the Post said.

The officers were originally en route to US Central Command headquarters in Tampa to attend the annual conference, said Maj David Nevers, a Central Command spokesman.
He said Centcom officials hoped to reschedule the conference
HAHAHAAHAHA! Oh man! Americans are getting really touchy aren't they? What in the world was that for? =xD I mean the diplomats were an official delegation from another country. And I still don't understand what is the reason for canceling the flight. The one who made the comment was a military general from Pakistani Army. Looks like Pakistani authorities are now losing even diplomatic immunity. :emot117:

Solid Beast

Ah. Now kindly tell this low ranking general and his dipshit colleagues to never board another flight, in the garb of or with attention of, impersonating a Pakistani, ever again. Just come forth as the terrorists you are in your towel and kalashnikov next time, Hakimullah Mehsud ke bachon.

bhramos

Country flag
Pak Army officials call off US visit after being misbehaved

Pakistani military delegation heads home in protest after Dulles incident

A delegation of senior Pakistani military officials visiting the United States for a major defense conference headed home in protest Tuesday night after they said they were interrogated and rudely treated by security officials at Dulles International Airport.

The nine-member group of high-ranking Pakistani officers boarded United Airlines Flight 727 from Washington to Tampa late Sunday but were pulled off the plane after one of them "made a comment to a flight attendant," said Mike Trevino, a United spokesman.

United did not provide details, but Pakistani officials said the remark came from a general in the delegation who - weary of a long day of travel that began in Islamabad - said, "I hope this is my last flight," or words to that effect.

That sparked a call to Dulles law enforcement officials, who detained the delegation for 2.5 hours and refused to allow the officials to contact their embassy or the U.S. military officials who had invited them to visit, according to a Pakistani military official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Pakistanis were finally released after police at Dulles determined they did not pose a threat. But instead of proceeding to Tampa, the delegation was ordered to return to Pakistan by their military superiors in Islamabad, in protest of their treatment, the Pakistani official said, adding that they were "verbally abused." The group of officers spent the next 48 hours in Washington, waiting for the next available flight home, and were scheduled to depart the United States on Tuesday evening.

The Pakistani officers were originally en route to U.S. Central Command headquarters in Tampa to attend the annual conference of the U.S.-Pakistan Military Consultative Committee, said Maj. David Nevers, a Central Command spokesman. He said Centcom officials hoped to reschedule the conference.

Pakistani officials said they received apologies from Pentagon and Centcom officials.

washingtonpost.com

bhramos

Country flag
Pak Army officials call off US visit after being misbehaved

RAWALPINDI: A delegation, comprising officials from Pakistan Army, has resolved cancellation of US visit after they were mishandled by US officials of Transport Security at Washington Airport, Geo News reported.

According to Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) sources, a delegation of Pakistan Army was invited to Central Command meeting in US where delegation announced calling off visit after arrival at Washington airport when US security officials misbehaved Pakistan army officials.

Delegation has been called back to country.

Meanwhile, US Defense Department has strongly deplored the incident, sources said.
Pak Army officials call off US visit after being misbehaved - GEO.tv

Rebelkid

not gonna blame pak army officers, US are in anyway paranoid after 9/11 ..

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Even though my hate for pak as a country is never ending i find usa behaviour unacceptable...first of all they cant differentiate between arab, paki and indian and always look at us with suspicious eyes.

First we have step aside for extra "searching" because of racial profiling and even after that inside plane we are viewed suspiciously.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I don't think the Pakistani general was at fault nor the military brass of Pakistan. Post 9/11 Stewards have become Tyrants !

Solid Beast

I don't think the Pakistani general was at fault nor the military brass of Pakistan. Post 9/11 Stewards have become Tyrants !
You haven't eaten blowback from their policies or abuse of power bro. If the military did not intervene in policy making for the pivotal moment post Soviet world, we would not be in this situation right now.

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
HAHAHAAHAHA! Oh man! Americans are getting really touchy aren't they? What in the world was that for? =xD I mean the diplomats were an official delegation from another country. And I still don't understand what is the reason for canceling the flight. The one who made the comment was a military general from Pakistani Army. Looks like Pakistani authorities are now losing even diplomatic immunity. :emot117:

on one hand the usa trusts pakistan , on the other hand they dont - what a muddled frame of mind - i'm no fan of the prc , but i find they are a heck of a lot better coordinated ! which is a bit frightnening in itself .

Neil

Country flag
not gonna blame pak army officers, US are in anyway paranoid after 9/11 ..
nah man...its not after 9/11...its mainly because of time square bomb plot and Christmas day bombing attempt....they have just lost their mind....and consider any south Asian as terrorist....

Country flag
Many innocent people living abroad are suffering for this kind of behavior,many South Asians(pakistanis) spent much more time at the airport then the usual traveller going thru extra security and baggage checks.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Though I sympathise with Pakistani Army officers, I feel that there is a tremendous lesson for all brown and black people especially Muslims .Never talk to any flight attendant

What was the need for detaining them for 2 and half hours.

Americans truly practice what INTEL PRESIDENT Andrew Grove said " ONLY THE PARANOID SURVIVE"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles