P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I believe India doesn't operate any UCAV's, our UAV's are just for R and O roles.
One of the reason for lack of long rage UAV is lack of navigation satellite more over UAV with range more than 300 Km are also not importable, we have to manufacture some thing like the Rustam MALE also we need our own dedicated navigation satallite to navigate it.

though correct me if I am wrong.

Auberon

One of the reason for lack of long rage UAV is lack of navigation satellite more over UAV with range more than 300 Km are also not importable, we have to manufacture some thing like the Rustam MALE also we need our own dedicated navigation satallite to navigate it.

though correct me if I am wrong.
AFAIK Rustom is also not a weaponized concept, just for RO.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
AFAIK Rustom is also not a weaponized concept, just for RO.
eer.. currently not but the current model in Aero India 09 looks promising if ever goes on production.

Country flag
With the range of P8 being lesser than the current TU 144, the Navy will soon have a requirement for longer range platform.
Yusuf since these could refuel in mid-air it may not be necessary, they can go 5000 miles on one fueling and come back with one mid air fueling, this is enough for us to cover China.

Country flag
it is an exact slide given to India by Boeing as a part of a presentation prior to the sale.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I highly doubt that such planes would be allowed to use refulling pods since the becomes intercontinental bombers than.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Correction on the thread... we currently use Tu-142M and not Tu-144 as mentioned in the earlier posts...

Country flag
I highly doubt that such planes would be allowed to use refulling pods since the becomes intercontinental bombers than.

True we don't know the conditions but if USA has problems with China the conditions could change and it would never be known what or if the conditions ever were, Also if pakistan can deliver nukes modifying F-16's and receive more F-16's by charity than we can do whatever we want since we own it.

Country flag
Mid-air refuellers add to India’s economic clout

Auberon i know what point you are trying to make(distance) but that point will remain a mystery only for our enemies to find out. To me this plane is for China specifically and it adds another possible delivery vehicle to our arsenal and the more i read about it the more i love it, even without mid air refueing we would still access south china sea.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Mid-air-refuellers-add-to-India%92s-economic-clout/315965

Mid-air refuellers add to India’s economic clout
Vinod Mathew Posted: May 29, 2008 at 0052 hrs IST

Pune, May 28: With IAF’s latest acquisition, the IL-78 M mid-air refuellers, fully operational, New Delhi deep-penetration air strike capability has crossed the range of its Agni strategic missile. Multi-role Sukhoi 30 MKI fighters can now fly non-stop for nine hours and target 5,400 kilometers away from Indian territory. This is a step towards New Delhi acquiring the promised strategic capability as the first PHALCON AWACS (airborne early warning system) is to be inducted into IAF later this year from Israel.

But the IAF would rather downplay this important milestone as it feels that India’s strategic reach capability is not merely about how far into the enemy territory our Su MKI 30s, Mirages and Jaguars with nuke-weapon carrying capability can reach. Just as there is no denying the military advantage of strategising how deep into, say, Chinese mainland our fighter aircraft can fly by hugging the international waters for air-to-air refueling, it is also about finding out how best to deploy this primary advantage during peacetime.

“The benefits from our A-2-A refuelling capability should be viewed as much from the economic perspective as from a military one. With growing importance of the Indian Ocean due to its sizeable maritime hydrocarbon traffic and the country’s growing stature as a global economic power, our deep reach capability has many ramifications. Consider, for instance, busy shipping channels like the Strait of Hormuz, Malaccan Straits or the Sunda Bay where in the conceivable future we could have interests and the acquired capability gives us a definite edge,” Air Commodore K.P. Nair, commandant of the Lohegaon airbase that is home to a good percentage of Sukhoi-30 MKIs (the other being Bareilly), told The Indian Express.

Giving credence to this theory, one route that is presently frequented from the Pune airbase is to the Car Nicobar base in Andamans, which is merely 45 miles from Banda Aceh, an Indonesian island.

Nair said his squadron had already raised the benchmark for such sorties to over six hours. At an average flying speed of 900 km an hour, this means these sorties are doing up to 5,400 km, perhaps more. Having flown to a number of European destinations and even across the Atlantic, the Indian A-2-A refueling capability has already achieved a global reach, he said. The Indian government’s decision to go for a two-seater fighter was to keep each other company at the time radio silence is on.

The Sukhois can be airborne for a maximum of nine hours at one go, with refuelling. This is borne in mind when planning the rendezvous with the IL-78s. As one IL-78 allows only three simultaneous plug-ons, the number of aircraft used in the sorties is decided by the availability of the refuellers,” Nair said.

At another level, the deep reach capability is also about having more options to locate our resources in ‘depth airfields’ such as Bangalore and Thiruvananthapuram, far removed from the critical borders, he said. “This takes on crucial significance as we keep adding more Sukhois to the existing fleet,” he said.

Meanwhile, flying the fighter aircraft in and out of Pune and across the civilian space is not difficult as the flight routes are filed a day in advance with the civil aviation authorities, Nair said. “We fly as much by night though it requires better skills. Also, we have kept a daily low-flying window of 8 a.m. to 10 30 a.m. during which time there are no civilian flights at the Pune airport,” he said.

Auberon

Auberon i know what point you are trying to make(distance) but that point will remain a mystery only for our enemies to find out. To me this plane is for China specifically and it adds another possible delivery vehicle to our arsenal and the more i read about it the more i love it, even without mid air refueing we would still access south china sea.

No my friend, I was only pointing out that it cannot go 5000 miles in one fuelling as you stated, merely 1381 miles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles