Overweight personnel 'public embarrassment': Army

pmaitra

Overweight personnel 'public embarrassment': Army

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...c-embarrassment-army/articleshow/53971086.cms
NEW DELHI: Army has brought out heavy artillery to fight the growing problem of obesity within its ranks. A new set of instructions said overweight personnel were a "public embarrassment due to slovenly appearance in uniform".
Stung with observations from the top echelons of the government on the expanding waistlines of some officers, the Army HQ has prescribed stringent steps to check a "trend on the increase". "The issue has serious ramifications, not only affecting combat readine ..
The instructions for 'enforcement measures to help check the menace of obesity' have been sent for comments to all Army Commands. Officers and soldiers will be subjected to an annual obesity evaluation examination in case they 'appear to be overweight' and a set of photographs would be attached to their evaluation files.
Among the methods prescribed are a bar on overweight personnel to be considered for foreign postings, career courses or even tenures at 'A Class' cities. Overweight personnel will not be allowed for reemployment and would lose out on career advancement. Sources told ET that the crackdown is a personal initiative of Army chief Dalbir Singh, who is known for his exceptional fitness who still finds time to run 10 km daily.

Comments were also made on expanding waistlines by top echelons of the government at an event in the Capital earlier this year.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag is an example for everyone to emulate. Even at his age, he is remarkably fit.

It looks like he has a six-pack.
LOL, I just Google searched ''General Suhag without Shirt" after reading your post. Though couldn't getting any desired photograph.:biggrin2:

pmaitra

LOL, I just Google searched ''General Suhag without Shirt" after reading your post. Though couldn't getting any desired photograph.:biggrin2:
Here is another picture for comparison. Look how fit Gen. Suhag is compared to at least two other soldiers who are much younger.

Another picture for comparison.

Last edited:

Bahamut

Army is consider to put waist restriction on all persernal

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
No matter what those fitness centers tell you, Six-pack is not natural.
Why not?
Look at the farmer working the fields, he might have a "six-pack."
What you meant to say is that today's gym-body six-pack fad is obnoxious.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
irreverent & Unnecessary specifically for high brass ..

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
There is a difference between overweight and obese, if one speaks strictly in medical terms. Don't think anyone in the army is medically obese.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag is an example for everyone to emulate. Even at his age, he is remarkably fit.

View attachment 10131

It looks like he has a six-pack.
I've seen a lot of serving higher-ups with pot bellies, a lot of these are visible in Youtube also, just pick any video dealing with strategic issues which has panelists from army, some retired some serving, but they have they typical 'Indian male belly'. If their work involves sitting in an office and formulating war strategies and micro managing other men and material, why should it matter if they have a belly?

I don't have bookmarks for the Youtube videos but I found some images to support my claim :

indiatester

Country flag
Regardless of whether they are senior or just strategists, the armed forces are supposed to be disciplined and fit. Fat bellies give a wrong impression to everyone inside and outside. I find the current efforts worthwhile.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
. If their work involves sitting in an office and formulating war strategies and micro managing other men and material, why should it matter if they have a belly?
Look at the infographic. It says obesity has kept some officers from visiting difficult border posts.
Also, it says even some COs are also not fit. Hence it does matter.
As a side-note, cutting obesity is necessary as Army officers are often looked upon as model citizens. They are an inspiration to us all.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles