Outrage Over Video of Blocked Fire Engine in China

Tronic

I can tell you that in Bangalore, they are usually given right of way - drivers generally allow the ambulance to pass by. I have seen this happening 3-4 times in the last few months itself.
That is really good to hear, but than from the things I hear, I also believe that people in South India usually tend to have more civic sense than their northern brethren.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is really good to hear, but than from the things I hear, I also believe that people in South India usually tend to have more civic sense than their northern brethren.
I got nabbed by the police for jaywalking on Mount Road in Madras!

He let me go when he learnt that I was not from Madras! :shocked:

But he made be go 550 yds away where there was the crossing.

At the crossroads in Madras, if you are in a car or scooter, you have to stop and then go after checking the traffic.

Yes they have more civic sense and I admire them for that!

Again from my experience of the 1970s.

I don't know the latest!

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I think, what India (Indian society actually) needs more than anything else, is a healthy dose of discipline.

Standing in line, following traffic rules, not littering, forming "lines" instead of "groups", wearing the seat belt as mandated by law, etc. If there was one thing I would wish for in Indian society on an urgent basis, it would be discipline. Maybe compulsory military training in colleges and institutions might help. :heh: Impractical, I know - but something needs to be done to inculcate discipline on an urgent basis.

And now, this thread has completely become an Indian discussion, maybe the mods would like to move these posts to some Indian civic discussion or something. :lol:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China is a great country, but they are in a hurry!

And if everyone is in a hurry then clashes of interest do take place!

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I got nabbed by the police for jaywalking on Mount Road in Madras!

He let me go when he learnt that I was not from Madras! :shocked:

But he made be go 550 yds away where there was the crossing.

At the crossroads in Madras, if you are in a car or scooter, you have to stop and then go after checking the traffic.

Yes they have more civic sense and I admire them for that!

Again from my experience of the 1970s.

I don't know the latest!
The latest is not as good as it was in those days - neither in Madras, nor Bangalore. :tsk: I don't think you will find this kind of enforcement today. :tsk:

But all the same, in my honest opinion, it is a dozen times better than Delhi.

Tronic

I can tell you about Bangalore in the 1974 -75 days.

I was riding pillion with a friend and the scooter slid on an oil patch in front of ASC Centre South.

We were thrown on the road and my friends was bleeding and he passed out.

All the traffic stopped! Yes, all the traffic stopped.

There were a whole lot of chaps who came to help.

They took us to the AF Hospital nearby and got us admitted and one pickup truck brought the scooter there and gave me the key.

So, that shows civic sense.

Now contrast this incident from 1974 Bangalore to an incident which took place in Patiala barely a few months ago. About 4-5 months back, driving on Sirhind-Patiala road, right before you enter the city, we reached a place with blood on the road and a totally crushed Enfield lying by the roadside. We asked the people what had happened, and they told us that a car had just hit a young chap on the bike, but had than stopped, and volunteered to take the bleeding man to the hospital, since there were no other cars around.

Sadly, after we saw the news, it turned out that that car never actually reached the hospital. They took the injured person and actually threw him in the Badson Canal (quite a major canal which serves Patiala district)!! The chaps around had taken the cars number and they were quick to report it to the police and the people were arrested! Unfortunately the victim's body was not found, atleast at the time. I don't know about now; but a sad example nevertheless.

The reasons I believe also have to do with the Punjab Police culture of the past. The police would actually blame the people who had helped the victim and pin any incident on them! However, this has greatly changed, but the fear in the people has still not completely gone. This was more evident when my uncle once took people injured in an accident to the hospital, but doing so, he left my grandmother to wait at nearby shops. The people in the shops spent the next two hours telling her how the Police would now blame everything on my uncle and file a case against him, and how he shouldn't have taken them to the hospital and gotten involved. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But then it is Punjab!

I was travelling in an AC coach (Satabdi - chair) in winter in the Punjab.

All were shivering since the AC was at full blast!

A Sardarji in front of me had wrapped his pug with a blanket.

I asked the man sitting next to me why the hell does the attendant not put the AC temperature down?

He said, "Na ji Na, Yeh Punjabi hai. Paisa ke pura asool karna hai".

Well, that is Punjabi logic!

As I said they are unique!

Between you and me, is there anything logical in the Punjab?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Well, I am glad that Ray is talking about hygiene, which in fact is a very important issue. And Chinese realised the importance of that issue at least 100 years ago accordting to Ray.

Sun Yatsen (1866-1925), considered the founding father of modern China, was convinced that "competent governance of the body's natural functions" was a "necessary condition for competent government"
BUt I feel rather puzzled that Ray made no mention about the hygiene in India, after all we all know that India hardly made a good example in this regard. People must still feel familiar with the CWG which was boycotted for the hygiene problems.

amitkriit

Well, I am glad that Ray is talking about hygiene, which in fact is a very important issue. And Chinese realised the importance of that issue at least 100 years ago accordting to Ray.

BUt I feel rather puzzled that Ray made no mention about the hygiene in India, after all we all know that India hardly made a good example in this regard. People must still feel familiar with the CWG which was boycotted for the hygiene problems.
Which world are you living in?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
People must still feel familiar with the CWG which was boycotted for the hygiene problems.
Neither was CWG boycotted, nor was "hygiene" the issue there.

Arguing is fine, but argue with facts and truths, not with false stuff.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
People must still feel familiar with the CWG which was boycotted for the hygiene problems.
Yeah the Chinese totally boycotted it............oh wait!

Blackwater

But then it is Punjab!

I asked the man sitting next to me why the hell does the attendant not put the AC temperature down?

that's bull shit Ray. AC may on due to some technical problem..

Tronic

But then it is Punjab!

The man was obviously pulling your leg sir.

By the way, excuse me from being too technical but AC does not necessarily mean air cooled. In winter, air conditioning = heating, while in summer, air conditioning = cooling. That is why it is called air conditioned. ;)

When I traveled to Rajasthan by train, the heat was on full blast while in Punjab but as we got further South and into Rajasthan, heat turned into air cooling, as the weather got hot down there.

You're right.

Too much alcohol killed too many brain cells.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well, It was air conditioned to cook when I travelled!

And it was no joke. The man was serious. He owns the biggest car showroom in Ludhiana is what he told me he did!

pmaitra

I see you BadGuy2000. You are seeing this thread. Have not seen you post lately. Have you been hiding in a cave all winter?

pmaitra

It is true that motorists in South Indian cities are more 'civilised' than North Indian cities (not using that in a condescending way). The cleanest railway stations are in Kerala, followed by Himachal Pradesh. Kalka area is total trash though.

Most of the North Indian cities are chaotic and aggressive.

I have seen the traffic police fine a car driver for spitting on the road near President's House. I have always loved the cleanliness of Chanakyapuri area. Old Delhi is also trash. One North Indian city I absolutely loved in Chandigarh. Stands out. Gurgaon was also nice, but seemed rather 'concretised' and lifeless.

The rudest suburban commuters can be found in the Calcutta and Mumbai region. Try boarding a Virar Fast from Borivali. Those buggers will not let anyone from Borivali board the train, even if there was space inside. They'd stand at the entrance and block it. If I were the Railways Minister, I'd have all of them arrested and sent off to work in road building projects in the Indo-Tibetan border - no kidding!

My stay in Kerala was a breeze. Fantastic people, very cooperative and helpful. Nowhere in the whole of India have I seen women confidently approach men and start a conversation. Perhaps there is more gender equality than the rest of India. I never spoke more than a few phrases in Malayalam, but I never feared going out all by myself. Even the slums are spotlessly tidy and clean. The only place that scores above Kerala in gender equality or women's empowerment is Meghalaya, but for traditional and historical reasons, and their tribal customs, which is often matriarchal.

Of all the news of hooliganism that we hear from the so called 'cow belt,' having lived in Patna for two years and travelled extensively by train, I cherish those wonderful memories. We used to go travelling on the metre-gauge trains north of the Ganga River. While people rushed in to grab seats, my dad would slide me in through the window (those had no bars) and I would hold one place while my dad would climb in peacefully. We were not always lucky to get a seat, but always got a place to sit because the villagers were kind enough to offer us a couple of seats. These kind gestures from the village folk of Bihar, unfortunately, hardly gets mentioned.

Anyway, I talked a lot about my experiences about public courtesy in general and I believe if there is a soul, anyone can be a good samaritan. In an ideal world, if all the citizens were enlightened, one would not need laws making it mandatory for vehicles to pull over and let ambulances or fire-trucks pass by. In reality, the common people, in the wake of 'progress' has lost common sense (in the somewhat twisted words of Lenin, if you don't mind me saying that). This reminds of the Anna thread, where only three people stood up and opined that the problem was with the electors as much as with the electees.

Peace!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I see you too, Badguy!

Are you a railwayman?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
that's bull shit Ray. AC may on due to some technical problem..
It is bullshit to you true.

You were not travelling.

I was!

I am not a Railway mechanic to have your experience of air condition control!

p2prada

I can tell you about Bangalore in the 1974 -75 days.

I was riding pillion with a friend and the scooter slid on an oil patch in front of ASC Centre South.

We were thrown on the road and my friends was bleeding and he passed out.

There were a whole lot of chaps who came to help.

They took us to the AF Hospital nearby and got us admitted and one pickup truck brought the scooter there and gave me the key.

So, that shows civic sense.

And the flip side.

We were in a queue to see an English movie.

Everyone was in line.
It is almost still the same.

Now only this hurts a lot.
Overall, you will see only South Indians at an accident spot. Never a North Indian, unless he in involved in it.

A great bunch of guys, heck I am a North Indian.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag

but its not blocked in India......
hehehehe....;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles