Our Home from 114 million miles away

Rebelkid

Date Acquired: May 6, 2010
Image Mission Elapsed Time (MET): 181616382
Instrument: Wide Angle Camera (WAC) of the Mercury Dual Imaging System (MDIS)
WAC Filter: 2 (clear filter)
Field of View: The WAC has a 10.5° field of view

Of Interest: In the lower left portion of this image, the Earth can be seen, as well as the much smaller Moon to Earth's right. When MESSENGER took this image, a distance of 183 million kilometers (114 million miles) separated the spacecraft and Earth. To provide context for this distance, the average separation between the Earth and the Sun is about 150 million kilometers (93 million miles). Though it is a beautiful, thought-provoking picture, viewing our planet from far away was not the main reason that the mission team planned the collection of this image. Instead, this image was acquired as part of MESSENGER's campaign to search for vulcanoids, small rocky objects that have been postulated to exist in orbits between Mercury and the Sun. Though no vulcanoids have yet been detected, the MESSENGER spacecraft is in a unique position to look for smaller and fainter vulcanoids than has ever before been possible. MESSENGER's vulcanoid searches occur near perihelion passages, when the spacecraft's orbit brings it closest to the Sun. Today is another such perihelion, and MESSENGER is taking a new set of images to search for tiny asteroids lurking close to the Sun.

StealthSniper

The Most Important Image Ever Taken

Last edited by a moderator:

samarsingh

in this forum we discuss "superpowers" and geopolitics, but the truth is this image, awesome image very humbling, forces one to stop and think

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Earth will unite when aliens show up....till then we will fight amongst ourselves.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Earth will unite when aliens show up....till then we will fight amongst ourselves.
Human nature is quite intriguing....THERE WILL NOT BE ANY "INDEPENDENCE DAY" here......Dont be surprised if some humans actually conspires against fellow humans in support of aliens.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Human nature is quite intriguing....THERE WILL NOT BE ANY "INDEPENDENCE DAY" here......Dont be surprised if some humans actually conspires against fellow humans in support of aliens.
I can see pak conspiring with aliens against India and other humans.

They will literally sell there souls to the devil to do one over India.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
There might be some living organisms on other planets but we will never know about them until unless we or them reach one another. Right now, we don't have that kind of technology to reach others but not sure if others have it. We need technology something like they show in Star-Trek, Starship troopers or even Starwars to actually reach these planets. Even with our rocket technology, we have not even went beyond our solar system which is just a drop in a ocean, one can imagine how big this universe is. I will be very happy if we discover a life form in other planets one or the other day. It will tell us that we are not alone in this universe.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
you forgot stargate...its the most realistic of the lot.

dont worry we will get there...in only 100 years we went from wright brothers aircraft to space flight!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
you forgot stargate...its the most realistic of the lot.

dont worry we will get there...in only 100 years we went from wright brothers aircraft to space flight!
I don't see stargate kind of system as practical. Its not even possible theoretically. I envision future star ships with hypersonic velocity for space travel. That's the most practical that it can get for humans to visit other planets and come back safely.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles