Opposition gathers against India's UNSC push

SHASH2K2

NEW DELHI: As India's push for a permanent seat in the UN Security Council gathers pace, the opposition too is gearing up for battle.

In May, Italy has invited the group of countries known as 'United for Consensus' to a meeting in Rome to chart out a strategy in the UN that can halt the momentum of the G-4 countries (India, Brazil, Germany and Japan) to reform the UN's apex body.

Much more importantly, China has sent off demarches to UN missions asking everyone to put the brakes on the UNSC reform process. Sources said that since March, southeast Asian countries have been repeatedly reminded by China that UNSC expansion should take its time, and be the result of a "broad consensus". Its not clear yet whether China has been invited to the meet in Italy. It's unlikely, but if it happens, even at an observer level, it will be a red rag to G-4 countries.

China is the only P-5 member to continue to oppose the G-4's UNSC ambitions. After US President Barack Obama endorsed India's candidature, the US effectively stepped off the bench, leaving China as the sole dissenter.

At the recent BRICS summit, China and Russia said in the joint communique that they "supported" the G-4's ambitions. None of the P-5 countries are wild about changing the Security Council, but recognize that its membership represents an obsolete global order.

The UFC group used to be called the 'Coffee Club' and includes Pakistan, Indonesia, Iran, South Korea, Iran, Turkey, Egypt, Algeria, Italy, Spain, Canada, Mexico and Argentina.

An official from one of the countries said they wanted a regional solution which would take care of a distortion in the UN Security Council -- if Germany makes it to the UNSC, it will be the third European country in the body, at a time when Europe is diminishing in importance globally.

India believes that it will get over 128 votes necessary to pass a resolution in the UNGA pushing the new text of the intergovernmental text-based negotiations. The latest version is a 5-page document which lists the different options on Council expansion.

Meanwhile, India has stepped up its UN diplomacy considerably. Foreign minister S M Krishna will be lobbying hard at the conference of the LDCs (least developed countries) to be held in Turkey in May. At a special meeting with the LDCs in Delhi in April, India pushed for their support.

India will repeat the message with the 53-member African Union also in May when India hosts an India-Africa summit in Addis Ababa. Even the small island states have not escaped India's attention. Indian officials are confident of India's prospects.

The road ahead is complex. Even if the UNGA votes for the text, it will only be the beginning of difficult negotiations on the nature of the reform.

The other difficulty is Africa. The G-4 plan envisages two seats for Africa, but the African Union is still to make up its mind. South Africa and Nigeria, two contenders for the UNSC, are both in the Security Council this year as are all the G-4 aspirants -- a first in history.

SHASH2K2

So its back to century old policy of Divide and rule . China is back to what they are best at. saying something on face and doing exactly opposite to it.

badguy2000

Respected Member

NEW DELHI: As India's push for a permanent seat in the UN Security Council gathers pace, the opposition too is gearing up for battle.

In May, Italy has invited the group of countries known as 'United for Consensus' to a meeting in Rome to chart out a strategy in the UN that can halt the momentum of the G-4 countries (India, Brazil, Germany and Japan) to reform the UN's apex body.

Much more importantly, China has sent off demarches to UN missions asking everyone to put the brakes on the UNSC reform process. Sources said that since March, southeast Asian countries have been repeatedly reminded by China that UNSC expansion should take its time, and be the result of a "broad consensus". Its not clear yet whether China has been invited to the meet in Italy. It's unlikely, but if it happens, even at an observer level, it will be a red rag to G-4 countries.

China is the only P-5 member to continue to oppose the G-4's UNSC ambitions. After US President Barack Obama endorsed India's candidature, the US effectively stepped off the bench, leaving China as the sole dissenter.

At the recent BRICS summit, China and Russia said in the joint communique that they "supported" the G-4's ambitions. None of the P-5 countries are wild about changing the Security Council, but recognize that its membership represents an obsolete global order.

The UFC group used to be called the 'Coffee Club' and includes Pakistan, Indonesia, Iran, South Korea, Iran, Turkey, Egypt, Algeria, Italy, Spain, Canada, Mexico and Argentina.

An official from one of the countries said they wanted a regional solution which would take care of a distortion in the UN Security Council -- if Germany makes it to the UNSC, it will be the third European country in the body, at a time when Europe is diminishing in importance globally.

India believes that it will get over 128 votes necessary to pass a resolution in the UNGA pushing the new text of the intergovernmental text-based negotiations. The latest version is a 5-page document which lists the different options on Council expansion.

Meanwhile, India has stepped up its UN diplomacy considerably. Foreign minister S M Krishna will be lobbying hard at the conference of the LDCs (least developed countries) to be held in Turkey in May. At a special meeting with the LDCs in Delhi in April, India pushed for their support.

India will repeat the message with the 53-member African Union also in May when India hosts an India-Africa summit in Addis Ababa. Even the small island states have not escaped India's attention. Indian officials are confident of India's prospects.

The road ahead is complex. Even if the UNGA votes for the text, it will only be the beginning of difficult negotiations on the nature of the reform.

The other difficulty is Africa. The G-4 plan envisages two seats for Africa, but the African Union is still to make up its mind. South Africa and Nigeria, two contenders for the UNSC, are both in the Security Council this year as are all the G-4 aspirants -- a first in history.
I can not help lauching.....none of P5 really wants to accept the expansion of UNSC.......all their oral support of G4 are cheap talking...

SHASH2K2

I can not help lauching.....none of P5 really wants to accept the expansion of UNSC.......all their oral support of G4 are cheap talking...
At least they are not sending demarche to sabotage the expansion plans.Why do they need to act like a villian when we have china among us?

SHASH2K2

Did you really believe them??
I knew they will not openly oppose Indian candidature but will create some other blockade like opposing Japanese candidature or trying to include some other countries in expansion plans. I would prefer to trust a snake but wont trust ***** and *******.

Country flag
I knew they will not openly oppose Indian candidature but will create some other blockade like opposing Japanese candidature or trying to include some other countries in expansion plans. I would prefer to trust a snake but wont trust ***** and *******.
USA and Europe have more influence then China and since they need India and Japan to cap China they will find some way to get the anti chinese alliance in.

SHASH2K2

USA and Europe have more influence then China and since they need India and Japan to cap China they will find some way to get the anti chinese alliance in.
What I feel is that China is trying to get few of its own candidates into Security council. I think It will concentrate in African continent as its very crucial area for its future growth . Lots of raw materials and a future market as well.

ganesh177

Country flag
India believes that it will get over 128 votes necessary to pass a resolution in the UNGA pushing the new text of the intergovernmental text-based negotiations.
As i remember that for cwg rights india distributed money to all the voting nations to vote in india's favour and bagged the cwg rights.
This is another event i wud not mind the distribution of money for votes. Especially for those poor african nation, each of one will give single invaluable vote for few bucks or assurances.

Our leaders are good only in this department, distributing money and buying votes, for the first time this skill of our useless leaders will be useful for india on international platform. :becky:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
MRCA finalists are EF and rafale. The ground rules change now ............ :D

Country flag
What I feel is that China is trying to get few of its own candidates into Security council. I think It will concentrate in African continent as its very crucial area for its future growth . Lots of raw materials and a future market as well.

Does China have that kind of clout?? They are 1 of 5 on the P5, playing the spoiler against USA ,this will give USA a good opportunity to pay China back.

SHASH2K2

MRCA finalists are EF and rafale. The ground rules change now ............ :D
nitesh sir lests presume that deal goes to rafale . what will be response of rest of Europe. I dont think they will be happy on behalf of france. And if it goes to EADS then France wont be happy . Most unhappy will be USA . I think MRCA will only complicate UNSC issue for us.

SHASH2K2

Does China have that kind of clout?? They are 1 of 5 on the P5, playing the spoiler against USA ,this will give USA a good opportunity to pay China back.
USA cannot force China to blindly vote for UNSC expansion. They will either ask for inclusion or exclusion of some countries and it will create lots of complications which cannot be imagined as of now.

Country flag
USA cannot force China to blindly vote for UNSC expansion. They will either ask for inclusion or exclusion of some countries and it will create lots of complications which cannot be imagined as of now.
USA was never interested in expanding just used it for political reason like scaring China or winning MRCA they never had any plans for expansion and I still doubt they do now.

pmaitra

Ok, so looks like the media has been playing into this carrot dangling game and pumping up our expectations.

Is there anything India can do now so that the guy in the 'car', if you will, eventually is India?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
nitesh sir lests presume that deal goes to rafale . what will be response of rest of Europe. I dont think they will be happy on behalf of france. And if it goes to EADS then France wont be happy . Most unhappy will be USA . I think MRCA will only complicate UNSC issue for us.
No sir, US is getting lot of money in terms of C 130J, C 17, p8 and possibly some helicopters too. In case we go ahead with EF, we can increase number of scorpenes and add some mistrals, or if we go for rafale, some U boats and some orders to foreign yards for IN ships. Trust me no body will be un happy. Top contenders from Europe is just start of long term investment to create a friendly space for us in Geo Politics

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
China is a back biters and one shouldn't be surprised by this. India may do some romantic diplomatic gesture with China but it has no chip in hand to make them deal such important seat. India has to increase its nuisance value for China otherwise they are not going to take you seriously. China feels good to be with powerful league but ignores weak.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles