Open letter to a delhi boy

jamwal

Country flag
I am living in Delhi for more than 2 years now. Al though the article seems to be superficially true, but most of the facts are blown out of proportion and too much generalizations. True that quite a few guys In Delhi are like that, but it's also true that jackasses like that are every where, it's not really a exclusive Delhi syndrome. At the risk of sounding stupid, I think that Jat/ Gujjar crowd from Haryana and UP (Gurgaon, Noida) fit in quite well with what's written in that article. BUt at the same time, I know quite a few Hrayanavis and UP people who are really nice.
So, even though it seems like an interesting and humorous article from an exasperated South Indian female, it's tone makes it no better than an angry generalizing rant. You'll find half-wits as well as really good people here. Too bad , if you bump in to former mostly

Here is the link to that blog:http://raagshahana.blogspot.com/2011/09/open-letter-to-delhi-boy.html

Last edited:

Phenom

That has nothing to do with women (treatment of, crimes against), that's a different issue. Actually, that's a non-issue. The conflict between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu is non-ethinic, it's economic. There are Kaveri river-water sharing disputes, and that's largely alleviated (if not resolved). This simple river water dispute magically becomes something much bigger and strays into ethnic or linguistic chauvinism during state elections in either states, but even that doesn't amount to a "tussle", let alone a "conflict".

Again, there's no ethnic tussle between Tamils and Kannadigas. There is a ton of economic activity between the two states.
Very true,

The rivalry between TN and Karnataka is very old, but in the recent years it has slowly diminished, it may rise again though, if some politician from either state tries to use it for political gain, like Yeddy did with Hogenekal.

On Topic;

While culturally the southern states are different from each other, like TR said, family structure in the south is quite similar, with Kerala being slightly more matriarchic than the rest.

Elmo

This woman is a brilliant (cathartic) writer. Reading her other blogposts. Love this one: Broken Morning: August 2011

Especially this bit, this is sooooo me: " Optimists are always a bad idea. Especially when you know there a lot to crib about and the world is against you. So there I was, with the most cheerful, happy couple I knew and could not be more peeved................ As luck would have it, the first post I read was about how we pessimists should be left alone and that positive thinking can go take a bloody walk (I felt like saying piss, but I am a lady)."

Adux

Country flag
Infact, its better not to make ethinic or racial issues out of personal issues. Its silly extrapolation and excessive exaggeration. Its an issue between one boy and another gal, thats it.
Like it or not, there are some reason' stereotypes exist. Some of them are true. There is a difference between stereotypes, and racist condescending attitude.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There are good, indifferent and rank bad people in every State or community.

One cannot broadbrush a stereotype.

That said, having moved to practically the length and breadth of India, I do understand the lady's sentiment. There is no doubt that quite a few of the Delhi chaps and some others from upcountry do feel that they are God's gift to Mankind.

bhogta

This is a racist blog. By the way more Delhi boys going in IIT then whole Tamil nadu boys. This is a new fashion to bash north Indian.

Oracle

Guys, relax. She just needs to be laid. She smells of coconut oil I guess and no wonder why she had not had a censored.

Btw, most people who clear IAS are from Bihar, who are called rotiwallahs, bhaiyyas and migrants and what not.

Cheers, Bihari bhaiyyas. I am waiting for the day when there is a Bihari dude in an administrative position in every single district in India.

Last edited by a moderator:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
If you go to US i am sure some women will write the same about the CONFIDENT WHITE BOY attitude and making fun of others accents, if you go to China i am sure those low waste jeans wearing wanna be WHITE BOY hun chinese will talk the same way to impress a girl, if you came to the South and meet me when i was a teen i would not have been different!!

This is more of young male attitude and goofiness than anything to do with race. There are young domineering young males and there are coy young males and that is goes for every society. Offcourse there are some societies that teach manners to control it but it never the less shows up. This is off-course written by a women, how much do you expect her to understand! :D

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Guys, relax. She just needs to be laid. She smells of coconut oil I guess and no wonder why she had not had a co.ck.

Btw, most people who clear IAS are from Bihar, who are called rotiwallahs, bhaiyyas and migrants and what not.

Cheers, Bihari bhaiyyas. I am waiting for the day when there is a Bihari dude in an administrative position in every single district in India.
Thats has to be the most intelligent and well thought out psychological analysis i have read so far from anyone! Kudos, she needs to get censored and smell cocoanut oil.

Oracle

Thats has to be the most intelligent and well thought out psychological analysis i have read so far from anyone! Kudos, she needs to get censored and smell cocoanut oil.
Thanks.

I would like to be honest. I hear that from you everyday.

Cheers!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Note

Please refrain from vulgarity, if you will!

Doesn't behove the standard of this forum.

Thanks.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
She is ignorant herself and is pointing the finger of ignorance at others :pound: Not all people in delhi are punjabi...not even half are punjabi.

I dont know about gays but any warm blooded guy would go after beauty rather than brains. If she not good looking then she shouldn't make up excuses like racism etc because lets face it people in delhi are not naturally blonde with blue eyes.

Problem is few people from south come with a chip on there shoulders expecting others to respect them but dont receive it in the north and then throw a hissy fit.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
OPEN LETTER TO A TROUBLED WOMAN

Áµis the season for open letters

I'm a part 'madrasan' just like you! And I began to read your post with something akin to amusement because I live in Delhi and am very aware of the foibles of the Dilliwalas. I love it nonetheless for embracing me and giving me a home. About 5 lines down your post, I felt a little ashamed of having ever thought that I was 'just like you'. It seems nigh impossible to fall that low. For every Daalli boy living in Defence Callony there is a Medraus boy getting up 'early in the maarning'. Where is this getting us if as a country we make fun of our regional accents and aspire to a more 'neutral (read as American/Brit) accent? Are you ashamed of your skin, accent or your food habits? Then why shame them on their accents? Would you laugh at a French accent? You'll be weighed down by your colonial hangover, lady.

Autistic three year old? How witty and compassionate of you to make fun of a child with a disability. If you'll be playing for the South Indian team, I think you just scored a self goal. For every showy Punjabi I've encountered a stingy, parochial Madrasi who won't invite me into the house for a glass of water. For every caste based temple not allowing people in, there is a gurudwara that will feed you at the langar without bothering to ask after your background or gender. But hey, I really hope the 'punjabis' don't define us by the odd cranky old miser.

I've never understood the issue with muscular Punjabi men either are you really saying we lovely doe-eyed ladies prefer pot bellies and skinny legs peeping out from under mundus? I for one would never diss my man if he worked out, simply because it's a 'Punjabi thing' to do. It's a healthy thing to do and you're welcome to the shapeless slugs. Or did you mean that South Indian men are by definition, unfit and shapeless? I take offence on behalf of the rather fit men in my family. Honestly, I prefer my men well groomed, not smelling of coconut oil, and definitely no dusty feet in leather slippers. I don't exactly want him to shave his chest, but hell, a little pride in their looks wouldnt do our guys any harm.

What was that again about SUVs and big cars? If I had a buck for every South Indian man who talked about cars and gizmos, I'll be on a cruise instead of wasting my time writing this post right now. Our good old Coimbatore at one point had the highest number of imported cars. You might want to read this.

The open cascading tresses clearly you havent seen a Punjabi woman or even a Sikh man let down his hair. The Bongs can give us a run for our money too, in the eyes and hair department. And really sistah, I quite like my shaggy flip out and refuse to buy into the stereotypical long hair and olive skin bullshit. Who are you to define my South Indianness for me? I'm dark and I accept it why do you need to sugarcoat it? Bug you much? To say nothing of the fair skinned actresses we're importing for our films. It frustrates me. If our men appreciated us for what we are, we'll not need the Northies on our screens.

And really girl, did you have to bring up Hema Malini and Sridevi of all women? Them of the adultery, the second marriages, the conversions, the plastic surgery and botox fame? Aishwarya with her annoying accent (it'll probably caused by the smile she got redone) and fake marriage is our claim to fame? I thank you NOT! Funny how all three of them picked Punjabi and UP men when the time came, huh? Good for them. It just leaves the 'Madrasi' men free for us. I got my sweet boy from Karnataka instead of Ash!

You're not scrawny? My sympathies I could offer you the number of a dietician. We're built much smaller and more petite than the bigger built Punjabans and Haryanvis (God bless their souls and the ghee loaded parathas) who make an effort to stay fit. So maybe you need to get off your soapbox and on to a treadmill. I have to admit I prefer my murukku and kaapi to the treadmill but I am not going to grudge another woman her efforts. The first thing we women need to do is stop hating other women because they're making an effort we're not willing to.

One tiny matriarchal community does not a trend make. Have you missed the acid attacks? And the dowry we offer for our lovely daughters is mind-numbing. If I'm paying 3 crores for an engineer I'll like him to lose the pot belly and the hair oil please! Colleges with separate benches for boys and girls in salwar kameezes (yes, I can say it like them punjabans!). I'll hardly call that the height of freedom. And I'll say we need to fight against oppression and violence against women instead of just using statistics to score points. At the end of the day, irrespective of geographical location, it is still our gender being oppressed.

Amma-appa sound cooler than mom-dad to you? How could you be so petty as to pick up on something so ridiculous? Were you running out of real jokes? Bharatnatyam is a higher art form than the gidda or Kathak because you say so? I'm tired of this whole 'Attitude' we have because to me it reeks of inferiority. And I am damned if I am going to me made to feel inferior about my food, my body, my skin colour or my roots. Let's lighten up, let down the butt length tresses and accept that we play Punjabi music at our discos for fun.

You lost me at the girls doing fake marches (check out what these LSR girls are doing, by the way)? What exactly is it that other college kids are doing that is so much more significant? They're just college kids, leave them alone to have fun while they can!

What really got to me was the fleeing Pakistan reference. Are we so cold as to make a sneering reference to something that was so painful? Partition brought loss, bodies piled up in trains, blood, entire families wiped out don't we share history with them? Are you kidding when you say that you come from a defence background? I'm horrified that a girl from a defence background has been brought up to be so divisive. Is this the way the other kids in the armed forces think? I won't go into statistics of the Sikh regiment and the history of every family giving a son to the army, all while we were sitting around perfecting an attack on the chess board dipping our paruppu vadais in coconut chutney. Would any of us consider saying something so heartless about Tibet/Kashmir/Cambodia?

As for them not liking our food are you kidding me? The Brunch carried an article on how the dosa has become the national dish tit for tat, Hindi as official language! You'll find dosas at every corner stall in Delhi and everywhere else in the country although I must raise an objection to the paneer and Chinese dosas! What if they get started on the image of licking rasam off elbows? Because if we pick on the lowest common denominator to judge them by, they have every right to define us by the elbow lickers.

By the end of your post I was embarrassed for you. For the anger, the bitterness, the hatred and the vulnerability you let slip through. I have no idea what brought it on, but a good bottle of wine and some girl friends and a box of tissues might have been more effective. What you've done is unforgivable you've drawn lines and swords and hurt a lot of my 'Punjabi' friends. And oh yes, as someone else said if you don't want to be called Madrasi, learn to differentiate between Punjabi and Delhiite. Everyone is welcome in Delhi, and Munirka and RK Puram are mini-Tamil Nadus themselves. I buy my dosa maav and podi from there.

And finally, I'm appalled by some of your lines " Texas chainsaw massacre your face? Your dead Dadi? Your mother's shaven bosom? Kalari your tongue up your ass? Shove so many coconuts? " Way to lose control of your own blog post and make a fool of yourself. These are some of the crassest and most rabid statements I've heard this side of the Vindhyas. It's a pity you fell so low while trying to make a point on superiority or heck, even equality. To quote them Punjabis, you've MC-BCed our case altogether in this badly cobbled together, poor attempt at wit. Because you crossed the line into coarse, foul and ignoble. And you're dragging the rest of us into the mire. Maybe you just need a good nap or a cold glass of coconut water so that you can cool off and consider what you allowed your ire to lead you into.

I apologise to all those offended by Ms Shahana's little hissy fit here. We have our good and we have our bad and to attack prejudice with prejudice is not the way the rest of us South Indians work. I need to get back to cracking my IIT now. Apparently Ms Shahana thinks I have no other choice or mind of my own. Now did I put my pen in my Fendi bag or my Gucci clutch?

And oh, Ms Shahana, I have a request. In future, do not presume to write on behalf of all Madrasis. Not all of us are quite as bigoted or rabid.

Lowe,

MM (I proudly spell it Yem-Yay-Dee, Yem-O-Yem-Yem-Yay), yet another mocha coloured Madrasan married to a sweet fayer Sawth Indian boy.

PS: Okay lets kiss and make up, North and South Indians. And let's drag the Pakistanis into this with this lovely song Hona Tha Pyar.
'Tis the season for open letters | The Mad Momma Online

PWND !

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
She is ignorant herself and is pointing the finger of ignorance at others :pound: Not all people in delhi are punjabi...not even half are punjabi.

I dont know about gays but any warm blooded guy would go after beauty rather than brains. If she not good looking then she shouldn't make up excuses like racism etc because lets face it people in delhi are not naturally blonde with blue eyes.

Problem is few people from south come with a chip on there shoulders expecting others to respect them but dont receive it in the north and then throw a hissy fit.
Punjabis make up 10-15% of Delhi's population; Jaat Gujjars 15-20%, Muslims 10-15%, Baniyas 10-15% but this is from extrapolation of semi-official census, unofficially due to massive influx of migrants Punjabis would be <10% of Delhi's population.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Boy o boy...that was a true "Texas chainsaw massacre" and I can already see some "saver pack" versions sprouting coir :pound:
Amazing choice of words.:p

@AV,

Nice try playing on the Kaveri water dispute. When she meant south Indians , she meant south Indians. Moreover go take a look at the comments and see how many maharastrians and bongs identifying with her.Heck there were many northies and Punjabis too who had to grudgingly agree with the content.

KS

Bye bye DFI

Like the way northies come to our place in search of a livelihood , refuse to learn the local language, refuse to adapt to the local culture and then throw a hissy fit like a three year old cribbing that these damn madrasis don't speak the "national language" just for these guys' convenience ????

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Punjabis make up 10-15% of Delhi's population; Jaat Gujjars 15-20%, Muslims 10-15%, Baniyas 10-15% but this is from extrapolation of semi-official census, unofficially due to massive influx of migrants Punjabis would be <10% of Delhi's population.
In delhi no "region" enjoys a majority...it is a mix up of all areas mainly from north though.

In anycase that girl suffers from inferiority complex.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Like the way northies come to our place in search of a livelihood , refuse to learn the local language, refuse to adapt to the local culture and then throw a hissy fit like a three year old cribbing that these damn madrasis don't speak the "national language" just for these guys' convenience ????
Is hindi national language ?

No. Northies have not forced anything down your throat so stop moaning.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Is hindi national language ?

No. Northies have not forced anything down your throat so stop moaning.

Failed to detect the sarcasm..?Yes its not the national language and it was a reference to the ignoramuses who still think hindi is our national language and there are still plenty of them as I could se in the comment section of that blog.

You tried once in the 60s to force it down our throats and failed miserably. Get out of that sense of defeat asap.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles