One-third of Chinese do not speak Putonghua, says Education Ministry

Discussion in 'China' started by Ray, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Those who have followed me on China would have seen the vehement, vociferous denials by the Chinese posters on any and everything I wrote to prove that I was wrong and even called a racist.

Now, there is one of the issue on which the Chinese posters bluff has been called.

it is their own Communist Govt who have exonerated my contention.

And this one that Mandarin, which they claimed is one language and understood by all. This has been proved to be patently false and that I was right all through.

The Chinese Govt in 1955 introduced what is known as Putonghua or simplified Chinese has not been accepted to be universal inspite of very ardent effort to do so, and effort that is not difficult in a totalitarian country where protest and dissensions can be brushed out and trampled under the boot of the police brutality.

The Southern Chinese are clear about their separate identity and so they have not taken kindly to the sly and cunning imposition of the Northern Mandarin spoken in Peking by modifying it and selling it as the only Mandarin that is acceptable.

three in 10 of China’s 1.3 billion population are unable and refuse to communicate in Putonghua

And they are not ready to have their TV programmes converted to the Peking style Putonghua Mandarin.

So much for the much touted and tomtomed Chinese posters claim that Han is one huge homogeneous whole!

One more Han falsehood promoted by our Chinese posters stands exposed by their OWN Government.

Any comment @nimo_cn, @mylegend, @CCP, @shiphone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Re: One-third of Chinese do not speak Putonghua, says Education Minist

Cantonese and Mandarin are not dialects but two different languages.

Southern Chinese do not know Northern language like Mandarin and vice versa.

CCP calls then as a dialects which is a big lie.

There various languages in China which are called dialects by CCP.

Sambha ka Boss and TrueSpirit1 like this.
  4. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

spoken and written and reading all different variables.

the presumption is that the reading variable keeps the unity, concord and harmony. also there is the dominance of english in business.

not sure what the Singaporeans, Malaysian, Indonesians, and overseas chinese and even taiwanese, hong kong, north korea and tibetans have to say to CCP presumptions and variable interpretations towards the same.

but it was ingenious (not sure the history how and why) to make the written "chinese" language common and matching in different spoken areas.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  5. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

I know that there are a couple of Indian posters here who have travelled around China, I think they are more justified to comment than the thread starter who mainly learns about China through Internet.

I hope they will come to share their experiences about China.

If my memory serves, @Bangalorean and @Singh have been to China.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2

6. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

first of all the OP is ridiculous to claim that "PRC first estbalished Putonghua as the official language". as a matter of fact there had been an official link language for thousands of years like the one of "elegance" used in the court as recorded in the 《Poem》of Zhou Dynasty.

historically there was a set of strict rules for nomination of officials of all ranks, like a certain level of positions could not be held by locals (as specific as within xxx—mile periphery around his hometown) to avoid nepotism and regionalism. national examinations (keju) were held to cull mandarins regularly and emporers had to meet those top performers in person. it was unthinkable the candidates were not able to communicate with Human Resources personnel (hubu) at the central which was in charge of their performance appraisal! or how could they govern without language proficiency when cross-posting was compulsory away from their hometowns?

the word "putong" means "common, ordinary".

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

7. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Though I have traveled to China 7 times (and to Hong Kong 12 times), I don't know a word of Cantonese or Mandarin. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to learn, since I was always on consulting assignments, staying in hotels, and all interaction happened in English.

So, I am by no means an expert on Chinese languages. But what I do know is that people from Hong Kong look down upon mainland Chinese - I have heard several Hong Kongers passing snide remarks about mainlanders. In fact, throughout East Asia, I observed a strange phenomenon: I have seen that almost everyone looks down on everyone else. The South Koreans hate the Japanese and Chinese, the Chinese hate the Japanese and South Koreans, the Taiwanese have political problems with China, and dislike Japan totally. Japanese don't like Chinese and Koreans, and look down upon them. Hong Kongese people look down upon people from mainland China, and detest the Japanese. Everyone hates North Korea - both Japan and South Korea hate the NoKo establishment. Chinese find them crazy and idiotic too.

8. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

very honest observations!

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2

9. Ray

The Chinese Han loves to declare the different languages as 'dialects' in total conformity of their duplicitous approach and fooling the world.

I have repeatedly indicated that they are not dialects but different languages, but the Chinese posters go into a tizzy to prove that I am wrong. based on their personal opinion and with no facts to refute what I have stated with links!

They live in denial and peddling falsehood as truth.

Srinivas_K and SADAKHUSH like this.
  10. Ray

Putonghua rated more 'weird' than Cantonese in language study

Putonghua ranks among the top 25 "weirdest“ languages in the world, while Cantonese was among the 10 least "weirdest", according to linguistic findings from a US database.

The research, published by San Francisco-based consulting firm Idibon, may come as a surprise to language learners who struggle with the nine tones of Cantonese, compared with four for Putonghua.

"Weirdness" was determined by comparing the linguistic features of 239 languages, including word order, types of sounds and ways of forming negation, according to Tyler Schnoebelen, co-founder and senior data scientist at Idibon, which helps businesses make sense of language data.

By employing a “non-English-centric approach”, the study evaluates “weirdness” of a certain language not by how different it is compared with English, but by how unusual its features are from all the other languages in the project, said Schnoebelen, who holds a doctorate from Stanford.

The language that was most different, or the “weirdest”, was Chalcatongo Mixtec, spoken by 6,000 people in Oaxaca, Mexico. Hindi, one of the official languages of India, was rated the least “weird”, or the most ”non-deviant“ language in the newly released Language Weirdness Index.

English ranks No 33 on the index.

“Part of this is to say that some of the languages you take for granted as being normal, like English, Spanish or German, consistently do things different,” said Schnoebelen.

But surprisingly, Putonghua - commonly perceived as an easier language than Cantonese - is more "weird" than Cantonese, and even French, Icelandic and Japanese.

Unlike Cantonese, Putonghua has “uvular continuants” and some limits on “velar nasals” (as in the ng sound), which are features considered rare worldwide, said Schnoebelen. This could have contributed to its higher ”weirdness“ values.

In an e-mail to the South China Morning Post, Schnoebelen further explained:

An example of a "uvular continuants" in Mandarin would be something like "和" [often pronounced as hé, meaning "with"]. Mandarin is one of only 12 out of 567 languages that have a uvular sound but it is only a continuant - a continuant has continuing airflow. Cantonese doesn't have any uvular consonants at all.

Lester Chan, a Cantonese tutor in Hong Kong, said many features of the ancient Chinese language, now lost in Putonghua, have been preserved in Cantonese.

For instance, Cantonese can have a nasal sound like ng at both the beginning and the end of words, but Putonghua can only have the sound at the end. Chan said he wasn’t surprised that such features was considered “weird” by the study.

"Cantonese is like the majority of the world's languages - 468 out of 567- in that it is happy having velar nasals anywhere in a word," said Schnoebelen. "A good example is the Cantonese pronunciation of 我 [ngo meaning 'I']."

Chris Lam, a Cantonese and Putonghua tutor at the International Language Centre in Central, said weirdness probably does not indicate how hard a language is to learn. Most of his foreign students have found learning Cantonese more challenging, he said.

“For starters, Cantonese has nine tones, and Putonghua has only four,” Lam said.

But Lam said the fact that Cantonese is harder hasn’t thwarted the students, who learn Cantonese to communicate with locals and Putonghua to do business with mainland China.

Said Schnoebelen: “I think people want to use the weirdness scale to talk about language difficulty. But I don't really think it can be used that way. Motivation [to learn a language] and immersion are much more important than structural facts.”

Putonghua rated more 'weird' than Cantonese in language study | South China Morning Post

11. Ray

What must be noted and is of import is that Mandarin, in the guise of Modern Standard Chinese, was adopted in 1956 as the officially sanctioned language for the nation.

Therefore, the Chinese posters remain exposed of the falsehood that historically, what they claim as the 'Chinese langiage' was the same!

Ping Pong maybe taken to be a game, but Ping and Pong are not the same when it is written.

sesha_maruthi27 and Peter like this.
  12. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

HongKong is also bullied by China and locals hate Chinese. HongKong wants freedom from China.

China Is on the Attack Against Hong Kong Democracy Movement Occupy Central - US News
    [​IMG]

Hong Kong's Democracy Movement Gets Attention in Taiwan
    [​IMG]
    Occupy Central protesters march with 500-meter long black cloth, which they say symbolizes the loss of credibility in Beijing's refusal to allow true democracy in Hong Kong, Sept. 14, 2014.

Hong Kong independence movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sesha_maruthi27 and Peter like this.
  13. esolve

esolve Regular Member

these 1/3 is nearly the old Chinese ppl, especially the minority
    or some middle-aged ppl with strong accent.
    a chinese who speak putonghua with strong dialect is not counted as putonghua speaker
    It is like, strong Indian-style English is not counted as English coz when some indians speak english with strong accent, many ppl can't understand

14. Ray

Thank you for your weak and lame excuse.

But then truth is not a virtue for Communist Chinese.

I presume you will also call the Chinese Govt Ministry and Minister as talking through the wrong orifice.

Maybe you are right.

But how can one be sure that others scrambling for cover of falsehood are not emulating them?

The Han normally speak with one voice, at least on this forum.

15. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

I get this.

It is when we DFIans cannot understand the strong Chinese posters in DFI who are hiding behind Italian flags and the hidden agenda behind their posts.

:pound: :rofl: :rofl: :pound:

16. Ray

It is called 双面 欺骗; 骗局; 诡计; 骗子
    Two-sided fraud; fraud; tricks; con artists

sesha_maruthi27 likes this.
  17. Sambha ka Boss

Sambha ka Boss Regular Member

All your TV program are run with Pictograph subtitles because there is nothing called a single Chinese language. Mandarin is a proper language based on Putonghua.

18. Sambha ka Boss

Sambha ka Boss Regular Member

All your TV program are run with Pictograph subtitles because there is nothing called a single Chinese language. Mandarin is a proper language based on Putonghua.

19. esolve

esolve Regular Member

who told you that all TV program are subtitled?
    besides, nothing wrong with subtitle, coz seeing is easier than listening, I prefer TV programs with subtitles, it is just a habbit

20. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Are you Chinese?

21. esolve

esolve Regular Member

yes, a Chinese in italy