On religious discrimination, India next only to Iraq: US thinktank

Discussion in 'West Asia & Africa' started by EnlightenedMonk, Dec 22, 2009.

1. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

On religious discrimination, India next only to Iraq: US thinktank

On religious discrimination, India next only to Iraq: US thinktank - India - The Times of India

3. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

To me, it seems like a politically motivated report produced under pressure from some Middle Eastern nations which want to project India in bad light...

Seems like a really pathetic joke compared to some of the activities taking place in the Middle East...

4. ppgj

ppgj Senior Member Senior Member

USA perceives itself as some moral guardian of the world giving sermons on religious freedom, human rights etc.. thro' various annual reports and think tanks.
    china did the right thing when they brought out similar annual reports on human rights and they went quiet after that.
    time for india to do the same. india has been an example of plurality and coexistence for ages and has been acknowledged so by intellectuals all over. there is nothing to hide and instances if any are hotly contested by the free media.

5. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Why do you assume ME nations had anything to do with a report that actually puts the ME as a region at the top of the list in terms of overall religious freedom. It is based on PEW research group that is based in Washington.

The main issue is with perceptions here. The report divides relgious freedom between social hostility and government controls. While India does well on the government control index, it fares bad on the social hostility according to PEW research. The section on India actually focusses mainly on hostility to Christians mainly around conversion issues. Examples are given on pg 45-48 of the report.

I guess we will have to look at the source and methodology of the data but its possible that they have focussed only on prominent media covered incidents and communal riots instead of taking an overall survey which would have shown that giving such a high social hositliy score just doesn't make any sense.

The full report can be accessed here
    Pew Forum: Global Restrictions on Religion: Executive Summary