Oh My God ! Movie hurts religious sentiments

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Several religious organizations have complained that their revenues have gone down all thanks to the film 'Oh My God'.

Oh My God truly has set the impression of the title in its true sense. It's been heard that surprisingly the revenues of several religious organizations have gone down because of the film Oh My God. This is an issue which has been raised by these religious organizations.

A source closely associated with the film reveals, "OMG has a message, in which it describes how, when an individual donates money to various religious organizations, temples and institutes, it may sometimes not be used for its correct purpose. So instead of donating to these religious organizations, why can't we donate this money to the ones who are in real need of it - like a charity organization or an NGO?"

"In fact there are various old age homes who are in need of some good finance. Also there are many orphanages that require finance to fulfill the needs of the children there", adds the source. "It's said that these actions are equivalent to doing good deeds in your life. And these actions have started taking place in real life after the film OMG has conveyed its message to the audience".

Perhaps thereby the revenues of some religious organizations have come down. But we hope the money is now going to the right place!

OMG brings down revenues of religious groups - The Times of India

warriorextreme

Country flag
I have never donated more than 1 rupee in any temple in my life and I never will.

Blackwater

I have never donated more than 1 rupee in any temple in my life and I never will.

Mee too, never put more than 10 cent in gurudawara here in Holland. i know committee member ne kha pee jane ha. yes i do help by buying langar stuff personally from store but not with money

i will also prefer to help needy by buying stuff not by paying money

panduranghari

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/9563069/German-Catholics-to-be-denied-Communion-under-church-tax-rule.html

In a move decried by a progressive Catholic group, the German bishops' conference last week issued a decree, saying it was "worried" about the Catholic Church's dwindling numbers and wanted to stem the drop.
Confession, the Eucharist, confirmation in the Church or anointing of the sick – unless the patient's life is in danger – are now out of bounds for anyone who leaves the Church, the decree, which took effect Monday, stated.
Becoming a godparent is also off limits, it said.
Germany has had a system in place since the 19th century asking residents to either officially declare their religion and pay a church tax, or to be classed as "non-religious".
The levy amounts to between eight and 10 per cent of income tax, depending on where the person lives.

A change in status from being a member of a religion requires a formal procedure to "leave the Church", as an increasing number of Germans have done, mostly from the Catholic Church but also from the Protestant faith.
A report in April 2011 showed that paedophile priest scandals in Germany had contributed to a 40-per cent rise in the number of Catholics leaving the Church a year earlier.
Although the new decree permits a religious marriage for anyone who has left the Church, it stipulates two conditions – permission from the local religious authorities and a promise to keep the faith and uphold the religious education of any children in the Catholic faith.
However the bishops' decree said "if the person who has left the Church has not displayed any regret before their death, a religious burial may be refused".
A progressive Catholic movement reacted angrily to the move.
"It's a bad decree coming at a bad time," the "We Are Church" ("Wir Sind Kirche") group said in a statement.
"Instead of tackling the reasons for Church-leaving in large numbers, this bishops' decree is a threat to the people of the Church and is not going to motivate people to remain loyal or to join the community of those who pay their church tax," it said.
Germany's population of nearly 82 million is about one third Catholic and one third Protestant.
Source: AFP

SHURIDH

Oh My God: Police complaint against Akshay, Paresh Rawal

A senior Punjab Mahila Congress leader of Punjab has lodged a complaint with Jalandhar police against film actors Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal for their film 'Oh My God' (OMG) along with theproducer, director and writer of the film for hurting religious sentiments of Hindus.
State Mahila Congress vice president Nimisha Mehta along with presidents of three Hindu organizations in her complaint toCommissioner of Police has described the dialogues and sequences of the film in which Hindu beliefs and practices have been ridiculed. Meanwhile she has also sent legal notices through her counsels to Akshay, Rawal and others for deleting these portions and to tender andapology.
The complaint has pointed out that a s cene picturized on PareshRawal , latter is shown is purchasing idols of divine Hindu gods, and uttering these words (dialogues) " Ek dozen bade pet wale Ganpati de, aath body builder Hannuman de, dhai sau wala Krishan de, Panch tiger wale de (Sheranwali mata), teen dozen ho gaye, teen Sai Baba to bonus me milega kya ".
The complained has said that Hindus perform their worship through idols of the icons and these serve as a tangible link between the worshiper and God. " The image is often considered amanifestation of God, since God is imminent," the complaint has said while also quoting from Padma Purana.
"I n the next scene picturized in abus on Paresh Rawal and various other artistes, it has been shown that liquor like substance is being poured into sacred pot (Gangajal) and various charactersare being shown drinking the substance from it and when a female character questions "ismekya hai?" , Paresh Rawal are shown uttering these words"Gangajal hai ".
It has also mentioned another sequence where Akshay and Rawal respectively speak "Main bhagwan hoon", "Hamare bhagwan aise nahi hote hain bare body", and then Akshay again replies, "Kya ha abhi mera latest photo facebook pe update nahi hua".
Apart from Akshay and Rawal, director and writer Umesh Shukla , writer Bhavesh Mandalia have also been named in the film or deliberately and intentionally, outraging and hurting the religious feelings, beliefs and sentiments of complainant, as the dialogues and scenes in picture shows disrespect and insult towards the Hindu religion, its belief and practices.

drkrn

Mee too, never put more than 10 cent in gurudawara here in Holland. i know committee member ne kha pee jane ha. yes i do help by buying langar stuff personally from store but not with money

i will also prefer to help needy by buying stuff not by paying money

appreciate your attitude.
heard people in golden temple Amritsar too wont accept money ,but only materials for needy

sob

Mod
Country flag
Read in the papers that Akshay Kumar after making the movie has decided not to go to various temples to pray for the success of his movies. Instead he will donate the money spent on these visits to a Cancer Hospital in Mumbai.

If this is true then I fully support the movie and request to the Government to make it tax free so that all can see it and be positively influenced.

Zebra

Country flag
'Oh My God' Movie Trailer

'OMG Oh My God' - Official Trailer - Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal

Last edited by a moderator:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Beautiful lines from NitiCentral :-

"The idea of god, as it is understood in this country is not something beyond reproach or criticism. India's pluralist society rests on the foundation of an age old tradition of critical self-examination. This is where all religions are respected, and all religions are criticized, all the time."

Source - OMG! Hindus don't run riot over films | Niti Central

Excerpt :

A pleasant realization that struck me as I watched OMG, was the comfort with which a predominantly Hindu audience appreciated the movie. Cinematic presentations much less critical than this have brought about blasphemy-powered riots in various countries in recent times. In a country as largely Hindu as India, very little mention is made of this in-built spirit of self-critical humility among the people. Instead, what people of the world's most pluralist society get are sanctimonious lectures teaching us 'tolerance' and 'secularism'.

I think the very fact that a movie as potentially controversial as OMG could be conceived, get made, and be telecast all over the country to appreciative audiences, speaks volumes about how comfortable Indians are with respect to matters related to religion. India and Indians have, for ages, been in the middle of an ongoing religious discourse. A discourse that has excluded no philosophy — not even atheism, a philosophy that often finds itself at odds with religion in the West.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I was pleased to see people clapping when religious thekedars were being dragged through the mud.

Brought a smile to my face...it is only the beginning :)

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Read in the papers that Akshay Kumar after making the movie has decided not to go to various temples to pray for the success of his movies. Instead he will donate the money spent on these visits to a Cancer Hospital in Mumbai.
Finally, a manifestation of wisdom. Service to fellow humans is service to God. Well done.

As far as some groups raising concerns go, imho, these are the very kind of people who are responsible for dragging Sanatan dharma into the circus called 'hinduism' today. I haven't seen the movie but from what I gather from these posts here suggest that the movie takes up very relevant and important issues. No point trying to suppress these issues using same tactics like Muslims, because ours is not a religion per se, but something much much above that.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I saw the movie, nothing harmful for any religion in it.

It is a bold fun-filled attempt to give alternate perspective at how we look at religious institutes.

People who are complaining should find a corner & cry for themselves.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles