Occupy Delhi? Anna Hazare and the Occupy movement

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Maura Youngman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Maura Youngman

Maura Youngman New Member

Singh likes this.
  3. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

No connection whatsoever. Anna Hazare's movement is home-grown, it represents the anguish of common people of India against the corrupt practices prevalent in the governments (central and state). This movement is not against the corporates, or the economic system.

People are not challenging system, they are trying to make it better.

Source: me, I have been an active participant in this movement.

4. Maura Youngman

Thanks much for your response, amitkriit. To be honest (I live in the United States) I have only very recently heard of Anna Hazare and needless to say am very much a beginner in understanding all it represents.

Perhaps due to my proximity to the movement, I know a little more about Occupy than Hazare. I would argue that the Occupy movement is very much home-grown and representative of "anguish of the common people" (aka: the 99%) as well as a backlash against what are viewed as corrupt practices prevalent both in government and other entities as seen as wielding too much power and influence over said government (example: lobbying firms, "Wall Street," and various behemoth financial institutions.) So I'm not sure the movements are so different at that level. What do you think?

5. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

6. Maura Youngman

Thanks, Galaxy. Again, totally new here so sorry if this has all been discussed before.

Best
    Maura

7. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Occupy is a fight against corruption of the corporates while anna hazare's is a fight against the corruption of politicians, bureaucrats and the government. Both have same objective but the target is different.

Singh and W.G.Ewald like this.
  8. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

There is a huge difference, like I said before, people in India have great faith in the system, but we don't want the corrupt politicians ruining our lives. Everything went peacefully, Laws were not broken, businesses were run smoothly, not one person was hurt in the police action, in fact all policemen watching the movement and controlling the crowd were unarmed.

This movement has been defined as the second freedom movement of India by many people "Freedom from Corruption".

Singh likes this.
  9. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

10. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

The target is the same.

You think the corporates would be successful if they weren't in it with the politicians ? Many politicians are themselves members in the board of directors.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  11. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

The grievances are genuine, both for the Anna Movement as well as the Occupy Protesters. There is a lot in common, such as fight against corruption, by policians or by corporates; similarly, there is a lot in common in hypocrisy as well with the Anna Movement and the Occupy Protesters.

Won't take credit away from either cause, but take the dramatis personae with a pinch of salt!

[​IMG]

12. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

I think this is totally wrong portrayal. The occupy wall street is more against financial corporates like Goldman Sachs, credit rating agencies, Banking behemoths etc who were responsible for the 2008 sub-prime crisis and the resultant financial mess and job losses.

13. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Actually many large banks were victims themselves. Don't forget the housing bubble. Bank of America suffered a lot. I know because many of my friends lost their jobs.

The point in that picture is that while people are very keep to show off and satisfy their hedonistic desires and own 'classy' items ranging from iPhones to BMWs, they often end up living on one meal per day just because they have to pay off their installments etc.. Many sufferers in the US are actually a victim of their own habits. I could write a lot on the habits of using credit cards that many have.