Obama victory infuriates Pakistani drone victims

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by farhan_9909, Nov 8, 2012.

1. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

[​IMG]

ISLAMABAD: The roars celebrating the re-election of US President Barack Obama on television give Mohammad Rehman Khan a searing headache, as years of grief and anger come rushing back.

The 28-year-old Pakistani accuses the president of robbing him of his father, three brothers and a nephew, all killed in a US drone attack a month after Obama first took office.

“The same person who attacked my home has gotten re-elected,” he told Reuters in the capital, Islamabad, where he fled after the attack on his village in South Waziristan, one of several tribal areas near the Afghan border.

“Since yesterday, the pressure on my brain has increased. I remember all of the pain again.”

In his re-election campaign, Obama gave no indication he would halt or alter the drone programme, which he embraced in his first term to kill al Qaeda and Taliban militants in Pakistan and Afghanistan without risking American lives.

“Whenever he has a chance, Obama will bite Muslims like a snake. Look at how many people he has killed with drone attacks,” said Haji Abdul Jabar, whose 23-year-old son was killed in such a bombing.

Analysts say anger over the unmanned aircraft may have helped the Taliban gain recruits, complicating efforts to stabilise the unruly border region between Pakistan and Afghanistan. That could also hinder Obama’s plan to withdraw US trooAfghanistan in 2014.ps from

Obama authorised nearly 300 drone strikes in Pakistan during his first four years in office, more than six times the number during the administration of George W Bush, according to the New America Foundation policy institute.

Since 2004, a total of 337 US drone strikes in Pakistan have killed between 1,908 and 3,225 people.

The institute estimates around 15 percent of those killed were non-militants, although that percentage has declined sharply to around 1-2 percent this year.

Washington says drone strikes are very accurate and cause minimal civilian deaths.

The Pakistani government says tens of thousands of Pakistanis have been killed in the fight against the Taliban insurgency.

Many were civilians caught in suicide bombings. Others were killed by the Pakistani army.

Hard to secure data on drone attacks

Getting accurate data on casualties and the effects of drones is extremely difficult since the government allows few foreigners into the tribal areas and the Taliban often seal off the sites of strikes.

While the aerial campaign has weakened al Qaeda, its ally, the Pakistani Taliban, remains a potent force despite a series of Pakistan army offensives against its strongholds in the northwest.

“We are amazed that Obama has been re-elected. But for us there is no difference between Obama and Romney; both are enemies. And we will keep up our jihad and fight alongside our Afghan brothers to get the Americans out of Afghanistan,” said Pakistan Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan.

On Thursday, a suicide bomber rammed the gates of the Sachal Rangers Headquarters in Karachi, killing at least one official and wounding more than a dozen people.

Pakistanis were largely indifferent in the run-up to Tuesday’s election, expecting little change to the drone attacks regardless of whether Obama or Republican challenger Mitt Romney won.

“Any American, whether Obama or Mitt Romney, is cruel,” said Warshameen Jaan Haji, whose neighbourhood was struck by a drone last week, told Reuters on the eve of the election.

“I lost my wife in the drone attack and my children are injured. Whatever happens, it will be bad for Muslims.”

For Khan, the February 2009 drone attack on his home left him as the main provider for 13 surviving family members, forcing him to move to Islamabad and work with a real estate company.

“When the Sandy hurricane came, I thought that Allah would wipe away America,” he said. “America just wants to take over the world.”

Obama victory infuriates Pakistani drone victims – The Express Tribune

3. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

The placard by the people should be "Drones Fly, Terrorists die". But there is no doubt that there is collateral damage and innocent people also get killed. That's the way of life.

sayareakd likes this.
  4. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

[​IMG]

y these pakis looks kale pele??

i thought they are breed of arabs and turks:taunt1::taunt1:

5. farhan_9909

Collateral damage?i doubt even 1-2% is nt true..beacuse these days only innocents are killed

6. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

look mate Americans are not murderers,they only kill terrorists in those drone attacks.yeah i admit that there are some collateral damage involved but that's the sad part of any war.btw most of these victims are actually linked to terrorist no matter how you and your people support them by saying they are innocnets!

7. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Terrorists embed themselves among innocent people. That is one of the definitions of being a terrorist.

Tshering22 and sayareakd like this.
  8. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

Its happing bcoz pak is not sharing the correct location of there friends with US ...:taunt1:

sayareakd and drkrn like this.
  9. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

never be insensitive for others pain.
    though the intention of drone strikes is good with promising results many civilians children,women too were dying who have nothing to do with this war

if pakistani govt has not authorized these strikes they will become unilateral declaration of war, and i feel sorry for people of pakistan for such a weak govt

10. BangersAndMash

BangersAndMash Regular Member

Pakis crying wolf as usual. There would be no drone attacks if pakistan was not the world's terrorist factory.

spikey360 likes this.
  11. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

It would be so refreshing to see childish posters like this removed.

farhan_9909 likes this.
  12. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

What? They expect Romney to have been any better on this front? If anything, Romney would have puts boots on the ground perhaps. Then drones wouldn't need to fly, but people would die.
    Pakistanis should be grateful that America, the hothead that it is and with the military clout it has, has not yet snatched their nuclear warheads and not invaded it already.

13. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  14. drkrn

i really don't understand one thing about american policies.

" if one american dies - they call opponents terrorists
    every day many civilians are dying and some here are calling civilians as terrorists by definition, not even using words like collateral damage."

double standars

15. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Here starts the PAKI drama of being a victim... when their own people are killed they are victims and CRY for sympathy BUT when the terrorist among the same people kills others in cold blood massacares its nothing but Kaffirs.

This is the reason no one is intrested in showing any mercy on Pakis and drones would continue irrespective of Pakis want or not.

Actually Allah is punishing Pakis for their terrorism today.

16. farhan_9909

wait six months more

Imran khan being PM=last day of pak relations with USA

he will shot down the drone

now they declare war or whatever.we dnt care

17. Daredevil

Drone attacks are happening with permission of Pakistan government, please read news.

The collateral damage caused by drones is negligible in front of the clean up operation by Pakistani Army where they indiscriminately pound the villages with tanks, helicopters and fighter jets. The number of 'internally displaced persons' as a result of Pakistani Army operations run into millions without actually capturing or killing any militants. In comparison drones are very good at specifically targeting and killin Militants with collateral damage of very few people and without any displacement of people. Now, you tell me which is better?.

Also read articles of Farhat Taj, a pushtun woman journalist who extensively reports from the ground level. She says the people in NWFP and FATA are very happy with drone attacks because it kills Militants and give them freedom. All this drones are bad is a propaganda of Pakistani Army,

18. uvbar

uvbar Regular Member

19. farhan_9909

Lol i am from NWFP.basically from miranshah bt living in bannu(only an hour drive)..

so i can give you first hand info.

nt a single person is happy with the drone attack

and read the news plzz again

i am sure you ignored the first post and reading the news.this is the reason you posted so

20. Daredevil

Any time of day, I will take the news of Farhat Taj (an acclaimed journalist) seriously than your word. Internet is filled with people like you who cannot see the reality.

21. drkrn

completely accepted.your points are 100% valid.can't comment on some news reports though my point is not against the use of drones for strikes, but against the policies of both govt's against drone victims
    they could apologize & give ex Gratia isn't it?