Obama Declares June Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month

Oracle

The president Tuesday signed a proclamation recognizing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender month.

"The story of America's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community is the story of our fathers and sons, our mothers and daughters, and our friends and neighbors who continue the task of making our country a more perfect Union," the proclamation said.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) pride month is recognized each June and the Obama administration has recognized it each year it has been in the White House.

In the proclamation, the president notes his own record on issues the LGBT community advocates.

"Since taking office, my Administration has made significant progress towards achieving equality for LGBT Americans," the proclamation said. "Last December, I was proud to sign the repeal of the discriminatory "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy... My Administration has also taken steps to eliminate discrimination against LGBT Americans in Federal housing programs and to give LGBT Americans the right to visit their loved ones in the hospital."

The president also points to the 30th anniversary of AIDS in the proclamation and says his administration has increased funding for research. He called on the LGBT community to use the anniversary as a reason to renew its commitment to finding a cure.

"This landmark anniversary is an opportunity for the LGBT community and allies to recommit toraising awareness about HIV/AIDS and continuing the fight against this deadly pandemic," the proclamation says.

Obama wasn't the first president to begin recognizing LGBT month. Former President Bill Clinton issued the first pride proclamation in June of 1999.

Foxnews

Global Defence

New threads

Articles